Oil for new Civic 1.5 turbo

So I don’t know much about Hondas... I’ve spent the last 13 years driving STIs and using redline thick oils. My back problems have gotten bad enough that I don’t wanna daily drive a rough car like the STI anymore so it will stay in the garage as a toy.

Meanwhile... I’ve purchased a new 17 Civic 1.5 turbo, what I’ve learned so far is that they have a lot of fuel dilution. I’d like to find an oil that has some esther like redline, and maybe go up to 0w30 eventually.

Is there anything like this? I’d like to prevent the oil from thinning below a 0w20 which seems to be a common issue.

Welcome to the Civic Club! I have the same car and so far I had a pretty good success with Amsoil SS oil. I dumped FF at around 4600mi as the oil level was rapidly rising. Factory oil thinned out down to 5.6cst. Refilled with Amsoil SS 0w20 and ran it for 5K. UOA showed good wear metals although it thinned down to 6.8 this around. Re-filled with the same oil again, 5k on it and fuel dilution down to 3.5% and 7.6cst. I have to note that last fill I was running premium gasoline for the last 3k miles. I'm currently running Amsoil SS 5w30. With all that said, amsoil works pretty good in this engine. At least for me. Hope this helps

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Welcome to the Civic Club! I have the same car and so far I had a pretty good success with Amsoil SS oil. I dumped FF at around 4600mi as the oil level was rapidly rising. Factory oil thinned out down to 5.6cst. Refilled with Amsoil SS 0w20 and ran it for 5K. UOA showed good wear metals although it thinned down to 6.8 this around. Re-filled with the same oil again, 5k on it and fuel dilution down to 3.5% and 7.6cst. I have to note that last fill I was running premium gasoline for the last 3k miles. I'm currently running Amsoil SS 5w30. With all that said, amsoil works pretty good in this engine. At least for me. Hope this helps

Fuel delusion DOWN to 3.5%? Yikes! I know fuel delusion isn't a death sentence, but that sounds a bit high. Hopefully Honda finds a way to mitigate it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Whatever you use, definitely go with a dexos 1 generation 2 certified oil.

+1

most name-brand and even many store-brand synthetics do carry this certification now
smile.gif

3.5 is a great result for this engine. Fuel dilution doesn’t seem to have any negative effect on wear metals

The wife has one. Coming up on 2 years and 35,000 miles. I'm doing 5-6K OCIs with a bunch of M1-AP & VME 0W-20 that I got on clearance from AZ @ 2 bucks a quart.

No issues so far.

I personally would run Redline 5/30. 0/20 is for the birds is cafe gov bs. All Honda's back in the day ran 5/30. I run 5/40 in mine bc I prefer a A3/B4 oil. If you look in the euro manual, they've a regular viscosity with weather temp range. With all grades in the world

my old '16 Touring coupe (Son has it now) 57k mostly on 0/40 A3/B4 Edge... 7.5k OCI's and 20k ultra filters..looks, drives, sounds and runs great.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I personally would run Redline 5/30. 0/20 is for the birds is cafe gov bs. All Honda's back in the day ran 5/30. I run 5/40 in mine bc I prefer a A3/B4 oil. If you look in the euro manual, they've a regular viscosity with weather temp range. With all grades in the world

Genuinely asking. Do you have concerns about redlines high calcium in a DI engine?

No, in my accord i run motul Xcess 5/40, the Acura redline 5/30.

I have never had any issues with their products and if you have a manual, the MTL makes it shift like butter as far as ATF goes, my Acura takes D4 ATF, the new ones use D6. The shifts are quicker, and smoother. When I did a flush, I did it 3 times back to back, the magnet on the end, hardly has any metals on it. I change the atf every 15k, it's easy, drops 4qts out, 4 in up top. The MTL in my manual car, every 30k.

The Accord is 2012. 0/20 is cafe spec. Euro manual only recommend it for Max fuel economy. I personally don't like a 0wt, and where I live in CA I will never see temps below 0 degrees, the majority of the year it's normally down in the 20s

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007

Genuinely asking. Do you have concerns about redlines high calcium in a DI engine?

While not 100% ideal, the high ZDP/Moly and esters mitigate LSPI so it's actually ok to run such an oil in a GDI. I wasn't aware of that until recently.

The 1.5T beats up anything you throw at it. I'd try and minimize the spread as much as possible. Redline is actually one of the best at holding its viscosity. The 5w20 would be interesting to see.

Supposedly, the 1.5T Accord has less fuel dilution issues than the same engine in the Civic? Why would that be?

Originally Posted by pbm
Supposedly, the 1.5T Accord has less fuel dilution issues than the same engine in the Civic? Why would that be?

Good question...
same goes with the 1.5 T vtec sold In EU. Does not have the fuel dilution problem at all.

Back