Suggest a Diesel Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me about a small, naturally aspirated diesel engine that would physically fit into a large motorcycle frame. 1, 2, 3, or 4 cylinders. Yes, I am crazy.

Decades ago, working for a hire company and having the engine out of my 1954 BSA, I was eyeing up diesels. The single cyl Lister was a good fit, and I could get an old one for nothing. I ended up with a side valve M20 engine in it, so a gutless low revving engine wasn't a concern for me. But the vibration and starting were. As a generator they had to tie them to a fence post to keep them on the property, and it was a wind up on the crank handing to get them running. And yes, the throttle, they were fixed speed and didn't like low speed running. There are better engines out there now. Check out the Royal Enfield, I think they used a Robin.

Don't know if it fits but I think Kubota makes small diesels. Might want to look at them.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Tell me about a small, naturally aspirated diesel engine that would physically fit into a large motorcycle frame. 1, 2, 3, or 4 cylinders. Yes, I am crazy.

Perkins trailer reefer motor.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Perkins trailer reefer motor.

I don't know what RPM those run at, but is it 1800 RPM? A motorcycle engine needs to be one of the 3600 RPM models, at least. I don't want a CVT transmission. I like gears.
And now I'm thinking on the other side of the spectrum. What if I put a GSXR600 or CBR600RR engine in a giant cruiser frame? Complete nonsense. I like it.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
What a cool idea ... Diesel... :eek:)

I think a little 20-30 HP diesel could get 100 MPG or so, even if the bike weighs 600 lbs. It might even be able to do 70 MPH on the highway with the right gears.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Whatever they put in the M1030B1

Where do I get one?

Or, I could convert a gas engine to diesel. Just like GM in the 80s. Brilliant!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Whatever they put in the M1030B1

The M1030M1 is the diesel-it uses a 611cc, 30HP single. (The M1030B1 is, mechanically, a standard KLR650.) They top out around 90MPH and get about 95MPG. AFAIK, it is a proprietary design, and 100% pure unobtanium.

It's a pity motorcycles are generally only seen as performance vehicles...they are so much more for me. As I mentioned before, rather than rebuild my BSA 650 with a broken crank, I converted it to take a 350 single, sometimes a 500, and then I put a sidevalve 500cc engine in it. Performance was not far off a diesel of the same capacity, the Sommer 462 in the link is about the same performance. Sommer has 11 hp and a top speed of 65mph, the M20 had 13hp @ 4,000rpm and we clocked it at 70mph. It changed my riding stlye forever - momenteum, most important, it takes so long to get up to speed, you learn never to lose it...never shut the throttle, into blind corners, take em as they come, charging down hill to make it up the otherside without changing down too many gears. Love to get on something modern with that sort of performance.

The L100 Yanmar is 10hp and very smooth running.
All the single cylinder Chinese diesels you see for sale are Yanmar copies.
I have 3 genuine Yanmar’s they pull start very easy and they are easy the work on.
90cummins

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back