Dino or synthetic in 04 5.9 cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I'm running Rottela 15w-40 dino with a Fram ultra at a yearly change interval suggested by Jay at Fram. I only put around 8500 miles year in my truck as it's a weekend driver. Would I be well served to start running semi or full synthetic? All I'm looking to do is keep my engine clean and well protected.

I use 5w-40 synthetic in my 05 ONLY because Im in WI and it gets cold in winter. Otherwise Id use dino. 10K OCI using syntheic or dino for me. 173K miles on it.

The oil turns into ink as soon as I drive a few miles after an oil change. I've been told this is normal for the cummins motors. No sludge.

Originally Posted By: monster1
The oil turns into ink as soon as I drive a few miles after an oil change. I've been told this is normal for the cummins motors. No sludge.
100% normal.

Currently I'm running Rottela 15w-40 dino with a Fram ultra at a yearly change interval suggested by Jay at Fram. I only put around 8500 miles year in my truck as it's a weekend driver. Would I be well served to start running semi or full synthetic? All I'm looking to do is keep my engine clean and well protected.

Not a lot of info to go on, but we'll presume at this point everything is "normal" in your use. Towing and weekend driving are "normal". Engines that are highly "tuned" with all manner of performance mods are not included hereafter. But "normal", sane use is perfectly within the realm of what I intend to cover ... If you're pushing 700rwp and 1100rwt, beating the snot out of the engine in sled pulling or drag races every weekend, that's not "normal" use.

Dino is perfectly fine for "normal" use at 8.5k miles. I've seen dino easily go further than that, and do so very safely. I can tell you after looking at thousands upon thousands of UOAs, you'll be fine.

If you want to KNOW, then take a few UOAs. But I can already tell you what the answer is ...

Last edited:

You're doing fine. I used to run Valvoline Premium Blue Classic 15w40 on 18k mile annual intervals. My engine has 425k miles on it now, so it didn't seem to do any harm.

As much as I like to doodle around with top shelf oils, filters, etc: one of my 6.7 Rams lived the first 270k miles of its life on Dino Delvac changed every 7500 miles and Pennzoil filters.

Regular Rotella is an excellent cleaner as it is. Only reason I use syn in my 7.3 Powerstroke is because how awful cold it gets here, but in California, you should be fine with what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back