Need a retro rifle? Brownells has you covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
xbrn16e1-landingpage-2.png

brn-10a-landingpage.png

1955-1982

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Retro for me would be my issued GM Hydramatic Div M-16
laugh.gif

Well they might not have you quite that covered...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Yeah, for like $1300.

That's to be expected for an all American made gun that needs non Mil Spec/standard parts. I have an advertisement for the first commercially available Colt AR15's and if you adjust for inflation they would cost about this much now.

$1600 isn't crazy for a good ready to go AR-10, but perhaps here's the deal breaker:

Quote:
Brownells BRN-10™ rifles accept standard metal DPMS/SR-25 magazines. They are NOT compatible with Magpul PMAGs due to lower receiver contour.

I guess one could stock up on the steel/aluminum mags.

On the good news side all the 7.62x51 BCG parts will always be carried by Brownell's (and others)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
$1600 isn't crazy for a good ready to go AR-10, but perhaps here's the deal breaker:

Quote:
Brownells BRN-10™ rifles accept standard metal DPMS/SR-25 magazines. They are NOT compatible with Magpul PMAGs due to lower receiver contour.

I guess one could stock up on the steel/aluminum mags.

On the good news side all the 7.62x51 BCG parts will always be carried by Brownell's (and others)

Well and let's face it. If you pony up good money for a retro AR10, it would look pretty weird with a Pmag hanging out the bottom. What I think is cool is the model 601 "Air Force Model" ships with a waffle mag.

The days of people paying extremely high prices for AR-15s are over. As far as I could tell, there’s nothing that’s even special about these rifles. Just the retro-styling.

Colt M4s are going for less than $700 and good entry-level ARs for under $400 in some cases, NIB.

If I paid that much for an AR-15, it better have a ton of high-end performance parts.

I remember when people were complaining that Ruger Mini 14's were going for, "almost as much as an AR-15". They thought that was ridiculous. Now, they're almost, if not over twice as much, and I don't hear anyone complaining. It just shows what happens when the market gets flooded with a given product.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Well and let's face it. If you pony up good money for a retro AR10, it would look pretty weird with a Pmag hanging out the bottom. What I think is cool is the model 601 "Air Force Model" ships with a waffle mag.

Great point! Now that I am awake and think 'bout makes sense. For sure the 5.56 overpriced. 7.62 not crazy high. Sure I could piece together a lower cost AR-10 pattern Palmetto Armory deal, and go retro for few more dollars.....$100 more got the Dutch brown. Hmmmm....

The days of people paying extremely high prices for AR-15s are over. As far as I could tell, there’s nothing that’s even special about these rifles. Just the retro-styling.

Colt M4s are going for less than $700 and good entry-level ARs for under $400 in some cases, NIB.

If I paid that much for an AR-15, it better have a ton of high-end performance parts.

The Retro angle is what makes them special. And if you remember Colt made a small run of M16A1 rifles last year and wanted almost 2x as much for them at 2,500 bucks for them.

The same people who will buy this are the types that appreciate older things, even if they don't perform well. Those of us that would daily drive a 55 Chevy Bel Air instead of a 2016 Impala.

The Retro angle is what makes them special. And if you remember Colt made a small run of M16A1 rifles last year and wanted almost 2x as much for them at 2,500 bucks for them.

The same people who will buy this are the types that appreciate older things, even if they don't perform well. Those of us that would daily drive a 55 Chevy Bel Air instead of a 2016 Impala.

Yeah, but they’re not actually old.

Buying a ready-made “retro” rifle appeals to me precisely zero.

I’d be much more inclined to build a retro-style rifle myself and have the freedom to make some of my own parts choices.

The light barreled AR10 is kind of appealing...

I just don’t know if it’s worth $1400 to shoot more expensive ammo appealing.

BSW

I’d be much more inclined to build a retro-style rifle myself and have the freedom to make some of my own parts choices.

There is a dude who has built several on his own...he ends up with about 1400 bucks in each one. The only way to do this cheap is to track down a surplus barreled m16A1 upper. That is what I did, cost me about 300 bucks and it was un-used.

There is a dude who has built several on his own...he ends up with about 1400 bucks in each one. The only way to do this cheap is to track down a surplus barreled m16A1 upper. That is what I did, cost me about 300 bucks and it was un-used.

Hmm...I see.

Well, I’m sure those who buy them will be happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back