popcorn maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you use to make popcorn? Our old hot air popper is dying. I looked around on Amazon and see a lot of these silicone bowls for use in the microwave, but I have no experience with them. Any input appreciated.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I usually use a pot and the stove. I am not very technical or savvy.

I decided to get high tech and bought a Whirley Pop on sale at TSC.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Are hot air poppers a thing of the past?

That's what I was wondering. Hot air poppers are known to work real good by popping all the kernels.

And then there's the added benefit of using no oil which adds fat.

I just got a Presto air popper from Walmart. For the past few years, I've usually either got the microwave bags or just put oil inside a pan with 2 test kernels, then add popcorn on stovetop.

Try any of the ones https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/microwave-popcorn-popper
I like the first one listed. Interesting if it works. Anybody use those?

I see Amazon generally has about a 4 out of 5 star rating of satisfaction with the plain big glass "jug" style microwave poppers. 4/5 ain't bad really. Should be OK.

Last edited:
This should be good.

35.gif

Microwavable bags. Yea yea, I know it's bad for you.
27.gif

Me too. My wife got me one with a heated assembly that allows the kernels to be mixed around. Excellent little thing.

Bought a new West Bend bowl shaped metal popper with a plastic bowl lid that doubles as a serving bowl. I use the movie pop oil and plain kernals. Tastes great.

We have a Great Northern popcorn popper. We pop around 30 lbs a year. A good portion of that is homemade caramel corn. the unit is stainless steel. This one has held up better than the last 2 from another manufacturer. Oh yah it's a stove top model

Originally Posted By: AVB

I decided to get high tech and bought a Whirley Pop on sale at TSC.

We have a Whirley Pop as well. Works fine!

I went on a quest years ago to find the best tasting home made popcorn. For hardware I use an electric popper. The type with the clear dome lid and electric stirrer. I use coconut popcorn oil that can be had on eBay or the likes in gallon jugs or less reasonably. It's a yellowish/orange dyed oil that is like a thick butter consistency when room temp or less. For flavoring I use the below powdered topping. Again, can only find it by mail order and a jar lasts a long time. Anyone who's tasted this combo goes nuts over it when I make it.
81vcXLogrpL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:

My favorite way.... by FAR.

I like sunflower oil the best. You don't need much.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
What do you use to make popcorn? Our old hot air popper is dying. I looked around on Amazon and see a lot of these silicone bowls for use in the microwave, but I have no experience with them. Any input appreciated.

We have one of these. Works fine but you have to listen to the popping and when it slows down to just a few stop or the popcorn starts to scorch. It's completely dry so salt doesn't stick very well. Nothing to clean. Not sure if it's better than a paper bag but you won't catch it on fire.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The best is the good old fashioned way. Raw popcorn kernels popped in hot oil on the stove.

Friend of mine got a bad burn on his face doing that. Microwave all the way!

I've been through a lot of variations of popcorn making. Here's what I've landed on as being the best popcorn that I can make at home.
If you want theatre style, buttered popcorn, keep reading.
If you want low sodium and low calorie, no need to read further.

Popper

https://www.amazon.com/StovePop-Stainles...+popcorn+popper

I've used this popper for about 2 years now - still looks like new after about 50 uses, and I like the enclosed stirring machinery, no open gears like other poppers.
Top quality piece here.

Use 3 tablespoons of peanut or canola oil to 1/2 cup kernels. Start the kernels with the oil and pot cold. Use level 7 heat.
I give the pot a few shakes while it is heating up to mix the oil, flavocol and kernels
Start stirring when kernels start popping. Stop turning when handle is difficult to turn.
I've used coconut oil, doesn't do much for me and is rather difficult to clean off the pot.

Seasoning

Flavocol is the secret ingredient for theatre style popcorn.
Use Flavocol - half a teaspoon in the oil before adding kernels and season to taste after popped.

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Medal-2045Ct...ywords=flavacol

Kernels

I find this product is very good if you want a big yellow type corn, same as you would find at the theatre.

https://www.amazon.com/lbs-Gourmet-Poppi...popcorn+kernels

You can also order hulless white popping corn. It is smaller than yellow corn.

Butter

I only use real butter, and melt it in the microwave, the more the better. I suggest pre-melting the butter and letting it cool, as if you put hot butter on the popcorn, the popcorn will "melt" and become chewy.
I use about 1/2 cup butter per 1/2 cup of kernels. I pour out half the popped popcorn into big bowl, half the butter, some flavocol, mix it with my hands, and repeat for the rest of the popped popcorn.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back