18 VW GTI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about buying a new VW GTI this spring so I have a few questions....

Are today's VW's reliable?
I see that VW is offering a nice warranty on a new one but will it be void if I change my own oil?
Is it possible to change my own oil on this car or do I need special tools?
Does it take special dealer oil or can I still get my oil at WM?
I am thinking about the dual clutch automatic transmission does anyone know how reliable this trans is?

Thanks for any input.

Are today's VW's reliable? I've owned 3 VWs never had any problems. If your scared get a extend warranty.
I see that VW is offering a nice warranty on a new one but will it be void if I change my own oil? NO, as long as you, use a VW 502 approved oil and follow the maintenance schedule.
Is it possible to change my own oil on this car or do I need special tools? Not sure on the GTI but on my Jetta its a 19mm drain plug with spin on filter.
Does it take special dealer oil or can I still get my oil at WM? WM carries a few 502 approved oils.
I am thinking about the dual clutch automatic transmission does anyone know how reliable this trans is? Ive never heard that they are a bad tranny. I do know that servicing a DSG on VWs are pricey.

Never had any issues (well the battery did die, but thats it) with the TDI, it is a DSG too. It does take a service that uses pretty expensive fluid at 40,000 miles. There is also a 15 Sportwagen DSG in the family and it is fine too.

I’d recommend dealer filters and approved oils (actually on the list) and keeping records.

They seem to be fairly reliable. My fiancee's Jetta has around 34,000 miles on it. Outside of replacing the ignition tumbler twice under warranty it's been pretty solid. You can change your own oil without voiding the warranty, just use VW 502.00 oil and the appropriate filter.

My '13 GTI DSG turns 5 years old this summer. Bought it new. Different generation and build country than the '18's.
Electric fuel pump (Not the HPFP) went out 2 years ago (Warranty)
New battery last year
New tires summer '17

That's it.

Not sure if I'll hit 40K this year for the DSG service, I hear it's around $400 USD.

Last edited:
Both VW's in my signature are very reliable and have never been in to the dealer for warranty work except for the diesel retune so I could get my 6000. We are very pleased with how they drive and handle, they are extremely comfortable and fit and finish is great. Go for it.

The Walmarts in my metro currently stock 3 VW 502 approved oils at the moment: Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil 0W40 and Castrol 0W40.

ECS Tuning has a plethora of OEM and after market VW parts and tools for cheap.
Many after market VW parts are made in Europe, not China.

VW was the first automaker to make real widespread use of the dual clutch automatic. It had some teething pains, but is generally a solid unit
in newer VW's. It is made by Borg Warner in Japan for VW.

Some have noted such as Consumers Reports, that when the 2015 came out, it was not as fun to drive as the previous generation.

VW does a good job with parts revisions. When parts are having quality control issues, VW works on improving the part until it becomes reliable.
Being that the 2018 is the 4th model year for the MK7 GTI, it should be decently reliable. Looking up OEM VW parts on ECS Tuning will indicate
if VW had parts revisions for whatever your looking at. The ignition coils oir the intake manifold as an example.

If your a worry wort that ask who's more reliable, Toyota or Honda? The car isn't for you if you'll get depressed when something needs fixed.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Since they dumped the CC, this is the only VW I'd consider. Fun cars.

Have you seen the Arteon? I dig it.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The Arteon looks better then the CC, its defiantly got a lot of Audi in it. Not putting the CC down, they are still VERY nice cars.

My brother got an 18 GTI recently. Very nice car. He had a diesel golf before that was fully reliable. We also had a rabbit which was fully reliable.

All were manuals though. I can't really comprehend buying a dct version personally. And yes, we all drive in high traffic areas.

VW seems highly marked down car. Have them throw in a VW backed extended warranty longest period possible and see if price point is good for you.

Those warranties are normally marked up 50-250% so getting one near cost is not hard.

The GTI is the only desirable car to me they produce and it's excellent.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

Are today's VW's reliable?

Not really, VW still gets poor reliability ratings on www.truedelta.com

With many GTI reliability ratings having very poor results.

Last edited:

Looks nice. I wish 4cyl wasn't the only engine option. VAG obviously wants you to get an A6 instead if you want a better engine.

I've had my '17 GTI sport since last February about. Just over 12k miles on it now. Haven't had any issues other than the stock tires are garbage (tons of new cars have this issue).

The price to performance+features meant I could deal with some reliability issues. When I got mine, it was still the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty, the new warranty makes things that much better. Its such a practical machine, plenty of power (under rated by most accounts). I love the adaptive bi-xenon lights. I threw some winter wheels/tires on there and its terrific in snow. The performance pacakage (now included I think in everything above the base version) is pretty great too. HUGE golf R brakes (13.5" front rotors... on a 3,000 lbs car) neat LSD, and slight power bump.

One observation about the car which could be a negative, but not really... Its a wee tame. I've come from "rowdier" cars like mustangs, SRT caliber, civic SI, cooper S. Those cars were all way more raw than the GTI. Its OK, its just different. Sometimes you don't want raw on a long drive or daily commute. But at times the car almost feels boring, while performing everything exactly as it should.

Like others have said, don't really need anything special for oil changes. I forget the size, but a large socket for the filter housing. With a fluid extractor it could even all be done topside. I've been doing mine every 5k. Probably overkill, but 0w40 is pretty darn cheap. At like 15k miles I might do a UOA but I wanted the motor to break in first.

I will throw one alternative out there... Its not out yet, but the Hyundai veloster N. I would assume the pricing will be slightly less than a GTI with more or the same standard options. My sister has the previous Veloster R-spec and it was just under 19k. For that money, its pretty good value. The new "N" version will have the 2.0 and 275hp. On top of that, hyundai's awesome warranty. I'm not usually someone to look at hyundai's but its a neat value.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Looks nice. I wish 4cyl wasn't the only engine option. VAG obviously wants you to get an A6 instead if you want a better engine.

I guess that depends on how you define nice. The EA888 is a sweet little mill.

The Arteon is already expensive, I can't imagine what it would cost with Audi's 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back