Sitting ATV - What to do with fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I’ve got a 2005 Honda Rancher ES 350 that I’ve owned since new. 3,300 miles on it, 3,100 of those miles were from new until 2012 and then 200 of them are since then. It sits, a lot. I never had a fuel system issue until this summer it wouldn’t start. I had my mechanic rebuild the carb with a kit from the dealer and it runs ok. I drained the fuel out last summer and put in a gallon or so of new gas. Probably getting old now.

It doesn’t look like I’ll ride it for some time, I can ride it around the neighborhood every once in a while like I do, or I can just drain all the old gas and park it completely dry. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I would add a quality stabilizer with each fill so it is always in the fuel system.

Don't let the old fuel sit in it again.

When we winterize our lawnmower we mostly drain the tank then run a concentrated dose of cleaner through until it runs dry. Same deal with our snow thrower in the spring. We've never had to clean out the carbs since I started doing that, and both machines fire right up when needed.

If it's a month+ old we add any stale gas into full ish tanks in the family cars so it doesn't go to waste. Then we refill the can so we always have fresh gas. We'll mix small batches of 2stroke fuel when needed for the snow thrower so it stays fresh too (that never goes into the cars!).

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
We'll mix small batches of 2-stroke fuel when needed for the snow thrower so it stays fresh too (that never goes into the cars!).

That won't hurt a thing - - lots of people do it on purpose.

Drain fuel since run so little is run VPracing SEF or C9 both can be purchased in 5gallon pail good for years in the tank

I run Seafoam through my snowmobiles, boat, lawnmowers, and snow blower. Run them for at least 10 minutes if I missed the last time they were run cycle, then syphon as much gas out of them as I can.
In the spring/fall, I add new gas and they fire up each and every time.

The syphoned gas I put in my gas tanks of my vehicles and take a bit to the trailer with me for my lawnmower down there.
Seafoam will stabilize gas for up to 2 years, but I don't think it helps much with E-gas and the phase separation so that is why I alway try to run Premium, non ethanol fuel in my toys when I can. (not always possible, especially out snowmobiling)

I be had good luck with Sea Foam as well for long time storage. Little luck with Sta-bil if it's going to be more than a month.
The best is Sea Foam treated fuel and just start it once a month to cycle the gas.
Storing a dry carb isn't the best either with the float and the aluminum sorta welds itself together. Still if your talking only a couple of months it will be fine.

Next time it gets used might be next October, maybe.

I wonder if I should dump half a bottle of Seafoam in it and ride around the neighborhood until it is almost out of gas, then drain the rest?

I've ruined 2 carbs by letting Seafoam treated fuel sit in them for long periods of time (around a year). One in a 65 Corvette and the other in a 67 Camaro. I'm done with Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer.

Originally Posted By: biggusblockus
I've ruined 2 carbs by letting Seafoam treated fuel sit in them for long periods of time (around a year). One in a 65 Corvette and the other in a 67 Camaro. I'm done with Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer.

What exactly happened to them and what kind of carbs?

Like I mentioned, I've been doing this for years without an issue so I am curious what happened in your case?

Do you contact Seafoam with pics etc, and if so, what did they have to say?

I had 3 ATV's a year ago. My riding time had dropped to near zero and I came to my senses and sold them all. Looking back I have fond memories of riding, but to every time there is a season and that chapter has now passed and I don't regret my choice.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I had 3 ATV's a year ago. My riding time had dropped to near zero and I came to my senses and sold them all. Looking back I have fond memories of riding, but to every time there is a season and that chapter has now passed and I don't regret my choice.
I have some gold mine claims in western Arizona and will always have a use for it, lots of stuff have come up and I don’t have time to ride it right now.

It isn’t worth much, the plastics are faded and cracked, and it’s been wrecked multiple times and rewelded together. It runs and drives great, I’d regret selling it.

Stabil Marine 360 and TCW3 in all my OPE. No fuel issues and all run well. I am using it in my UTV as well.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Stabil Marine 360 and TCW3 in all my OPE. No fuel issues and all run well. I am using it in my UTV as well.

Yup.
thumbsup2.gif

optimally drain the old fuel out, refill with fresh fuel spiked with K100 MG+, run machine for a few minutes to get new fuel through the system, and take it from there; K100 is the best additive I have used for storage & spiking stale fuel to get good ingnition after storage! if you are stuck with old fuel and can't disconnect fuel line connections to drain the entire tank then siphon out what you can, put in K100 MG+, fill with new fuel, let sit a few hours/overnight, and attempt a start up! if the machine runs then take it out for a good steady 45 minutes to 1 hour to get the spiked fuel run through the system and allow the K100 to clean out some of the deposits in the carburetor/injectors, combustion chamber, and on the valves

Your Rancher should have a carb drain on it, so that's an easy task.
I have some mini-bikes I don't use much, I drain all the gas out and store them dry. I don't worry about rust since they have plastic fuel tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back