Kitchen sink basket assembly recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garbage disposal is leaking water out the bottom and it has always back-flowed garbage water into the broken dishwasher. This is a rental property where my job is located. The landlord may be doing the work, but if history repeats itself it could be a long wait. I am volunteering my time to switch things out if approved. At this point I am in Boy Scout mode: Be Prepared.

It is hard to know what basket assembly will work. Kinda like using conventional, synthetic, etc.
grin.gif

I have ruled out the $48 one from the local plumbing supply. I may be donating parts.

I almost bought a Peerless one from Wal-Mart for around $10.00. Menards has a table of basket assemblies with different finish and price. Seems $10 gets you low consumer quality. At $20 or more start seeing better materials, but does this matter? The sink will be used 3 times a day pretty much 7 days a week so I also want something that will be problem free down the road.

Will buy at Wal-Mart, Menards, Home Depot, or Lowes after get the go ahead from my boss. Any recommendations? Thanks!

A garbage disposal in a rental? What foul heresey is this? :) Seriously tho, most rentals do not have garbage disposals because tenants will put anything down them and whine when the disposal jams or clogs up. One tenant poured a can of Drano into the disposal when it clogged. Drano loves to dissolve aluminum disposal bodies:) I remove garbage disposals whenever found. Could you remove the disposal and reconnect with plastic pipe and flexible Fernco fittings? ( assuming you can get permission from the property owner) This might be easier.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
A garbage disposal in a rental? What foul heresey is this? :) Seriously tho, most rentals do not have garbage disposals because tenants will put anything down them and whine when the disposal jams or clogs up. One tenant poured a can of Drano into the disposal when it clogged. Drano loves to dissolve aluminum disposal bodies:) I remove garbage disposals whenever found. Could you remove the disposal and reconnect with plastic pipe and flexible Fernco fittings? ( assuming you can get permission from the property owner) This might be easier.

Basically it was a guys house. He moved out and made it a rental. He always says "it worked fine when I lived there", You would not believe the things that I removed from that garbage disposal.

All I need is the basket/strainer assembly. Bought a branch tailpiece for broken dishwasher to connect and another adapter so can center the p-trap. I am confident about switching things out, just not sure about basket/stainer assembly. I am thinking one like this:

Premium Brass Basket Assembly

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have this one, it came with my sink. Its 304 stainless but has plastic ring, its also china made.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Sink-Stra...basket+assembly

If i had to replace it, this one looks a bit better than mine, stainless ring.

https://www.amazon.com/Strainer-Inchic-A...basket+assembly

Thanks, but will not do Amazon. I have a meeting at house Wednesday. If I have the blessing of landlord and my supervisor I will just buy locally and install Thursday. If landlord actually does his job I will return what I bought.

This should work. I suggest using clear silicone seal rather than plumbers putty to seal the strainer into the sink. Silicone is horribly messy but almost eliminates leaks. The Fernco fittings I mentioned are a Godsend is anything is misaligned, as they are soft rubber and flex easily. Could you post pix of what you are trying to do?

I got some commercial grade ones from Lowe's when we got a new sink with our granite countertops. IIRC they were about 15 bucks a piece and are definitely better quality than the cheap ones.

I will be turning off breaker, removing the leaking Badger, cap off wires, install basket/strainer assembly then get things centred. Those pipes on right are not leaking. Just kept bucket there so was going to re-use them:

Interesting your comment about Silicone. I have used it for years in other waterproofing applications. All the videos I watched said to use plumber's putty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I got some commercial grade ones from Lowe's when we got a new sink with our granite countertops. IIRC they were about 15 bucks a piece and are definitely better quality than the cheap ones.

I did not spend as much time looking at Lowe's. Menards was the best. They had a big table with all kinds of assemblies to compare. Lowe's was not as easy for me to find things.

I use Moen, because they don't wear out.
That said, the rubber o-ring set into the base of the basket strainer wears out regularly, and allows the sink to leak very slowly and might be a consideration for your original problem.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I use Moen, because they don't wear out.
That said, the rubber o-ring set into the base of the basket strainer wears out regularly, and allows the sink to leak very slowly and might be a consideration for your original problem.

I did read some reviews of Moen at Home Depot. Must have been lower cost one since reviews not favourable. I am seeing price you pay, not necessarily Brand is setting them apart.

The water comes out of the bottom of the garbage disposal by the reset switch. It is an internal leak. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing them rusting out and leaking.

