Condensation Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep my 2010 mountaineer AWD in the garage in the winter and only drive it if absolutely necessary. Its the only way to keep from rusting due to tons of road salt in Vermont. We had -30 to -40 below 2 weeks ago now we have 40 and rain. With the door garage door open the floor gets wet and the vehicle is wet and some condensation under the hood. With the door closed not as bad but still some condensation. Is there a chance I am getting condensation inside the oil pan/transmission/differential's/transfer case.Thanks Guy's.

You’d have to have a pretty large amount of moist (high dew point) air displacing dry (low dew point ) air in these components for condensation to occur. As these are largely or completely sealed units I’d expect any air exchange while they are inactive to be minimal, so I wouldn’t worry.

Of course, the condensation on the body, chassis and perhaps inside body panels won’t do your corrosion issues any favors. If the roads aren’t wet and salty I’d get it out for a drive.

Pure water is not really a problem as far a rust is concerned. Otherwise places like Florida or California would have rust problems, but they don't.
But if you want to get rid of the condensation problem, you have to run a hot air vent from your house into the garage.

Personally I don't see a little dew causing any problems.

Originally Posted By: Danh
You’d have to have a pretty large amount of moist (high dew point) air displacing dry (low dew point ) air in these components for condensation to occur. As these are largely or completely sealed units I’d expect any air exchange while they are inactive to be minimal, so I wouldn’t worry.

Of course, the condensation on the body, chassis and perhaps inside body panels won’t do your corrosion issues any favors. If the roads aren’t wet and salty I’d get it out for a drive.
Thanks for your input Danh. The roads should be better after the rain. I'll take it out then. The body/frame are mint and would like to keep it that way. Vermont is a nightmare for salt and corrosion. Now they are talking going to brine.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Pure water is not really a problem as far a rust is concerned. Otherwise places like Florida or California would have rust problems, but they don't.
But if you want to get rid of the condensation problem, you have to run a hot air vent from your house into the garage.

Personally I don't see a little dew causing any problems.

In case anyone is going to try this, it's probably against building codes to have HVAC systems connected between the garage and living space. The threat of CO infiltration in the home is the reason.

Better to just run space heaters in the garage to dry it out.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Space heaters are quite a fire hazard. Why would anyone, seemingly concerned with safety, suggest putting one in a garage of all places?

If you want to heat the garage get an electric garage heater and permanently install it and wire it. Installed up high it will be safe. Angle the air louvers down. I used stranded wiring in flex conduit. I felt the vibration of the fan might over time damage solid wire.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
In case anyone is going to try this, it's probably against building codes to have HVAC systems connected between the garage and living space.

Not where I live. Here they just require that the HVAC system be correctly sized (for the included square footage), that the garage be properly insulated, and the garage doors have weather seals on them.
If you run a vehicle in a closed garage it doesn't really matter if you have the HVAC system routed to the garage, the CO can still kill you inside the house.

It's a small one car detached garage about 30 yards from house. Electric garage heater sounds like an option. Amazon has smaller ones for $100-150. I do have 220 in garage

Chances are you need to better insulate the garage, then put a garage heater. I’m worried about the heater running 100% duty cycle and yet not be able to keep up with the losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back