Manual transmissions and shifting to 1st gear fr N

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time, I've felt that from NEUTRAL, it is easier to shift to 1st gear by first going into 2nd gear then shifting down to 1. There isn't any trouble getting into 1st gear from Neutral, but I just perceive it to be easier. Am I a snowflake?
Any mechanical engineers know anything about this? Tried searching it but cannot find the right key words.

It's the synchronizers that help you out. You'd also enjoy luck if you blipped the throttle with the clutch out in neutral then went for 1st.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
There isn't any trouble getting into 1st gear from Neutral, but I just perceive it to be easier.

What is easier about it?

Personally, I've always gone from N to 1st in all my past and current cars. Never needed to go into 2nd first.

In neutral with the clutch engaged you have gears moving on the input shaft of the transmission. Shifting into second will halt movement and allow the easier push into first gear.

First and second are large heavy gears with a lot of rotational inertia. Their syncros have the hardest jobs. Second gear syncro always goes "weak" first on my high mileage cars or gets reluctant on cold mornings when the tranny lube is thick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's the synchronizers that help you out. You'd also enjoy luck if you blipped the throttle with the clutch out in neutral then went for 1st.

Good if the car is moving when you shift into first (double clutch) counterproductive if the car is NOT moving.

Hmmm. Have to think about this. Sometimes in my car I have to move the car forward or backward a bit to get it into first if I am sitting still. Otherwise I dont believe ive ever had an issue unless its cold. On my truck sometimes I find it easier to stick it into 2nd and then into first if it wont do first right away.

On a fully synchro trans, Gears are always meshed and not "moved' or "shifted" in position per se, you are just locking the selected gear to the mainshaft with a dog collar. Sometimes they are nose to nose, if the dogs are running slow you will slip the collar over without going nose to nose that would block the lock. When I reverse I go clutch out in N, clutch IN, then select after maybe 1.5 sec.

Some truth to that; some older cars didn't have a synchronized first gear, like my dad's 1947 Lincoln. It will grind a little if you don't shift into second to stop the gears if you've been sitting in neutral with the clutch out. My MG occasionally gets balky going into first, which seems to correct itself if I go into third first, but that feels more like the linkage is just quirky than having bad synchros.

could try pressing the clutch 2-3 seconds earlier to see if that gives more time for the gears to spin down before asking the syncros to do that.

Sometimes grabbing another gear first can slightly rotate the gear assy as the dogs insert, which could also aid the 1st gear insertion.

-m

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
My MG occasionally gets balky going into first,

BMC used to call them baulk rings. Actually pretty common to be harder to get into 1st, and 2nd to 1st being the way to get there. The other gears are changed at speed, 1st is only engaged at rest or very low speed, so is always far less worn than the other gears. Much worse with a dragging clutch - the old BMC Mini/1100 was prone to oil on the clutch, they became very hard to get into 1st, so into 2nd, and a quick slam into 1st.

I’ve never had a problem shifting into 1st gear in any car I’ve owned, which have been mostly various Japanese makes.

I have had to bump cars slightly forward in 1st to be able shift into reverse, but that gear typically doesn’t have synchromesh.

BSW

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
For the longest time, I've felt that from NEUTRAL, it is easier to shift to 1st gear by first going into 2nd gear then shifting down to 1. There isn't any trouble getting into 1st gear from Neutral, but I just perceive it to be easier. Am I a snowflake?
Any mechanical engineers know anything about this? Tried searching it but cannot find the right key words.

Type of car? Rolling to a stop or already stopped?

If its rolling to a stop, then the explanation is simple... the 2nd gear synchros spin the clutch disk up part of the way, so its already spinning pretty fast when you try to push into first. Pushing straight into first at any sort of road speed means the first gear synchro gets a real pounding trying to spin the clutch up to high RPM.

If its sitting at a stop the synchros have to do the opposite, spin the clutch disk down to a stop before you can get the lever into gear, and both the 1st and 2nd synchros do exactly the same delta-RPM. It could just be that the first gear synchro is a little worn. My daughter's Jeep XJ has done that since back when I drove it 7-8 years ago. It never gnashes into first, but the lever is harder to push into first than into second.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
In neutral with the clutch engaged you have gears moving on the input shaft of the transmission. Shifting into second will halt movement and allow the easier push into first gear.

thumbsup2.gif

From the time you press the clutch in to the time the input shaft stops spinning is 3 to 5 seconds. This is an industry standard. It is tested by the presence of gear clash when shifting into (unsynchronized) reverse. Any sooner or longer indicates a transmission that is too tight or too loose.

Your shifting into second stops the transmission from spinning. You probably could have achieved the same thing by waiting a bit longer shifting from neutral to first.

I always put an even amount of pressure with the shifter and wait just a fraction of a second before the shifter is accepted into first. This allows the parts to spool down for shifting. People that try to slam it into first will quickly ruin the synchronizers for first gear.

When I owned cars that had 3 speed transmissions I always pushed the shifter toward 2nd gear to stop things from turning inside of the transmission. It kept the transmission from grinding 1st gear. The only car that I own now has an old Borg Warner T10 4 speed and it has synchro on first gear so I don't need to use second gear like on the old three on the tree.

Syncro on reverse is pretty common now - it uses the same fork and syncro hub as 5th, so not a big change.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

First and second are large heavy gears with a lot of rotational inertia. Their syncros have the hardest jobs. Second gear syncro always goes "weak" first on my high mileage cars or gets reluctant on cold mornings when the tranny lube is thick.

This

Many manual transmissions don't have a syncro for first gear. My Mazda is fully syncro'ed including reverse, so pick your gear and go. Not sure about the PT Cruiser's five speed, it's not exactly a sweet shifting transmission at the best of times, plus it's got terrible clutch engagement that apparently can't be fixed. So shifting with it is usually done more carefully than you would with a "good" transmission.

But regardless, race car or tractor, shifting does require a little finesse beyond just picking a gear and letting out the clutch; rev-matching, double-clutching, and clutchless shifting are all techniques you should learn.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Syncro on reverse is pretty common now - it uses the same fork and syncro hub as 5th, so not a big change.

Depends on the transmission; 1st/Reverse is also common.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Many manual transmissions don't have a syncro for first gear. My Mazda is fully syncro'ed including reverse, so pick your gear and go. Not sure about the PT Cruiser's five speed, it's not exactly a sweet shifting transmission at the best of times, plus it's got terrible clutch engagement that apparently can't be fixed. So shifting with it is usually done more carefully than you would with a "good" transmission.

But regardless, race car or tractor, shifting does require a little finesse beyond just picking a gear and letting out the clutch; rev-matching, double-clutching, and clutchless shifting are all techniques you should learn.

I have only owned one car that had no synchro on 1sr

A 1966 Austin A40 Mk2 Farina.

Ford (week the MTX 75) were the first Manufacturer to put a synchro on reverse as far as I can remember, on the mk1 Mondeo if I remember correctly so that would have been 92/93, a really sweet gearbox, I have owned a few Mondeos (a mk1, 2xMk2 and a mk3.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back