Pepboys Old "New" Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found these gems at my local store. I think it's funny. Do your stores keep old st

ock on the shelves?

My Pep-Boys always has the Purolator cartridges in the old box - made in Germany Mann inside.

I guess I'm the only one buying them... It's been years now and they always seem to have a couple on the shelf.

I've seen this kind of thing happen over the years.
Does anybody know where this NOS comes from? I mean, somebody has warehouses with old stuff and has to get rid of them finally after years of storage.
Its kind of weird really.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The Dupont name disappeared in 2015, so those Fram filters are least 3 years old. When did Fram ditch Double Guard?

SF

More than a decade ago - these were for cashing in on the Slick 50 teflon phenomenon back when that was hot.

What are you saying the DuPont name disappeared on in 2015? The DoubleGuard was the only Fram filter I saw that had any association with DuPont, for the teflon.

The Pep Boys store in Waco, TX is just as bad as that one ^^^

Stuff on the shelves WAAAY over 10 years old... still asking top dollar
06.gif
09.gif
33.gif

In addition to the box appearance, at those prices too not hard to figure out why they are still sitting there.

But on the plus side, at least they did mark down the Fram "Double Guard" oil filter with PTFE treated media from ~$6 to $4.95, what a BARGIAN! That was one of Fram's filters 'great ideas' (not) in an attempt to cash in on the then Slick 50 craze. Something I suspect now they'd rather forget about. Collectors items now perhaps for someone, certainly should never have been installed on an engine.

Haven't been in a b&m PB store in quite some time, but some old OFs at the topic store.

Thanks for the pics.

If they have liberal return policies those filters could have been in someone's dusty garage for 5-20 years.

If I were them I'd fulfill online orders with them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If they have liberal return policies those filters could have been in someone's dusty garage for 5-20 years.

If I were them I'd fulfill online orders with them.
wink.gif

I work at a different parts store and if I always use new old stock items or items with old style packaging in cases of package redesigns for commercial or online pick up in store orders, since retail customers usually pick the new stuff. We still have some Pennzoil conventional from before they changed the shape of the jug last year.

Last edited:
Was at an advance auto yesterday that had tons of old filters. The store also stank like Pinesol. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Wonder why people rather go to WM instead...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Was at an advance auto yesterday that had tons of old filters. The store also stank like Pinesol. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Wonder why people rather go to WM instead...

Yeah that's sad

The old stock thing speaks to return policy (occasionally), liquidation of some distributor's stock and over-ordering.

The Pine-Sol is because someone mopped the floor. An employee over-mixed the cleaner (careless-can't read or comprehend instructions) or someone puked and the schlump sent to clean it wanted to overkill the barf's lingering aroma.

To me PepBoys is a low level toy store. Heaven only knows what their tires are like.
Car radios, ghetto amps, floor mats, key rings....PepBoys has it all.

Oddly enough, as a goof, I went in to one and asked for a CV axle for my '02 Volvo and THEY HAD ONE!
It was a special order someone failed to pick up.
During the search for the part-which I was allowed to participate in-I noticed this dead zone. 'Twas a numberless bin.
They said it was their catch-all limbo. I looked there and found it in its sealed box.
I got a huge discount.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I've seen this kind of thing happen over the years.
Does anybody know where this NOS comes from? I mean, somebody has warehouses with old stuff and has to get rid of them finally after years of storage.
Its kind of weird really.

Its called poor product management! They have control over ever product on the shelf they just don't practice it. Not saying it happens in all stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back