Oil resistant mechanic gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to post this, and I am sure there's a few threads already posted about it, but I couldn't find them.

I'm curious if anyone here has a good pair of mechanic gloves that are oil resistant?

My favorite gloves tend to retain dirt/oil in the fabric, and no amount of soaking in degreaser, pine sol or detergent can seem to clean them up.

Also, any suggestions on good dexterity gloves?

I use harbor freight disposable gloves, either the 9 or 11 ml nitrile.. box of 50 for about 8.00..

easy peasey japaneesy..(credit to brooks)

Originally Posted By: kpatter
I use harbor freight disposable gloves, either the 9 or 11 ml nitrile.. box of 50 for about 8.00..

I like the Hardy disposable gloves.

Just looking for something a bit more robust.

Originally Posted By: kpatter

I agree this is the best plan.

They provide the dexterity you need, which fabric/long lasting gloves do not. They soften with oil exposure and then tear, so then you just put on a clean one. There is the appeal of a non-disposable one lasting and not requiring replacement, but they just don't work as well.

I've been able to about 70% de-oil my Mechanix gloves by soaking them in oxy clean for a day. But I still prefer the HF nitrile gloves.

If such a thing exists, I'd like to see it.

In my mind, mechanics gloves are usually textile because they need to provide padding and abrasion resistance. For this reason they tend to be made of some sort of thread that inevitably soaks up oil and is impossible to clean.

Nitrile gloves are great for chemicals and oils, but offer little padding or abrasion resistance.

Heavy duty chemical gloves would provide resistance to abrasion, oil, and some padding, but would be a dexterity nightmare.

I've also used the gloves that AVB linked to, but on mine the PU coating eventually flaked off after exposure to brake cleaners and abrasion. The underlying nylon then soaked up motor oil and I can't get them to not feel oily when worn.

The ones I linked are $1.15 a pair, I go through around 2 pairs a month depending on what kind of jobs I have. I keep a clean pair for working inside cars, a older pair for engine, suspension and brake work, and a dirtier pair for greasy/oily stuff. At a dollar a pair is no big deal to toss them when they get too dirty and add a new pair to the rotation. I don't work with dirty hands because you end up spreading the mess everywhere.

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
I've seen some textile gloves that are completely covered in coating. The problem with those was the price.

EDIT: These are the ones that I've seen.

http://www.ansell.com/en-US/Products/Ind...s/hyflex-11-939

Ansell gloves are nice but like you said they cost more than I want to pay. They have several different models with different coatings.

The best dexterity is no gloves. That is my biggest struggle at least.

They have the cloth ones for say brake or shock replacement and nitrile for fluid changes. Unless you put nitrile over the mechanics gloves, there is no in between. Pick your poison.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Also, any suggestions on good dexterity gloves?

Sure do, it called skin.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: boom10ful
I've seen some textile gloves that are completely covered in coating. The problem with those was the price.

EDIT: These are the ones that I've seen.

http://www.ansell.com/en-US/Products/Ind...s/hyflex-11-939

Ansell gloves are nice but like you said they cost more than I want to pay. They have several different models with different coatings.

We use the Ansell HyFlex gloves on the assembly line at my GM plant. We use the one with a thin coating just on the palms and fingers and dexterity is incredibly good. The thicker rubber ones that were posted above are awful. Too thick, no dexterity and they get slippery.

http://www.ansell.com/en-US/Products/Industrial-Gloves-and-Sleeves/Industrial-Gloves/hyflex-11-601

Last edited:
I buy nitrile that fit over my mechanix gloves when I'm doing an oily job. That said, I have also degreased mechanix gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back