Stock Kia Sorento climbs Moab's [censored]'s Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazy2.gif
That was wild, I have to tip my hat to them.

Its just geometry, ground clearance and approach+departure angles. The tranny was using a torque convertor for low speeds which is old stuff.
Should I pretend to be impressed? Its not Rocket Surgery here.

That’s impressive. I’m very pleased with how our Santa Fe Sport does in the snow but would never even consider taking it off road.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Its just geometry, ground clearance and approach+departure angles. The tranny was using a torque convertor for low speeds which is old stuff.

Have you been to Moab and seen this particular spot? It's way way harder that it looks. Please when you go and take your stock whatever up it put the Youtube link on BITOG. Why not it's not rocket surgery, no risk right?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Have you been to Moab and seen this particular spot? It's way way harder that it looks. Please when you go and take your stock whatever up it put the Youtube link on BITOG. Why not it's not rocket surgery, no risk right?
You haven't said why you think the Sorento was able to complete the trek.
If you want to argue, maybe offer some cogent argument. That would be good.
I already said the geometry is important.
I can add that suspension travel must be adequate, yet the Sorento has nothing special there.
Driver luck and skill certainly play a role, but thats not the Sorento.

Tell me what you think is behind the "super-machine" abilities of the Sorento to be able to prove geometry and torque is an actual thing.
You can do it. Just give logic a try.

Literally a few seconds on google:

Bone stock 2014 Grand Cherokee:

My SRT would probably break off the front lower valance, as it has less ground clearance than the regular GC up front.

Written by someone who has never seen this stretch of rock......

i've never been offroad but i'm pretty sure my $600 97 suburban could do that with good tires and a professional driver.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You haven't said why you think the Sorento was able to complete the trek.
If you want to argue, maybe offer some cogent argument. That would be good.
I already said the geometry is important.
I can add that suspension travel must be adequate, yet the Sorento has nothing special there.
Driver luck and skill certainly play a role, but thats not the Sorento.

Tell me what you think is behind the "super-machine" abilities of the Sorento to be able to prove geometry and torque is an actual thing.
You can do it. Just give logic a try.

Too easy to say it's just approach angle, geometry, etc. Stand at the top and look down, stand at the bottom and look up and see how the right side tires have to ride the sidewalls to get up it and you will be impressed no matter who is driving or what it is and yes there's some luck. So yeah, no matter what combination of driving skill and vehicle features are involved you should pretend to be impressed.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Impressive. The Jeep crowd will be upset me thinks.

EXACTLY my first thought, as well!!
grin.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back