Disposals tend to corrode where the body attaches to the strainer. Possibly soak all the joints with a good penetrant a few days before? I would use Kroil or PB blaster rather than milder stuff like WD40. WD40 never worked for me. The disposal may need a good whack with a hammer to jar it loose. No problem if you break it as it is scrap anyway.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Disposals tend to corrode where the body attaches to the strainer. Possibly soak all the joints with a good penetrant a few days before? I would use Kroil or PB blaster rather than milder stuff like WD40. WD40 never worked for me. The disposal may need a good whack with a hammer to jar it loose. No problem if you break it as it is scrap anyway.

Three weeks ago came to work on Sunday and was told bathroom and kitchen drain running slow. I carry tools in car just in case. Removing a toothpaste cap, soap, and hair fixed the bathroom drain. Fortunately, someone put a screen in the drain to prevent future problems.

When I checked the kitchen drain there was a puddle of water underneath. I started removing pipes to check for clogs. Water was coming out to dishwasher onto kitchen floor from the garbage disposal. Water supply was turned off to dishwasher. The garbage disposal literally fell into my when I checked for clogs it was so loose. I tightened it, ran some ice through garbage disposal and it drained fine. The p-trap and other drain pipes very clean. If you notice in the picture the hose to the right is the gross dishwasher drain hose stained with garbage. I ran dishwasher for hours to get rid of the strong odor. So, removing garage disposal will not be hard. It also has the InSinkErator mount. Just three screws and a ring to remove.

I am pushing the strainer changout since the garbage water coming out the dishwasher has been going on for years. It will take care of multiple issues at once.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'd probably just replace his nasty badger with a wasteking 8000 if he would pay for it.

These go as low as high $70's on sale
https://www.amazon.com/Waste-King-Continuous-Garbage-Disposal/dp/B000DZGN7Q

TONS better than nasty grade badgers.

They also sell an adapter to use the badger mounting.

Not sure that would solve the garbage water back flowing into the broken dishwasher. Also, all kinds of non food items end up in the garbage disposal. It is a liability having a garbage disposal at this point.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I'd probably just replace his nasty badger with a wasteking 8000 if he would pay for it.

Not sure that would solve the garbage water back flowing into the broken dishwasher. Also, all kinds of non food items end up in the garbage disposal. It is a liability having a garbage disposal at this point.

Just don't reconnect the dishwasher, but all that's needed to prevent that is a high loop on the drain line.

1144177.jpg

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Just don't reconnect the dishwasher, but all that's needed to prevent that is a high loop on the drain line.

1144177.jpg

Great idea on the high loop. I would like to run the dishwasher to do get the remaining lingering garbage out of it. A high loop like you suggested and the branch tailpeice that angles upward should solve that problem. Then the next step is getting landlord to fix, replace, or remove dishwasher. It would be easy to switch out the tailpiece when needed to delete the dishwasher drain.

Speaking about the plumber's putty v. silicone question; I read an article a LONG time ago about "common plumbing mistakes." It stated that for stainless steel sinks using putty to seal around a disposal flange wasn't a good idea due to the vibration causing the sink to flex thus squeezing the putty out. I used clear silicone on mine and have proven that advice true. You can clean up the excess with rubbing alcohol. For rigid sinks (cast iron/porcelain, Corian, etc.) putty works just fine.

I read this to my dad (blueovalfitter). Hes on vacation right now and cant answer you until Feb. 10TH. He retired after 35 years as a welder-pipefitter-journeyman plumber-ABC pipefitter teacher and part owner of a mechanical/plumbing buisness. He was shaking his head at some of the answers I read to him you got on the forum. He did say to tell you good luck.

That is a nice vacation.

Actually, I have worked at this site around 5 years, so if things are not done immediately it is par for the course. For now I will raise the dishwasher hose. I can do it after the meeting tomorrow. Depending on what my supervisor says about switching out things I may still do it this week or soon if asked to.

My supervisor's solution to the problem is telling all staff to not use the garbage disposal and taping the switch shut. So Sunday there was an inch of food in the garbage disposal and it would not spin. Broke it loose so it would spin and ran it.

I am not sure silicone or Plumber's putty will make much difference. There should not be a lot of vibration with no garbage disposal. I can see if the nut under the sink is loose that could cause a leak. I am keeping an open mind at this point regarding silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back