NAPA PLATINUM and Fran XP fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't host my pics online. We have 3 BMWs 2 of them use fram #10075. I have used 5 fram xp and now 1 NAPA PLATINUM. All have collapsed and or had the end caps come off. The NAPA was the latest with approximately 5000 km ( 3000 miles). On these vehicles the manufacture recomends 24000 km or 14000 miles. Just a heads up. Really disappointed as I like the idea of the superior filtering.

Originally Posted By: Gixxer8989
I don't host my pics online. We have 3 BMWs 2 of them use fram #10075. I have used 5 fram xp and now 1 NAPA PLATINUM. All have collapsed and or had the end caps come off. The NAPA was the latest with approximately 5000 km ( 3000 miles). On these vehicles the manufacture recomends 24000 km or 14000 miles. Just a heads up. Really disappointed as I like the idea of the superior filtering.

Use nothing but Mahle, Mann or Hengst on European cartridge applications.

Trolling.gif
29.gif

You don't have to host your pics online because BITOG has an uploader now
smile.gif

That said, there have been problems reported with Fram Ultra cartridge filters. The WIx XP/Napa Platinum isn't as popular on here, so there isn;t much long-term info on those.

And I agree with sticking to Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and Purflux on European cartridge filters.

Fram xp. Thanks for the advise good times. Problem was I really like fram XP in other applications, so when they went on sale I bought lots. By the time I found out they didn't work i couldn't return them. I also thought maybe i was somehow installing them incorrectly. I changed the oil in 2 of the cars today. The one with the Platinum, when I unscrewed the cap the oil came out as it could not drain.
I just wanted to save anybody else the worry and hassle.

Get ahold of Jay (Motorking) at Fram, I’m sure he would like to get ahold of the failed one, perhaps he can do something for you on the ones you have (maybe not though).

I would defiantly put a factory filter back in it...

Originally Posted By: Gixxer8989
Fram xp. Thanks for the advise good times. Problem was I really like fram XP in other applications,
You must mean Fram Ultra. There is no "Fram xp". In BMW's, the Fram Ultra comes apart when you pull it out. It's intact while in service, retaining its shape. The BMW cage prevents movement inward. Wire-backing helps too.

Last edited:
2 different Frams? Only one you mentioned is the Fram Ultra XG10075 (Fram #10075 as you say), which I guess you were calling a 'fran xp', or 'Fram xp', depending on what you typed in the title or the first post.
Anyway, the truth is there is a cage inside the cap which keeps a filter from collapsing inward.
51c0GiM1wpL._SX355_.jpg

Yuck
37.gif

Those filters look awful! I've never seen a wire-backed filter buckle like that
crazy2.gif

Thank you for posting those photos
thumbsup2.gif

IMO there's nothing wrong with pleats bending a bit. Ive observed that even with OE filters in some applications with no ill effects.

The filter caps cause a bit of compression on the filter, especially if the torque rating isn't properly adhered to. There's no indication to me that the filter came apart while under compression in the canister. It's more likely to be an artifact of decompression and pulling it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back