CVT fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tested cvt fluid yet? My Subaru has a cvt and the manual states to inspect every 60k...seems like a stretch but I don't know.

Tested how?

I wouldn't inspect every 60k miles, I would drain and fill every 30-50k miles (depending on the driving conditions/style) and stick with OEM fluids. CVTs are finicky already, no sense in taking unnecessary gambles.

Many have had good outcomes with Amsoil CVT and Valvoline CVT. We could assume Redline CVT would be stellar too. I think we are passed worrying that top tier named CVT oil is something to worry about. Oh, of course "OEM ONLY" worry wort's will always worry. I have yet to see an OEM oil be better in any way then what Amsoil or Redline has offered. I have FULL trust in them "upping the quality of base stocks" and adding a more robust add pack will always exceed what group 3 OEM "price point" oils do.

Last edited:
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander @92,000 miles:

Pan drop, filter change (unnecessary), 3 or so quarts drained. 'Twas the color of DARK maple syrup.

Used Amalie Universal Synthetic CVT fluid from the Amaliestore.com.

All Mitsubishi wanted was "J4". The Amalie stuff (product # 160-72886) has J4 listed.

Ready for this? The label says:

-Audi/VW (TL52180;G052 180 A2) -BMW 83 22 0 136 376 83 22 0 429 154 -Chrysler CVTF+4 -Diahatsu CVT Fluid TC, Amix Fluid DC
-Dodge/Jeep (NS-2/CVTF+4) -Ford CVT WSS-M2C-933-A(XT-7QCFT) -Ford (CVT23) (CVT30/Mercon C) -Fujiyuuko i-CVT Fluid, FG
-GM/Saturn (DEX-CVT) -Honda Multimatic Fluid (HMMF) -Hyundai/Kia: SP CVT-1 -Nissan CVT (NS-1, NS-2, NS-3) -Mercedes Benx (236.20)
-Mini Cooper (EZL 799) -Mitsubishi (DiaQueen CVTF-J1; DiaQueen CVTF-J4) -Subaru (NS-2/Lineartronic CVTF) -Suzuki (TC/NS-2/CVT aGreen 1)
-Toyota CVT Fluid TC -VW TL 521 80 (G 052 180)

How 'bout a hand for the typing? So much more involved that a link.

I would change it. Subaru's CVTs are leagues better than the Nissan ones, but I'd still frequently change. It seems easy enough on the Subarus.

Subaru specifies a special high torque CVT fluid for the FXT and WRX, I bugged the dealer twice about using the right fluid at my 60kmile service and I wouldn't be surprised if I still got the standard stuff. This dealer told me my PCV valve would be replaced at that service and the didn't bother because it was hard (the intercooler needs to come off!)...shame on me for not getting a commitment for them in writing. A PCV is sitting in my basement while I build up courage for pulling the IC myself.
Anyway, I'm not sure how I could know an aftermarket fluid is going to be a suitable replacement for this high torque Subaru CVT stuff...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Subaru specifies a special high torque CVT fluid for the FXT and WRX, I bugged the dealer twice about using the right fluid at my 60kmile service and I wouldn't be surprised if I still got the standard stuff. This dealer told me my PCV valve would be replaced at that service and the didn't bother because it was hard (the intercooler needs to come off!)...shame on me for not getting a commitment for them in writing. A PCV is sitting in my basement while I build up courage for pulling the IC myself.
Anyway, I'm not sure how I could know an aftermarket fluid is going to be a suitable replacement for this high torque Subaru CVT stuff...

Look on the Amsoil website for your vehicle. Use what they list. You will have excellent CVT fluid for your vehicle.

I did two drains and fills with OEM CVTF-II at 10,000 miles. Total of approx 11 quarts.

CVT is a standard TR580. Like Virtus_Probi said, for the turbos a special HIGH TORQUE CVT fluid is used.

Not sure what the older TR690 CVT uses.

Ordered the factory CVT fluid through a local dealer, $11.xx a quart.

I'd change at 1/2 the factory recommendations. That way I know I am safe.

Originally Posted By: 2zrVios
Has anyone tested cvt fluid yet? My Subaru has a cvt and the manual states to inspect every 60k...seems like a stretch but I don't know.

I'm not saying you are, but you see a lot of weird, random stuff posted in regards to late model Subaru maintenance recommendations.

