Neighbor's '10 Kia Optima 2.4 GDi, 200k on dino

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
No question, just an anectodal story of an avg joe.

My neighbor asked if I'd pick him up from the Kia dealership while his Optima got serviced. On the drive back i asked what work was being done...
•2nd tranny fluid change
•2nd coolant flush
•An oil change

"Second fluid change for tranny and coolant? How many miles on this car?"
He said, 209k. I also asked about oil (of course i would), he said the car gets oil changes done at nearby, Valvoline, Jiffy Lube and Firestone. He only goes when there's a $19.99 Conventional oil special and changes it 3 to 4 times a year using whatever's in the manual. I didn't give him any bitog advise seeing as the man knows what he's doing and it's worked all these years. So much for "Noack, dexos, synthetics or high octane
smile.gif

I'd wager this is how 95% of world approaches their maintenance.

Originally Posted By: wemay

My neighbor asked if I'd pick him up from the Kia dealership while his Optima got serviced. On the drive back i asked what work was being done...
•2nd tranny fluid change
•2nd coolant flush
•An oil change

He said, 209k. I also asked about oil (of course i would), he said the car gets oil changes done at nearby, Valvoline, Jiffy Lube and Firestone. He only goes when there's a $19.99 Conventional oil special and changes it 3 to 4 times a year using whatever's in the manual. I didn't give him any bitog advise seeing as the man knows what he's doing and it's worked all these years. So much for "Noack, dexos, synthetics or high octane
smile.gif

Well said and majority of them will still hit 200-300k on their vehicles, no problem.

Without even knowing they have ATF/PS Fluid/Coolant and Brake fluid too, not just an engine oil
smile.gif

•2nd tranny fluid change
•2nd coolant flush
•An oil change

smile.gif

Most BITOG advice is little more than regurgitating marketing claims from non professionals in the automotive field.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

•2nd tranny fluid change
•2nd coolant flush
•An oil change

smile.gif

Well said and majority of them will still hit 200-300k on their vehicles, no problem.

Without even knowing they have ATF/PS Fluid/Coolant and Brake fluid too, not just an engine oil
smile.gif

And with 20wt oil to boot!

Except for the sub 8k mile oci and no UOA, this is Dnewton's kind of thread.
wink.gif

Are the 2010s GDI? I thought they were the Theta II world engine with port injection?

Apologies, his is a 2011 bought late in 2010. I asked when he bought it and assumed that was the model year. But yes, definitely GDi 2.4L

•2nd tranny fluid change
•2nd coolant flush
•An oil change

He's done a good job at maintaining it. Most driver's with that year/mileage would still be on the original FF for the trans/coolant.

That year does have a major recall for the engine. I wonder if he's aware of that and hopefully he checks the oil level often.

Over 200k miles in a GDI engine possibly with 20 weight oil. That’s sure to ruin some people’s supper here. And it’s a Kia to boot.

Good maintenance does wonders.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Cool story. Thanks for sharing. Certainly like to hear things like this when I own the same engine!

Same here, two of them! That i'd like to see go for some miles...

I hope my Sonata is as good of a car. So far at 72k it's in great shape, but it's just getting started.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Does it ping at all? That is my question. Mine is a ping monster at 56k miles, so is a friend's Optima.

I didn't ask but he says it runs like new. He's keeping it 'til it dies, according to him. From the outside, the car is always clean and appears well cared for.

Kia / Hyundai use same 2.4L GDI engine ... I hope I get to go that long without intake valve carbon over load !

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
It doesn’t take much to get a vehicle far. Maintenance and how you drive.

Agree with maintenance & driving style as well as city vs highway miles and the warm Miami climate (No cold starts in single digit temps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back