FVP R1372 C&P Junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off my 2003 Marauder, 4.6 DOHC approx. 3200 miles on this change. Ran regular bulk 5w30 that we get from Kath. I accidentally filled with that instead of my usual Amsoil OE. Makes me think twice about running 5k like I normally do...

Do I see a Combi valve - I wouldn't run that. Had one through NAPA (WIX) not work on my FIT. Who is OE for FVP ?

Too much glass in media, too cold an oil and too much water in oil = FAIL.

Possibly.

Wix made budget filter usually they fare quite well although efficiency is nothing to write home about. Don't think I have ever seen one torn like that.

Thanks for the C/P.

Originally Posted By: pbm
What is 'Kath'?
What is 'FVP'?

Kath oil is our vendor at work. FVP is Factory Motor Parts. No idea who builds the filter, maybe someone can chime in.

I would stick with the Ultra XG2s for that engine, my MGM 4.6 2V in my sig actually had an ADBV issue with the Carquest Blue filters (both Affinia & Fram/Champ made), ZERO issues with the Ultra so far, I'll run the XG2 for either 3 or 4 5K 5W20 Magnatec OCIs (depending on how the first one looks cut open after 15K). I personally love the Marauders, just couldn't find a good enough deal on one when when I picked up the MGM.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would stick with the Ultra XG2s for that engine, my MGM 4.6 2V in my sig actually had an ADBV issue with the Carquest Blue filters (both Affinia & Fram/Champ made), ZERO issues with the Ultra so far, I'll run the XG2 for either 3 or 4 5K 5W20 Magnatec OCIs (depending on how the first one looks cut open after 15K). I personally love the Marauders, just couldn't find a good enough deal on one when when I picked up the MGM.

If the car was in better shape I would absolutely run a better filter, but at 217k miles these are fine. I use good oil and change it religiously. I've never had any startup rattle or ill effects.

I got a great deal on mine. Paid 4,300 with 175k miles on it. Not cheap but it's been a fantastic car. Just need to make it to spring and she's going to be looking for a new owner.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

If the car was in better shape I would absolutely run a better filter, but at 217k miles these are fine. I use good oil and change it religiously. I've never had any startup rattle or ill effects.

I got a great deal on mine. Paid 4,300 with 175k miles on it. Not cheap but it's been a fantastic car. Just need to make it to spring and she's going to be looking for a new owner.
I paid $3100 for mine, with 113K, was a 92 year old college professor's car (he lived in Nashville, TN, so no rust)-I just can't stand the timing chain death rattle on start with a bad ADBV (not that I couldn't put a chain kit on it-just don't want to).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Too much glass in media, too cold an oil and too much water in oil = FAIL.

Possibly.

I don't think "too much glass in the media" had anything to do with the failure. How do you know exactly what the media is in this filter?

Its a Proprietary blend with too much short strand glassfibre
smile.gif

Guesses aside, We do know of course the stresses are much higher near the glue joint at the end caps.

Wonder if there was some media varnishing that could have added to the issue.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Its a Proprietary blend with too much short strand glassfibre
smile.gif

If it's a "proprietary blend", then only they know the real amount of glass fiber ... nobody else.

Looks like a Wix made filter (the combo valve I have only seen on budget Wix made filters like the Supertech, Microguard and NAPA Pro Select). Looks almost identical to the ST2 I cut open.

I was a big fan of the budget Wix made filters till the last 2 that I used (ST2 and ST6607, the media tore very easily on both with minimal effort when I was taking them apart).

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wix made budget filter usually they fare quite well although efficiency is nothing to write home about. Don't think I have ever seen one torn like that.

Thanks for the C/P.

The FVP filters I've seen are offshore manufacture. Any links to post regarding link to Wix?

https://www.fvpparts.com/products/filters/oil-filters/

This filter was stamped "Made in USA". I do believe it to be a Wix made filter.

Shocking. Is that the FVP ReliaGuard? I've used one that was made in China and had the knock-off Purolator style base with the oval holes, totally different than the OPs one

I've only ever used K&N, Motorcraft or Ford Racing FL820S in my Marauder, due to the fact that they have a base end ADBV, (except for the K&N, this was before I knew better) and that's what Henry says it needs to have. My dealership chain has a Ford store up the road and since I found out I can get the Ford Racing version for $12 (cost plus 10%) I never looked back. Best filter in the known universe for this engine. Here's mine... (shameless plug)

2rw8103.png

Last edited:
Gorgeous car.

I think you meant base end bypass valve though, usually referred to as a "thread end bypass".

The combo valve is what sealed the deal for me as far as thinking the OP's filter was a Wix budget filter. They typically do have very brittle media, it will tear easily with pressure from your thumb, but I have never seen oil flow tear one until now.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: pbm
What is 'Kath'?
What is 'FVP'?

Kath oil is our vendor at work. FVP is Factory Motor Parts. No idea who builds the filter, maybe someone can chime in.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back