Switch Blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No that isn't a switchblade. Pressing the button doesn't solely release and trigger the sprung blade to come out. From the picture, it seems you press the button, but still need a separate action to extend the blade?

However, is it a legal knife? That's a separate question

It does have a leaf type spring to make it flip out. It locks when it flips open and I have to press the button to make it swing back in. It has pressure on the blade when I push it back in.

if the blade open solely with the button or with gravity then its considered an automatic knife and is a switchblade.

If the spring only assists or balances the opening pressure but it doesn't open the knife without another force or action, then it skirts the definition, but isn't a switch blade.

Last edited:
UHOH. Its a switch blade. My dad gave it to me and told me it was a switch blade. I own a switch blade that has a blade come from the end when I press a button. I kind of believed him but thought a switch blade only came out the end like mine. He is now telling me I told you so.

I agree that if the blade opens by simply pressing a button, then it is an automatic knife. The definition of switchblade is up for determination in many states.

Its likely illegal to carry without a proper weapons permit.

Id carry a proper pocket knife instead.

well the naming it depends on if you are talking about a legal definition or more of a bladesmith artistic definition.

If you want to be precise you'd say its an automatic knife. From the bladesmith or artistic presentation you wouldn't call it a switchblade, as there are some features to make an iconic switchblade including the shape of the blade.
From the legal perspective it is all about thr mechanism.

If you consider all the automatic knives that spring out the front you wouldn't call any of those a switchblade from an artistic perspective, only in a legal context.

Last edited:
That is the first time I have seen a switchblade of that style. The switchblades that I remember from my youth were stiletto style. They opened all the way, and very fast I might add, all on spring assist.

You can get many legal knives that are spring assisted or have bearings that open just as fast and dramatically and entertaining as a switchblade, but completely legal.

They can vary in price, and the entry point is like $40 for example for a kershaw speedsafe, and will entertain you just as much as a switchblade.

They also won;t be as garish as the knife shown by the OP

Last edited:
Different Parishes have different ordinances, as do Cities, and of course State Law. You don't want to get into trouble over semantics.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back