57.000 miles Nissan Sentra, basic maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 2012 Sentra with 57000 miles manual, I am going to do the basic maintenance.

1-spark plugs
2-serpentine belt
3-air filter
4-cabin filter
5-transmission fluid
6-coolant

anything else ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Full synthetic oil and filter.

that it ? anything else ? the car does not have a fuel filter is that normal ?

Most cars just have a lifetime filter in the fuel tank.
Take the wheels off and check the brakes, suspension joints and brake fluid level.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Are spark plugs actually due by 57K? Did Nissan not use iridium plugs?

the previous owner never changed spark plugs

Rust proofing. Spray with veg oil and/or motor oil/diesel costs next to nothing and may buy you quite a lot of time.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
I called the dealership and they want it $55 for a qt of MTF, I am not buying that,

It really doesn't need it yet.

Spark plugs will still be fine.

I got a2014 Nissan Versa with a manual. 56,500 miles.

USE SYNTHETIC OIL and FRAM ULTRA OR MOBIL 1 filter. Believe me, these Nissan engines, exactly at 5,000 miles, they thin the oil out. So 5,000 mile OCIs or 4 months is a must.

I would change the transmission oil now.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I got a2014 Nissan Versa with a manual. 56,500 miles.

USE SYNTHETIC OIL and FRAM ULTRA OR MOBIL 1 filter. Believe me, these Nissan engines, exactly at 5,000 miles, they thin the oil out. So 5,000 mile OCIs or 4 months is a must.

I would change the transmission oil now.

what do you use in your transmission, is the 6 speed ?

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
Originally Posted By: czbrian
Are spark plugs actually due by 57K? Did Nissan not use iridium plugs?

the previous owner never changed spark plugs

Take a look at the owners manual / service and maintenance guide. Spark plugs are good for 105K miles per Nissan since they are iridium plugs. Changing now would be a waste.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Rust proofing. Spray with veg oil and/or motor oil/diesel costs next to nothing and may buy you quite a lot of time.

If corrosion is an issue where the OP lives, I am sure there are oil spray shops they can visit. If not, the OP can travel somewhere to get it done.

I love the third world solutions you offer, they are often quite creative but often not the ideal solution for north america.

EDIT: On the topic of corrosion, clean out behind the wheels behind/under the fenderwell liner. Debris packed in there will rust your front fenders like crazy

Last edited:
I don't see the logic in changing MTF that probably doesn't even have a maintenance interval and putting the wrong fluid in.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Ducked

If corrosion is an issue where the OP lives, I am sure there are oil spray shops they can visit. If not, the OP can travel somewhere to get it done.

I love the third world solutions you offer, they are often quite creative but often not the ideal solution for north america.

EDIT: On the topic of corrosion, clean out behind the wheels behind/under the fenderwell liner. Debris packed in there will rust your front fenders like crazy

Fair enough. 2012 perhaps isn't old enough for lowest-cost options to necessarily be the first choice.

Here there's probably no option, but you assume a first world/north american/"professional"solution is necessarily superior. I don't believe that's necessarily the case.

Be that as it may, if corrosion is an issue, doing something, now, about corrosion, whatever it is, is likely to be a whole lot better than doing nothing, now, (which is what most people do), and instead spending time agonising about whether to change your spark plugs.

As far as I can see, there is nothing very "preventative" about changing your spark plugs, except that it prevents having to change your spark plugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back