A slide/rail wear question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at length since the beginning of time. Just before I dive into the see of debate on Google I'd like your opinions on firearms maintenance.

The question is, should I be worried if the finishing/coating on the slide where it meets the frame has worn to show the bare metal?

Worry all you want, it won't solve anything.
grin.gif

Guns are tools and tools get worn. If you use it enough it will get worn out, eventually.

That said, even SIG Sauer pistols, which have steel running on the aluminum rails, have a lifetime of 10s of thousands of rounds. By that point you’ll have spent many multiples of the pistol's cost on ammo to run through it.

Lube is good, what specific type is less important than using enough. What exact type I’d use would depend on the use. For a gun that’s carried exposed to the cold in winter, I’d use a thinner gun oil. Arizona in the summer, I’d probably use a gun grease.

BSW

Nope not an issue. There aren't too many coatings in existence (if any) that can put up with that level of abrasion.

I do, however, grease my slide rails, separately from using oil on every other part. The grease I use is called Shooter's Choice and it comes in a plastic syringe. Seems to do a good job and sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back