New Champion Branded Filters at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running and/or do a tear-down of this new filter at Pepboys ? These filters are from Federal-Mogul, not Fram/Champion Labs . I just picked COS3614 for an Avalon on an oil deal and it looks pretty decent for a mid-range filter. Specs/ sell sheet: 99% filtration efficiency, quality media, metal center tube (louver), metal end caps, Silicone ADBV, thick canister. They claim low pressure drop/restriction even with the high efficiency. I haven't tried this filter on my Stealth yet, which requires good filter flow to prevent lifter noise. Looks like they spent a lot of $ on the filter packaging,but it does help protect the filter. Even a desiccant pack inside.

Champion Filter page

Last edited:
Packaging looks interesting, if the baseplate pictured is accurate, looks like a Puro. Pepboys has a long history with Puro so not surprised if this is a special deal just for them.

Maybe, but the Puro filter L10241 for the Avalon has a different based plate with oval holes. The Champion has round holes.

Website link says "Up to 99% filtration efficiency".

At what micron level? Doesn't say anywhete that I could find on their site.

I e-mailed the company, requesting data for the filter COS3593A, for my application. I will post, if I receive anything.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

It is a solid cardboard semi-gloss finished tube, with a slip fit cap - feels and looks high quality. Seals out dust and fibers you get from the typical cheap box packaging. I noticed the filter itself was very clean with no dirt or metal debris on the threads with some other filters. I can't bring myself to throw out the packaging - so, if I keep buying these filters I'll become a hoarder with a room full.
grin.gif

Last edited:
@Pajero

Glad to post about this new filter. Appreciate you posting info on the COS3593A, my Stealth uses this filter.

Originally Posted By: edge10
It is a solid cardboard semi-gloss finished tube, with a slip fit cap - feels and looks high quality. Seals out dust and fibers you get from the typical cheap box packaging. I noticed the filter itself was very clean with no dirt or metal debris on the threads with some other filters. I can't bring myself to throw out the packaging - so, if I keep buying these filters I'll become a hoarder with a room full.
grin.gif

Awesome, the look like great little spare nut and bolt bins. Maybe Ill try one on an american car that comes through.

Found more info at this link for the for a PDF sell sheet for the COS3593A filter Shell Sheet COS3593A. It shows 99% multi-pass efficiency based on ISO 4548-12, which I assume is calculated using multiple particle sizes. Graphics of filter show center tube shows perforated holes rather than actual louvers, but which is better for flow/pressure drop depends on total area and loss Coef. By-pass valve is shown as a poppet type with a separate coil spring. Overall looks pretty decent.

Found more info at this link for the for a PDF sell sheet for the COS3593A filter Shell Sheet COS3593A. It shows 99% multi-pass efficiency based on ISO 4548-12, which I assume is calculated using multiple particle sizes. Graphics of filter show center tube shows perforated holes rather than actual louvers, but which is better for flow/pressure drop depends on total area and loss Coef. By-pass valve is shown as a poppet type with a separate coil spring. Overall looks pretty decent.

They state ISO 4548-12, but fail to show the micron rating for the claimed 99% efficiency. Hiding something it seems from their written advertisements.

Any center tube design works well as long as there are enough holes or louvers, and the louvers aren't closed up but instead bent open a good amount. Yes, the overall design looks good (per cut-away in the PDF), but what's the real efficiency is still a mystery.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Weird, because the picture in the PDF you linked shows the baseplate with the one bigger hole, which I thought was typical of Champ made filters?
confused2.gif

It could be an filter OEM'd from Fram/Champion Labs to Champion FM spec. That filter does look like it has a Champion Lab base plate design. Also, the Champion FM filter use the part number suffix from Fram, where a Fram TG3593A is the same vehicle application as a Champion FM COS3593A. Same for a TG3614/COS3614 filter. Fram TG also claims 99% efficiency from Pep Boys web site, but I have not looked into the particle size or the spec they are referencing.

Fram TG also claims 99% efficiency from Pep Boys web site, but I have not looked into the particle size or the spec they are referencing.

Fram's website says 99% at >20 microns, which essentially means 20 microns and greater.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Demystification Link

Thanks. Looks like a decent filter. Agree the pleat spacing could be better, but it did hold up with no tears. Looks like a decent filter otherwise. 99% at 20 micron is OK with me, with my older vehicles my preference is more flow vs filtration. I would like to know the efficiency at other particle sizes and pressure drop info though.

Demystification Link

Thanks. Looks like a decent filter. Agree the pleat spacing could be better, but it did hold up with no tears. Looks like a decent filter otherwise. 99% at 20 micron is OK with me, with my older vehicles my preference is more flow vs filtration. I would like to know the efficiency at other particle sizes and pressure drop info though.

I'm betting it's not 99% @ 20 microns. If it was, they would certainly come out and show that information in their advertisement info. It's probably more like 99% at 35 or 40 microns.

Got a return phone call from Federal Mogul. Their Champion oil filters are 99% efficient @ 20 microns per their rep. Good for 7,500 miles on conventional oil or 12,000 miles on synthetic oil. No time constraint (i.e. 1 year).

http://www.championautoparts.com/Products/Car-Filters/Oil-Filters.html

From this thread you participated in where you said you had question for them but were not going to contact them, so bet away. No way to prove without contacting them unless you're going to pay for the test yourself.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4365879/1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back