'13 Legacy FB25 - Oil reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a new to me 2013 Legacy with the FB25 engine. Apparently well known for normally consuming oil due to the piston rings.
Subaru North America strictly specifies 0W20 and nothing else. While Euro markets use everything else of higher viscosity.

I just got the car, it is out of warranty with 60k miles, otherwise mint condition. I don't know what oil is in there now, nor do I know how much oil it will burn.

Should I change out the oil now to 0W20 and monitor the consumption? OR should I use a higher viscosity?

Thanks in advance

Not all FB engines used oil. It seemed to be a matter of luck.
My FB at 44,000 miles has never used any oil. The ones that did used oil
were not helped by going to a thicker, 5-30, oil. At 60,000 miles it is either using oil
or it is not going to.

Originally Posted By: Thugzy

Subaru North America strictly specifies 0W20 and nothing else. While Euro markets use everything else of higher viscosity.

Perhaps your owner's manual is different, but for my two FB engine equipped Subarus (2014 XV Crosstrek and 2016 Legacy), the manual stated other viscosity ranges could be used, but you should revert back to 0w20 at the next engine oil change. Dealers LOVE 0w20, so they can charge you $60-70 for an oil change.

Wife had a 13 Legacy 2.5 FB. She traded it in 2015 for another Subaru with the 2.5. Neither burned oil. The '13 saw a steady diet of Valvoline Synpower and NAPA Syn 0W-20. I think a lot of the Subaru 2.5 issues were with breakin. If you got one that doesn't use oil, it probably will never use oil....and vice versa. Good luck and let us know how she does. I'd stick with the 0w-20 btw.

Congrats on your new to you Legacy. Hope you enjoy it.

Except for one summer that I ran 5W20, because I got a great deal on it, I've always stayed with 0W-20. My Outback does use about a quart between 7500 mile oil changes. I've used Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 EP, Castrol Edge, and Royal Purple High Performance. I've had great luck with all, except I have higher oil consumption with the RP HP. Not huge, but enough more that I can tell the difference. So I would feel good about recommending any of them except the RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back