Took son to the range today.

Was going to be last Wed, but 41C in a tin shed firing line was going to be brutal, but pulled it off after work today.

He'll be 13 in a couple months, and at 12 is legal...I just wanted to see if it's something that he's interested in.

The range has really good concrete benches, and a few different ranged targets. Started him at 55 yards...strange looks from the older guys at starting so far, but you can see the impact points of the .22 at that range, so stayed there.

Went through the safety stuff (he's used bows for a few years, so it was just the extra with a rifle), then had him dry fire on an empty case a few times to get a feel for how things work, scope shouldn't move on the target if you do it right.

Live ammo, let him do it his way for a few mags (5 rounds each), and got him back on track for operating the trigger rather than snapping it like a squirt bottle. Then worked on cant, and eye relief...his nerves had worn off then, and he didn't jump when the guy 2 benches down let off his .270.

About a box and a half in, he was covering those concepts. Could see that he was now in "study" mode that he gets in when he wants to "do stuff right"...with him, that's usually the point that he knuckles into the theory, or dismisses it. Could see him consciously managing his cant, trying to find the best grip after cycling the bolt.

So sat him down and explained breathing, asking about his experiences of the things moving around while he breathed, explained breathing, and whatnot, and shot a group with him watching what I had gone through.

He powered through another box and a half...fairly quickly, but could see him developing a checklist.

Couple of hours, 3-1/2 boxes of ammo, and my son has decided that he wants us to get his junior's permit, join the SSAA, and do it again.

The range officer clapped my on the back as we left.

Not claiming it was earth shattering, and he's the next Doc Carver...just that he left elated at having done something for the first time, and seen himself improve at it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What can you say? If shooting means something to you it doesn't get any better than taking your offspring shooting and seeing them progress. Nice.

I nearly gave it up entirely in 2016 for personal reasons, hadn't shot since November 2013. Wife suggested I stay in it for a little longer, drop the rifle club I was in since 1996, and tread a different path.

Funny, when we got home, daughter quipped that she was eldest and supposed to go first.

Excellent. The shooting sports are quite a bit of fun. Take the daughter too!

I guess it's not as easy there to be part of the shooting sports. It's so different there. I just choose my weapon, walk to the back yard and choose my target.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I guess it's not as easy there to be part of the shooting sports. It's so different there. I just choose my weapon, walk to the back yard and choose my target.

It's VERY different.
1996, I had to join a club to keep the Krico .22LR my parents gave me for my 15th birthday.
I increased my ownership 6 fold, and round per year hundredfold.

It's still doable, just need the motivation, which I dropped.

But to get to my current range, I need to go through here...
iRacing-Bathurst-Preview.jpg

And here's the proof...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Funny, when we got home, daughter quipped that she was eldest and supposed to go first.

Good job! Something you and he will always remember. I will always remember taking my son to shoot the first time. If i had a daughter , i would defiantly expose her to shooting.

I think it's great. Nearly every kid (and adult, for that matter) enjoys learning to shoot. Some become quite good.

I've taught each of my children, starting at about age 12. I had the good fortune to be able to take them to one of the US Navy's training ranges nearby, which is a PRISim set-up. Under the tutelage of a small-arms instructor (not me), they learned on real weapons, fitted with laser inserts in the barrel. It's a great way to start, and you then progress to real firearms, with real ammunition.

My youngest, for example, started with a Glock 19 (she was taught with the M-9 but it's a big pistol for a child's hands, the Glock is easier to manage) and AR-15 on the range after her time in the PRISim...and did quite well with them. We continue to shoot together. She continues to enjoy it.

All three of my kids shoot. Not as often as I would like, but that's a function of available time - one is in medical school, one in university, one lives with my ex in Vermont.

Cubic PRISim

Last edited:
Astro14,
our range was interactive too...we had to walk uprange and change out the targets with a staple gun.

Astro14,
our range was interactive too...we had to walk uprange and change out the targets with a staple gun.

But that's REAL...

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Got very difficult in the UK after the Dunblane Massacre. My brother gave it up at about that time since the security requirements were too onerous. IIRC he only had a .22 semi-auto rifle.

Friend of his lived on a farm and had a repro black powder Navy Colt (scary, dirty, ludicrously innacurate thing), a .22 bolt action and a bolt action Lee-Enfield service rifle re-chambered for NATO 7.62. I'd be very surprised if he got to keep that, and TBH, I'm not sure he should have had it in the first place. To my inexperienced eye (this was a long while before army training) he seemed a bit casual about backstops.

Last edited:
Good to see you and your son having fun on the shooting range. In 4 weeks my wife and I will be visiting our son and family in Florida where he takes me the range he is a member of. He has a couple of military style ARs(.223) and a new piece I haven't seen as yet. Ne does a lot of completion shooting with these and hand guns. I always enjoy this sport with him. Memories!!

^^ stupid comment.

My kid at 10 year old will be a better tactical shooter than 90% of the local police dept. Nothing wrong with giving a youngster a nice hobby that they can share with their father, and building lifetime fond memories that they can look back on when Dad is no longer alive.

Excellent! I started my Son and Daughter with guns when they were big enough to pull the trigger when I held the rifle. I sent them to hunter safety courses and as adults they both are gun owners. They do pretty good with rifles and hand guns.

That's awesome. I love taking my oldest daughter to the range. She was 14 the last time I took her and she was showing so much responsibility and ability to handle anything from my AR to my 1911 .45, I rented her a full auto HK MP5. She handled that thing like a champ. Granted, they don't have much recoil, but she was expertly squeezing off 3 round bursts and destroying every bulls-eye I put up.

This is around 120 rounds in, at 50 metres (55 yards), with my old Brno (pre-dates CZ, it's an actual Brno, microgroove style rifling), and 4x32 scope, CCI blue box.

50 year old rifle, 50 year old eyes, 55 yards, CCI bluebox.

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, did anyone else see the irony in this photo?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
As an aside, did anyone else see the irony in this photo?

LOL, yes, but the funny thing is to get a Japanese wagon legally registered mounted on a 4WD chassis is a pretty pricey engineering affair. It was unusual, which is why I took the photo.

BTW, as people are usually interested in Autralian phrases, that particular paint effect is known and "Mount Druit Metallic".

I tried to take my daughter to the range multiple times over the years. She got her mommas genes and said she was too scared to fire a gun. 2 months with a new boyfriend and he has her at the range once a week.

Back