2017 gdi turbo escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drained factory fill around 3,000 miles. Went to Valvoline synthetic 5w20. I havr 2,000 miles on the oil so far. I am leaving monday on a 4,000 mile round trip from northern Michigan to souther Florida. Do you all think the valvoline synthetic will do well or should I change it out before i leave? Thanks for the help,it seems valvoline synthetic is not popular around here. Thanks everyone

Valvoline is good. I really like their full synthetic maxlife. Your car will be fine no matter if you change the oil or not. I would go ahead and change it, though. Better to have a super clean motor.

Valvoline is a good oil. I personally use Pennzoil.
Some here will disagree with me a call it a waste of money, but I would change it just ahead of that 4k mile trip...with any oil brand. GDI turbo can be hard on oil. You will have 6k miles on that oil by the time you get back, albeit mostly highway miles.
I just would rather be safe with being so far away from home.

Interesting dilemma. I would go right into your regular change interval now. 6000 miles is not excessive. Just my two cents. If you’re worried abut 6,000 miles, drive into the fast lane of a Volkswagen dealer and get it done somewhere along the way. No shame in that.

SF

4,000 miles of highway driving is not hard on oil, don't worry about it until you get back. I own two Eco-Boost vehicles and go 7,500 miles of mixed driving with full synthetic which is still less than the OLM on the vehicles show the oil is ready for a change (and the OLM programming is based on using semi-synthetic).

Why are you using 5w20 oil? The ecoboost engines all specify 5w30 and tend to shear and dilute oil.

Last edited:
Wonder why the rest of them spec 5w30 and not the 1.5? The 2.0, 2.3, 2.7 and 3.5 all use 5w30. Not sure about the 1.0. Does it have the timing belt in the oil or am I thinking of the 1.0?

Last edited:
It’s been cold in Michigan and that likely exacerbated the fuel dilution issues inherent in DI/TGDI engines. So the current fill is probably somewhat compromised and even sustained highway driving won’t return it to its original state. So I’d change it.

Originally Posted By: Danh
It’s been cold in Michigan and that likely exacerbated the fuel dilution issues inherent in DI/TGDI engines. So the current fill is probably somewhat compromised and even sustained highway driving won’t return it to its original state. So I’d change it.

In four hours of freeway driving my money says that problem vanishes!

My vote goes to changing it if it isn't dexos1 Gen2 that was installed the last time you changed the oil. In my view, it's spending a dime to potentially save a dollar down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back