dual auto oil filters for transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to connect a 3/4 -16 spin on filter mount to my Dodge Caravan trans cooler line. I am wondering if a dual filter mount would offer any advantage such as lower pressure drop and more dirt capacity? I know a lot of folks run any old single oil filter with no apparent ill effects, but, I tend to worry about the worst case scenario such as the filter clogging up and killing the trans.

What say you wise ones? hopelessly paranoid or do dual filters have any merit :)

Thanks in advance for any advice?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I plan to connect a 3/4 -16 spin on filter mount to my Dodge Caravan trans cooler line. I am wondering if a dual filter mount would offer any advantage

NONE - except your wallet will be lighter

A single filter (PH-8A or FL-1A size) will flow about 5X more than your trans will ever push through it.

What say you wise ones? hopelessly paranoid?

Yes, obviously

but, I tend to worry about the worst case scenario such as the filter clogging up and killing the trans.

This will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER happen. Ever.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4616296

AGAIN.....

I was thinking about hooking an automotive oil filter into the trans cooler line and changing it twice yearly. I already have a trans cooler as " insurance" when towing in hill country. Would a Fram Ultra or Toughgard work for ths duty? Annual mileage is 6000 miles with 700 miles towing the trailer. Money is tight and I am trying to make this tow vehicle last as long as possible.

Yes, one filter will be fine. For the life of the vehicle.
If you put 6,000 miles a year on this thing, you could drive it for 20 YEARS!!!
and the one filter would STILL be fine!!

Trust me.
Drive the minivan until it is 100% dead,
then cut the filter open -
you will find hardly anything in it.

Changing the oil filter every six months is so necessary, it would be borderline mental issue.

Last edited:
For context, this is the spin on trans filter on an Allison trans on a GM 3/4 ton truck. Tiny little thing but it still works. Your Caravan will be fine with 1 filter.

94721e46af28106a2851124e56b52ba3.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation Linctex. I tend to worry too much about the worst case scenario when, statistically, it will probably never happen.

Free psychological counseling is one of the many benefits of BITOG :)

I plan to connect a 3/4 -16 spin on filter mount to my Dodge Caravan trans cooler line. I am wondering if a dual filter mount would offer any advantage such as lower pressure drop and more dirt capacity? I know a lot of folks run any old single oil filter with no apparent ill effects, but, I tend to worry about the worst case scenario such as the filter clogging up and killing the trans.

What say you wise ones? hopelessly paranoid or do dual filters have any merit :)

Thanks in advanceq for any advice?

What year is the caravan and what setup are you going with? One filter should be fine. I used a magnefine on my old Sienna before.

My 04 Legacy had an external spin on filter for the autobox.

Was not far from the engine oil filter, they were the same size and (at the time) both Black

If memory serves they were labelled so you didn't mix them up.

Not sure if they changed the gearbox filters to blue when they updated the oil filters.

I think you would have to kill the trans in order to clog the filter.

I have opened three or four Magnefine filters, with an element about the size of a fuel filter, and never found anything in the pleats but a shiny flake or two. The magnet is always coated with metal paste, but that's it. I did add the first Magnefine after an early pan drop and filter change, so the trans was pretty clean to start with.

All the automatic transmissions and power steering units on my work trucks and personal vehicles run a in-line 3/4-16 oil filter sized mount. In the past, I put AcDelco, Purolator or Wix filters on them. As change out time comes up, I'm slowly switching them over to Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil filters. You will not have any issues with restriction of oil flow.

4WD,

That's a nice magnet. A lot better than the salvaged magnets from computer hard drives that I use. When you change your oil, have you unscrewed the Magnafilter to see how much metal it caught?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back