725k on a porsche 930

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maintenance is king, to be sure, but I'd love to inspect that vehicle for rust.
I'd also like to know what shape the body mounts and suspension bushings are in.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Maintenance is king, to be sure, but I'd love to inspect that vehicle for rust.
I'd also like to know what shape the body mounts and suspension bushings are in.

I highly doubt that it's rusty. Just look at it.

And a guarantee everything on this car has been replaced more than once, especially all the rubber parts.

Porsche's, Volvo's, and VW's seem to last forever if you take good care of them. Heck, you don't even have to take that great a care honestly. My college buddy had a 70's Volvo diesel we called the tank. That thing got seriously abused. Even drove it into the pond at the frat house... twice. We won't talk about what kind of lubrication he was using at the time. I don't know how many junked VW's we've pulled out and been able to get running quickly with a new battery and fluids. If you treat these things right, they might just last forever.

Tangential note:

Anything will last forever "if you maintain it properly." By that standard, there's no difference between a Yugo and a Camry.

The difference is in what it takes to "maintain it properly."

That's a nice looking ride...I'm sure the owner feels like that car is a part of him.
I remember drooling over the 930 when I was a kid in high school.
Just to show how much things have changed, poking around online suggests that the 1975 Euro 930's 3.0l turbo was good for 256HP while the US version was derated to 234HP...the 2.0l turbo in my dad SUV is good for about 250HP. Of course, there are standard production 2.0l turbos now that do better than 250HP and a high end 911 will now be in the neighborhood of 600HP...

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Would love some details, ie how many engines has he gone through?

That's the key and/or maintenance log for overall big ticket items!

shocked2.gif

b-b-but muh toyotas
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
That's a nice looking ride...I'm sure the owner feels like that car is a part of him.
I remember drooling over the 930 when I was a kid in high school.
Just to show how much things have changed, poking around online suggests that the 1975 Euro 930's 3.0l turbo was good for 256HP while the US version was derated to 234HP...the 2.0l turbo in my dad SUV is good for about 250HP. Of course, there are standard production 2.0l turbos now that do better than 250HP and a high end 911 will now be in the neighborhood of 600HP...

Chrysler got a rated 225HP (and reality was 250+) from 2.2 litres 25 years ago. Ford managed 215 from 2.3 litres 30 years ago, and that was a 200,000+ mile engine.

Same here. To be a 725K car,it has to have 725K on the original (untouched) engine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Same here. To be a 725K car,it has to have 725K on the original (untouched) engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's had it rebuilt a couple times. Why put up with oil burning or loss of compression, or wait until it breaks in an expensive way? Also its his business vehicle so it can't be unreliable.
I know if you are selling a regular car, it hardly matters what mileage is on the engine, its the mileage on the car that will determine its value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back