Here it is!!! First TGMO 0W-16 UOA 2018 I4 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is TGMO 0W-16 2018 Camry factory fill despite what BL put on the report. Also, the engine is an I4 A25A-FKS.

Thoughts on additive pack and factory fill wear metals?

Interesting. Seems to be an oil intended to pass SN+/GF6 standards for LSPI prevention with the low calcium, high magnesium formula. And I wonder if the molybdenum is from assembly lubes or is part of the oil package? Sure is a lot of it.

Wear metals look good for a brand new engine. Copper and silicon should wash out in the next OCI. Also interesting Blackstone doesn’t seem to know an appropriate viscosity range for 0w-16.

Lots of moly, either from assembly lube or Toyota likes to use a Mazda-like amount of moly in original motor oil.
Actually iron is surprisingly low for a brand new engine.
Copper was high, but probably normal.
Funny how Blackstone labelled a 0w10.
Your kv100 viscosity looks like new 0w16 oil. If it was 0w20, it would be about 8 (yours is 6.4).
I'd be soooooo tempted to use 0w20 in that engine. "Visco-phobia", I know.

Lot's of "noise" here. Very hard to determine wear from break-in. Thanks for the post though, OP.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Lots of moly, either from assembly lube or Toyota likes to use a Mazda-like amount of moly in original motor oil.
Your kv100 viscosity looks like new 0w16 oil. If it was 0w20, it would be about 8 (yours is 6.4).

Thanks for the input. I refilled with 0W-20. Don't really trust a kv100 approaching 6 and am definitely not paying nearly $10 a quart for TGMO 0W-16.

Originally Posted By: Danh
And I wonder if the molybdenum is from assembly lubes or is part of the oil package? Sure is a lot of it.

Definitely assembly lube. Almost definitely in the oil as well.

The Blackstone comment mentions a “fair amount of metals and silicon”. The silicon is typical of a new engine as is copper but your metal numbers are really very very low for a break in oil change. I would be very pleased with that report.

It’s a keeper.

My opinion,coming from a brand new car with only 4000 miles on it,there are absolutely zero wear metals!! I think it looks great!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My opinion,coming from a brand new car with only 4000 miles on it,there are absolutely zero wear metals!! I think it looks great!

Exactly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a break in uoa with numbers that low.

Thanks for posting.
Is there improvement in surface technology/finishing and manufacturing compared to previous year model ?

Originally Posted By: kaminski54

Thanks for the input. I refilled with 0W-20. Don't really trust a kv100 approaching 6 and am definitely not paying nearly $10 a quart for TGMO 0W-16.

Honestly ?

I'd chose a 0W16 over a japanese 0W20 probably any day...their push for the 16 grade seemed to be because they'd manipulated the heck out of SAE, J300, and API to get a fix that was part way towards their goals.

When we have an engine go over 60K on 0w20. Ill start trusting it. So far no luck out of 4 cars in the past decade. Mine gets driven hard the wife's get driven "normally' but it's not garaged in the Winter and will see lots of sub freezing starts with minimal warmup.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Give it time people didn’t trust 0W20 when it came out. Now it’s used without issue. Looks great.

One attractive thing about 0w16 is that they need to put in some powerful boundary lubrication surface tribofilms for both cold and hot conditions.
Ravenol was making this point in:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4402111/Ravenol_0W16_video
Scroll down for the English version.....
They have tri-nuke moly and organic friction modifiers (maybe esters).

Last edited:
Is it possible to just buy straight VII?
If so, then you could add some to the 0w16 and pump up the kv100 a tad. Add a little every 2,000 miles since VII does break.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: kaminski54

Honestly ?

I'd chose a 0W16 over a japanese 0W20 probably any day...their push for the 16 grade seemed to be because they'd manipulated the heck out of SAE, J300, and API to get a fix that was part way towards their goals.

Could you explain why you'd choose a 0W-16. I don't quite under understand.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
When we have an engine go over 60K on 0w20. Ill start trusting it. So far no luck out of 4 cars in the past decade. Mine gets driven hard the wife's get driven "normally' but it's not garaged in the Winter and will see lots of sub freezing starts with minimal warmup.

You know 60k is a typical power train warranty length since, 90s right?

Is it possible to just buy straight VII?
If so, then you could add some to the 0w16 and pump up the kv100 a tad. Add a little every 2,000 miles since VII does break.

From what I read most of the 0w16 spec engine has variable volume oil pump. If you are that concerned why don't you use 0w20?

[/quote]
From what I read most of the 0w16 spec engine has variable volume oil pump. If you are that concerned why don't you use 0w20? [/quote]

I've been wondering about the variable volume oil pump as well, as the A25A-FKS has one. Wondering as what the relationship between variability of pump and oil viscosity is.

I wouldn't mind continuing to use 0W-16, but $10/qt is hard to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back