Stock Kia Sorento climbs Moab's [censored]'s Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru Legacy
smile.gif

https://jalopnik.com/a-subaru-legacy-just-put-legions-of-jeeps-to-shame-off-1787234886

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Literally a few seconds on google:

Bone stock 2014 Grand Cherokee:

My SRT would probably break off the front lower valance, as it has less ground clearance than the regular GC up front.

Jeep not impressive in This....

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Its just geometry, ground clearance and approach+departure angles. The tranny was using a torque convertor for low speeds which is old stuff.
Should I pretend to be impressed? Its not Rocket Surgery here.

This. If you have the right approach and departure angles, a good driver can make a huge difference. Looking at the vehicle, I'm not surprised with how well it did, and it's good to see they still make vehicles that can do that stock.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Impressive. The Jeep crowd will be upset me thinks.

Since I own a Jeep, I can say there are a lot of idiots in the so called "Jeep crowd" mixed in with the very knowledgeable and humble owners. Lots of guys out there who think having the biggest tires, tallest lift, and a heavy right foot will get you anywhere you want to go. Not really the case. Ground clearance, articulation, center of gravity, wheelbase, approach and departure angles are much bigger factors.

I'm impressed. My wife has an 09 Sorento which was the last year those came with perimeter frames. This last alternator episode aside, it has been a very good car and is pretty darn capable. She wants something new this coming summer. I would kinda like to hang on to the Sorento and have some fun with it but we don't have anywhere to off road or anything cool anywhere close.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm disappointed. Am I the only one to notice that they didn't use a torque wrench on the wheel nuts, but a cordless impact gun?

Anybody hear the back bumper "crunch" sound?

I'm more impressed by the Crown Vic than the Kia commercial.

He drives the car up there so he can access the difficult trails with his bike!
laugh.gif

On youtube there's a lot of people just exploring in the desert. I wish I could do that. My Forester would be perfect for mild stuff. I wouldn't attempt that particular obstacle with my manual trans Forester, though.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Its just geometry, ground clearance and approach+departure angles. The tranny was using a torque convertor for low speeds which is old stuff.
Should I pretend to be impressed? Its not Rocket Surgery here.

This. If you have the right approach and departure angles, a good driver can make a huge difference. Looking at the vehicle, I'm not surprised with how well it did, and it's good to see they still make vehicles that can do that stock.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Impressive. The Jeep crowd will be upset me thinks.

Since I own a Jeep, I can say there are a lot of idiots in the so called "Jeep crowd" mixed in with the very knowledgeable and humble owners. Lots of guys out there who think having the biggest tires, tallest lift, and a heavy right foot will get you anywhere you want to go. Not really the case. Ground clearance, articulation, center of gravity, wheelbase, approach and departure angles are much bigger factors.

You got that right! My small little Cherokee does what I need it to do. And, since I know the limits of it ... I don't often get it into situations that it can't get out of. But I do enjoy wheeling with the large ego folks.

One time, we had one of those guys along for a ride with us. There's a pretty regular local group and we all go wheeling at the same places at the same time. A lot of these trails we cut. A know it all dude shows up and starts telling us (unsuccessfully) how to run the trails we cut. At one I ended up getting stuck. He was in such a hurry and telling us to move our POSes out of the way and that he was going to get us all out. Okay , dude.

I thought he was going to blow a gasket when I pulled out my hand winch and started cranking the jeep backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back