2016 Volvo XC60 - "Don't be that dad"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proof that you can let your family eat, drink, color, and generally be normal in a vehicle and still keep it nice. There's no need to be "that dad" and disallow fun inside the car.

The interior gets pretty filthy but always comes back with a quick vacuum and some Griot's Interior Detailer.

The paint was topped with Griot's Poly Wax in September 2016. Since then it has only seen Griot's Spray Wax a few times between washes.

I started to see some water spots and light swirling so I decided to use Griot's One-Step sealant on a finishing pad. Set the DA to give-er and this is what came out:

The tires are dressed with Griot's Black Shine.

It looks fantastic!
Even if you are a traitorous China-lover...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
It looks fantastic!
Even if you are a traitorous China-lover...
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, didn't quite know how to reply to that... so I decided not to.

Nice looking vehicle!
I thought having a rear-facing child seat touching a front seat was considered a safety hazard, though...not trying to be Mr. Nitpicky here, just think that might be an issue. Haven't installed one in a car in over 15 years, so maybe I am out of touch now.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Nice looking vehicle!
I thought having a rear-facing child seat touching a front seat was considered a safety hazard

It's a trick of the angle. There's over an inch between the car seat and the passenger seat back.

Nice looking vehicle!
I thought having a rear-facing child seat touching a front seat was considered a safety hazard, though...not trying to be Mr. Nitpicky here, just think that might be an issue. Haven't installed one in a car in over 15 years, so maybe I am out of touch now.

It's not supposed to be a problem if its touching, lots of car seat manufacturers say that's OK. Braced or jammed hard against the front seat is something different but keeping them in a rear facing seat longer is better in any case IMO.

Just wait ten more years, if you have that car that long. Most parents cars I’ve seen look like rolling garbage dumpsters.

Edit to add: I am surprised you didn’t get a Volkswagen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Just wait ten more years, if you have that car that long. Most parents cars I’ve seen look like rolling garbage dumpsters.

Edit to add: I am surprised you didn’t get a Volkswagen.

The missus isn't actually much of a VW fan, and we bought this before the new Tiguan and Atlas were released. We were originally after an X3 (we had an E83 before this, and a long line of BMWs before that) but the new X3 didn't really do it for us. Maybe they'll get us back with the next generation. Maybe not. I'm really feeling what Volvo is doing right now with all that Geely cash.

I can't let the cars get rough. I've seen the "rolling garbage dumpsters..." I don't know how people live like that. I've eased up a little (think full detail every weekend) but it's still so satisfying to polish them up. I went a whole 16 months with just washing and spray wax on this one! And I just used an AIO! Very pleased with the results.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I can't let the cars get rough. I've seen the "rolling garbage dumpsters..." I don't know how people live like that. I've eased up a little (think full detail every weekend) but it's still so satisfying to polish them up. I went a whole 16 months with just washing and spray wax on this one! And I just used an AIO! Very pleased with the results.

My wife works at a small private school as a kindergarten aide(she actually claims to enjoy it!) and helps getting kids in and out of their parents' cars; she says that you cannot believe how messy and disgusting some of the cars are. Luckily my wife shares my opinion about vehicle cleanliness and none of our cars ever got filled up with garbage like fast food wrappers, cups, and drink bottles/cans.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nice looking vehicle!
I thought having a rear-facing child seat touching a front seat was considered a safety hazard

It's a trick of the angle. There's over an inch between the car seat and the passenger seat back.

Ah, good to hear!

As for car messiness, if my daughter is home from school for three days her car will end up with three Dunks cups as well as loads of crumpled up paper scattered around. Before I get too outraged, I think back to my first car and driving around with a pile of old fast food bags next to me...at least I generally didn't eat while I drove, but it did happen a few times before I wised up.
The mess always bothered me but I was just being lazy, when I bought my own new car I couldn't stand to have any mess in it at all and I have been like that ever since. My hackles even get raised if somebody leaves a straw wrapper crumpled up in a rear cupholder.

When I see a garbage can of a vehicle, I expect the mechanical maintenance to be none existent. If they can't keep clean what is seen, why expect anything different unseen.

Originally Posted By: bugeye
When I see a garbage can of a vehicle, I expect the mechanical maintenance to be none existent. If they can't keep clean what is seen, why expect anything different unseen.

Thanks for reminding me! I forgot my usual gratuitous underhood shot. Will follow-up this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back