DEXOS1 Gen 2 : Best For GDI Of All Makes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While DEXOS1 Gen2 is a GM oil spec - what are your thoughts that DEXOS1 Gen 2 would be the best US oil for all makes of GDI engines which use 0W20/30 or 5W20/30 ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
While DEXOS1 Gen2 is a GM oil spec - what are your thoughts that DEXOS1 Gen 2 would be the best US oil for all makes of GDI engines which use 0W20/30 or 5W20/30 ?

Sorry but I'm not a high vis guy. Yes, I now use Dexos on my Ford as well as my Chev. I believe Dexos truly is a cut above.

I also made a table for the high vis guys.

If the manufacturer says 30 weight, use 40
If the manufacturer says 20 weight, use 30

Hope that helps. SF

Last edited:
I generally stick with the specified viscosity. That being said, dexos1 Gen2 has some added tests that aren't in API SN or ILSAC GF5 tests that also include a timing chain wear test if I recall. I trust dexos1 Gen2 enough that I drained the oil out on our Cruze very early just to get the new stuff in the engine.

New GM ad campaign: "dexos1 Gen2: Not Just for Breakfast Anymore"

dexos1 tests are run after all the usual SN, GF-5 tests have been run, so you can already see its a 'generic' spec.
Then, dexos1-unique tests pull some ACEA tests in (European), so you can see its also a Euro spec to some degree, using Euro engines for tests.
After that, other tests are run which further validate the oil for more types of seals, LSPI in GM engines, chain wear, oxidation tests, .... but its all applicable to any non-GM engine.
For all American, Japanese, British, & Korean makes anyway. Germans do their own thing, although the full-syn versions of dexos1 Gen2 would probably work fine in BMW's too since BMW went HTHS<3.0 recently in almost all their engines. BMW, VW, and Mercedes have their own specs, and should be followed though.

I believe that the original 'dexos' spec'd oil would work fine in a non-turbo GDI engine.
A small (1.4L, 1.5L, 1.6L etc....) turbo GDI probably benefits from gen2 dexos oil.....unfortunately these engines seem to be the 'future'....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I believe that the original 'dexos' spec'd oil would work fine in a non-turbo GDI engine.
A small (1.4L, 1.5L, 1.6L etc....) turbo GDI probably benefits from gen2 dexos oil.....unfortunately these engines seem to be the 'future'....

Or a turbo without GDI. If it had both, then I would go for Dexos 1 gen 2.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Do all Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils have low calcium?
QSUD, PP, Canadian AC-Delco, U.S. AC-Delco, and all dexos1 M1 oils do have Ca
Na+Ca is supposed to be really bad for LSPI, so I'm wondering if the old Valvoline Synthetic Na+Ca formula will survive to be dexos1 Gen2. Waiting for an oil analysis to be posted here.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The Europeans sure seem to like 40 weight oil. Not sure why the divergence.

They like a minimum HTHS.

Or at least they used to.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I wouldn’t run it in my BMW
And far enough. The Europeans sure seem to like 40 weight oil. Not sure why the divergence.
In the last couple of years, VW has been specifying 508/509, which is a 0w20, for some engines, and BMW specs LL-01FE (0w30) and LL-14FE (0w20) for most of their engines. Nothing I've heard of with Mercedes.

d1g2 or dexos2 definitely for any non-Euro GDI or TGDI (GM/Ford/Hyundai/Honda/etc)

A3/B4 and/or mfr-spec for the Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back