Per my 2016 Forester's warranty and maintenance booklet, CVT fluid (all but BRZ models) should be checked every 30K miles and replaced every 24855 miles if used frequently in severe driving conditions. Why 24,855mi I have no idea. What "checked" means I have no idea either and have little faith your average dealer would even be able to check level correctly. There is no CVT fluid change interval listed for normal driving conditions.

If you call my local Subaru/Kia dealer, they say to change the CVT fluid at 100K miles. I don't have a lot of faith in them.

A local transmission shop that I somewhat trust will do a CVT fluid change with (supposedly) Subaru fluid for $199. My point is, all dealers are going to recommend something different from your owner's manual info and there's always other options.

Last edited:
^ Just to add to my post above, I haven't worked up the nerve to attempt a CVT fluid change or front differential oil change on my Forester. It's got a real nice easily accessible drain plug on the trans pan, but the refill plug is in a weird spot on the 2016 for both the CVT fluid and diff oil. Same with the level check plugs. I'm at ~48K miles and would like to get it done. I've done the rear diff which is super easy.

On the other hand, the CVT fluid in our 2016 Nissan Quest is easier to swap out than an engine oil change. I've done 2 drain/fills on it with Nissan NS-3 blue juice.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Per my 2016 Forester's warranty and maintenance booklet, CVT fluid (all but BRZ models) should be checked every 30K miles and replaced every 24855 miles if used frequently in severe driving conditions.

Yes you are correct. I took the service departments word as a 60k item, my my manual does in fact say to inspect every 30k. thanks for clearing that up.

Now another question, do you thing CVT's shed a lot of metal and clutch material in their first break-in period....enough to warrant a earlier first fluid change?

Castrol CVT is on sale at Autozone for $5/qt until 2/8. But you have to buy in multiples of two
smile.gif

Per my 2016 Forester's warranty and maintenance booklet, CVT fluid (all but BRZ models) should be checked every 30K miles and replaced every 24855 miles if used frequently in severe driving conditions.

Yes you are correct. I took the service departments word as a 60k item, my my manual does in fact say to inspect every 30k. thanks for clearing that up.

Now another question, do you thing CVT's shed a lot of metal and clutch material in their first break-in period....enough to warrant a earlier first fluid change?

There is a member here who changed the CVT fluid on their Impreza and found a fair amount of debris in the pan and filter screen IIRC. I have seen some youtube videos of some black looking CVT fluid coming out of Outbacks, etc. My opinion on any transmission is, even just removing and replacing a few quarts at a time can only help it's lifespan. Obviously a 100% exchange with a pan drop, filter and magnet cleaning is better.

My only issue with using aftermarket fluids is, if it's a different color fluid than OEM, warranty coverage is going to be a major issue if that applies to you. Out of warranty? I'd have no issue using aftermarket. Subaru CVT fluid is blue for the standard stuff and orange for the "high torque" CVTs found in the turbo models, etc.

There is a member here who changed the CVT fluid on their Impreza and found a fair amount of debris in the pan and filter screen IIRC. I have seen some youtube videos of some black looking CVT fluid coming out of Outbacks, etc. My opinion on any transmission is, even just removing and replacing a few quarts at a time can only help it's lifespan. Obviously a 100% exchange with a pan drop, filter and magnet cleaning is better.

The problem is, most of that debris in in the bottom of the pan and may only come out with a full drain. I checked the fluid by letting a few ounces drain out of the fill port....its a very clean blue color. I know there must be some break-in be cause i had to get the transmission reprogrammed at my last visit due to a long shift delay.

The problem is, most of that debris in in the bottom of the pan and may only come out with a full drain. I checked the fluid by letting a few ounces drain out of the fill port....its a very clean blue color. I know there must be some break-in be cause i had to get the transmission reprogrammed at my last visit due to a long shift delay.

That's true and it's probably best to get the big chunks out of there, but it's the very tiny free floating stuff that the screen and "paper" element filters don't catch that worries me more over time. The Subaru CVT has the standard screen like filter on the suction of the pump, then a paper type element buried in the transmission that you can't readily replace. Most have this these days. I had the CVT in my (leased) 2012 Legacy 2.5i and currently in my 2016 Forester. LOVE the darn things. Have had no weirdness or issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back