1995 chevy ck1500 dome light wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Working on a family members chevy 1500. The dome light does not turn on at all. Replaced the fuse and dome light bulb and it still does not turn on. When you open the door, all the other interior lights turn and the push button lights on each side of the dome light work. The dome light override push button on the dash works and was in the out position and the other interior lights work, so that is not the problem. Door jamb switches are good as the other lights turn on and off with it. Before replacing the whole assembly, does anyone else have any ideas? Not really an electrical or chevy person.

Thanks

Here's a wiring diagram.

Looks like you could have a break in the wire anywhere from the dome light to splice 242, or from the light to splice 209. See if you have power or ground at the light socket to narrow it down. If you have power, you probably have a break in the ground wire. If you have ground but no power, you have a break in the power wire.

Are the push button lights supposed to come on with the door open as well?

EDIT: just saw the diagram, so it appears to be the case.

If the courtesy lights come on with the Dome Lamp Defeat (override switch), and only the dome light refuses to work, then the problem is somewhere in the circuit between S242 (where the wires branch off from) and S209 (where the wires come together just before the Headlamp and Panel Dimmer Switch). This includes the socket and the connections inside the dome lamp assembly itself.

Last edited:
First measure voltage across the bulb with the switch on, if there is voltage but no light, your new bulb is DOA. If you are using a LED bulb, most of them work only when plugged in one way so try reversing it.

If no voltage at the bulb, next check the wires going to the socket, voltage there means the socket is bad.

The orange wire should be live all the time. The various switches connect the white wire to ground to turn the light on. The footwell lights and the ceiling light are all wired in parallel, they should all go on or off at the same time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Are the push button lights supposed to come on with the door open as well?

EDIT: just saw the diagram, so it appears to be the case.

If the courtesy lights come on with the Dome Lamp Defeat (override switch), and only the dome light refuses to work, then the problem is somewhere in the circuit between S242 (where the wires branch off from) and S209 (where the wires come together just before the Headlamp and Panel Dimmer Switch). This includes the socket and the connections inside the dome lamp assembly itself.

If I remember correctly, the push button on each side of the dome light only come on if you actually push the button. If they came on when the door was open, the dome light not working would be moot. When you push the button, those lights do work.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I will have to do some more checking the next time the vehicle is at my house. Looks like I'll have to buy a cheap multi-meter as well.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Get a flashlight. It's a 1995 truck.

This vehicle is for an older family member who would like to be able to see when getting in his truck. Take your arrogance somewhere else as it’s not needed or helpful.

every gm dome i have dealt with has an always live orange wire and a white to the door switches which completes the circuit to ground.
corrosion in the bulb clips and wire crimps most common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back