Optima Yellow Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery on our 2014 Forester XT decided to just be dead this morning. Car cranked really slow and then ran out of juice.

I am thinking of replacing it with an Optima Yellow Top.

I am looking for opinions since it seems that they have some spotty reviews.

Why do you want the "Yellow Top"

"An OPTIMA REDTOP is perfect for starting applications where your vehicle's engine requires high amperage output in short bursts. The discharge cycle is shallow and the alternator takes over after the battery starts your car. Daily drivers love the REDTOP, as do drivers of classic cars, show cars and SUVs."

"If you're looking for a reliable battery for starting your vehicle and to support a load of electronic accessories, including winches, audio systems, an OPTIMA YELLOWTOP deep-cycle battery is the right choice. The YELLOWTOP battery is also ideal in vehicles that don't have an alternator or have electrical demands that temporarily exceed the alternator's output. It helps meet those high electrical demands until you're able to recharge."

Source: http://bit.ly/2BiiKRT

Ed

Ed,

The price difference is not all that much with the Yellow Top vs. the Red Top so I figured might as well get the better one. Just my thinking.

I am all ears to other good alternatives that everyone in here thinks will provide long reliable service out of a battery.

I had a yellow top and it was a great battery. Unfortunately, it was also wiped out by the same deer that took out my 2004 XT. Between the 2 types, the red top I still have cranked better and they both handled any load I gave them. I could not justify the cost for a new Optima so I went with a Bosch AGM, so far it has been very good. I hope it lasts as long as the Optimas have. With the 30% discount, I got at Pepboys the Bosch was a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: onemig
Ed,

The price difference is not all that much with the Yellow Top vs. the Red Top so I figured might as well get the better one. Just my thinking.

I am all ears to other good alternatives that everyone in here thinks will provide long reliable service out of a battery.

I know the price is very close, but it sounds like the intended use is quite a bit different. As *I* understand it, if you do a lot of draining & recharging, over and over, the yellow top is the way to go. If you're just needing it to start your car...the red top is the better choice.

If I was you, I'd call them and ask their opinion!

smile.gif

Ed

My truck had one in it when I bought it. I just replaced it about a month ago with an Everstart Maxx 65s. The date code on the Optima red top was xx/13, so not bad for the west Texas climate. Still, I expected more for the cost of them.

Thank you all for the replies!!

I've decided to buy the X2 Power Premium AGM battery Group 35 instead of the Yellow Top from Batteries+Bulbs.

After the online order 10% discount it is about the same price as the Yellow Top. With an additional $30 dollar rebate (hopefully it is honored on top of the 10%) it then brings the price close to a Red Top while the X2 is made in USA, comes with a 60 month warranty and seems to have great reviews.

The quality is well known as hit-or-miss and has been for a while now. The flip side of that is, if there are people still having good service out of Optimas, we don't really hear it. We do hear the stories of 3-4 year failures which is not how the original ones were. Optima is just an AGM. That's it. Yellow Top is nice because you have the option of deep cycle, which I find attractive as long as it can handle starting amps without damage. I just buy the largest AGM I can find that will fit, usually. I have 3 AZ Platinum AGMs (I think they are made by JCI) in service and none have given us any trouble.

-m

Wise decision

Originally Posted By: onemig
Thank you all for the replies!!

I've decided to buy the X2 Power Premium AGM battery Group 35 instead of the Yellow Top from Batteries+Bulbs.

After the online order 10% discount it is about the same price as the Yellow Top. With an additional $30 dollar rebate (hopefully it is honored on top of the 10%) it then brings the price close to a Red Top while the X2 is made in USA, comes with a 60 month warranty and seems to have great reviews.

Exactly. Buy another X2 battery made by Northstar. Made here in the US (the parent company is based overseas, but at least these batteries are made here and ate top notch) and a far better battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back