High mileage synthetic oils in new engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
At walmart, pennzoil platinum and PP HM are the same price. Also, valvoline synpower and synpower with maxlife are the same price. Valvoline says that you can use their synthetic maxlife oil in a new engine, and it would help prevent high mileage problems before they occur. They also say that their synpower with maxlife is their top-tier oil, with a stronger additive package than regular synpower. It has more detergents/dispersants/antioxidants, more anti-wear/friction modifiers, and seal conditioners. It even contains an ashless anti-wear/friction modifier which is most likely an ester.

Is there any reason not to use PP HM or synpower maxlife in a new engine? For the same price, wouldn't they be an upgrade over their regular synthetic oils?

I used tons of Maxlife blend in the Bonnevile. Works great for me. My work used nothing but Maxlife blend for years in new stuff without issues

This topic has been discussed a lot here; some would say beat to death. You'll find many debates if you search for it. That said, I'm in the camp of using it in new engines and I have had no ill effects. As such, I can't say it has done anything better either. My UOA's are just fine, so I keep using it. (VMLFS) I can say that I've seen Maxlife FS and Maxlife blend help (not eliminate) in older vehicles I've purchased used with weeping seals, however.

I've used Maxlife blend in a '14 Encore that I got two years ago with 50K, it now has 95K. Other than the fact that it no longer meets Dexos 1 gen 2 specs (not much chance of LSPI in the base engine, and I'm out of warranty), I would recommend it highly. I would have no problem with Maxlife Syn in a brand new car or Maxlife blend in a new non GM car.

Added note: 2005 Honda Civic 98,000 leaking oil on driveway kinda bad. Put Pennzoil full synthetic high mileage oil in.. 3 -5 days later no oil for a full oil change time on the driveway. Change oil to Mobil 1 high mileage, leaking started back up in 4 days, but to a lesser degree. Guess who uses more Ester or swelling agents?

I am a maintenance guy at work, we had a low speed gearbox with seal leaks. Seals not available only a rebuilt $7,000-10,000 gearbox. Added more Mobil XP gear oil and some Pennzoil full synthetic high millage oil since it is low speed, About 10%. No more seal leaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csandste
I've used Maxlife blend in a '14 Encore that I got two years ago with 50K, it now has 95K. Other than the fact that it no longer meets Dexos 1 gen 2 specs (not much chance of LSPI in the base engine, and I'm out of warranty), I would recommend it highly. I would have no problem with Maxlife Syn in a brand new car or Maxlife blend in a new non GM car.
True you have to use the full-synhetic MaxLife to get dexos1 Gen2, good point. .... I'd recommend full syn in everything because dexos1 Gen2 is the highest standard in ILSAC oils these days.

The critical main issue here is seal conditioning and what that means. Seal conditioners are plasticizers to keep them flexible, and SN & dexos1 tests ensure they don't swell the seals too much, testing on many possible seal materials, making them suitable for brand new seals as well as old seals.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: csandste
True you have to use the full-synhetic MaxLife to get dexos1 Gen2, good point. .... I'd recommend full syn in everything because dexos1 Gen2 is the highest standard in ILSAC oils these days.

The critical main issue here is seal conditioning and what that means. Seal conditioners are plasticizers to keep them flexible, and SN & dexos1 tests ensure they don't swell the seals too much, testing on many possible seal materials, making them suitable for brand new seals as well as old seals.

+2

Last edited:
I've been using Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic since my truck has had ~4k miles. It has 55k on it now without any problems.
It got an oil change yesterday with more Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
I've been using Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic since my truck has had ~4k miles. It has 55k on it now without any problems.

tomcruise, {BTW, u were great in "American Made" & looking forward to the next Mission Impossible....} That'll work fine. I'm still in the camp that thinks you don't need or really should use a MaxLife before 75k or 5 years though. Doesn't hurt, but really not necessary at all until its older.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
The Pennzoil created sludge and Mobil cleaned it out, Mainia

The motor is very clean. I sent a camera inside the valve cover after buying it at 95,000 miles. Zero varnish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: tomcruise

tomcruise, {BTW, u were great in "American Made" & looking forward to the next Mission Impossible....} That'll work fine. I'm still in the camp that thinks you don't need or really should use a MaxLife before 75k or 5 years though. Doesn't hurt, but really not necessary at all until its older.
If it cost the same, why not? That kinda is the question.

The only reason I started using it was because Walmart was out of regular synpower. I did a UOA and liked the results so I figured I'd just keep on with what works.

I think since it has seal conditioners it should be alright. But if it has seal swellers then I'd only use it if it leaks.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I think since it has seal conditioners it should be alright. But if it has seal swellers then I'd only use it if it leaks.
Many tests are performed to make the SN dexos1 Gen2 certication, which actually do test for and measure seal swell and/or shrinkage within acceptable limits. Swell is not a problem here because of the many tests performed.

Valvoline says that their full synthetic with Maxlife can be used in new engines as well as old. With a bit more cleaning power plus anti wear components and at the same price as their Advanced Synthetic, I would say why not?

In a discreet way, Valvoline is making this oil their top of the line product. Now, what would be the end results versus their regular full synthetic? We may never know.

It would be interesting to see voa's of every manufacturer's regular and high mileage oils side by side to compare add packs,viscosities,etc.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It would be interesting to see voa's of every manufacturer's regular and high mileage oils side by side to compare add packs,viscosities,etc.

The stuff you REALLY need to look at...

doesn't show up in a VOA

"True you have to use the full-synhetic MaxLife to get dexos1 Gen2, good point. .... I'd recommend full syn in everything because dexos1 Gen2 is the highest standard in ILSAC oils these days."

Haven't re-checked but I think Dura-Blend is still Dexos1/2. Odd since I thought they were almost the same except for the conditioners. Since I'm out of warranty and Maxlife is much cheaper than full syn at the oil change place I go to, (live in a condo and changing oil is verboten) I stick with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back