2010 Escape 2.5L under Valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to change the valve cover gasket on our 2010 escape with 158k on it. Vehicle has used MC semi syn 5w20 for the first 120k miles and various 5w20 synthetics since. All intervals between 5-7k miles. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I bet my Mazda looks more of the same

thats good and dependable Duratech!

It looks good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Mostly highway miles?

About 60% highway 40% city. Most trips longer than 20mins in either case. Wife works in the city but we live outside of the "city".

We will probably drive it another 75-100k miles if we can!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I will take a 2.5 any day over this 1.6 and 2.0 Turbo LSPI junk!

The downside is that most Escapes are equipped with the 1.6 or 2.0 which are both noticeably more powerful.
But yes, I concur.

Clean like it came from the factory. You will get a lot of miles out of that engine.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I recently had to change the valve cover gasket on our 2010 escape with 158k on it. Vehicle has used MC semi syn 5w20 for the first 120k miles and various 5w20 synthetics since. All intervals between 5-7k miles. Enjoy!

How long have you owned it and how do you like it? Very high maintenance?

*Very clean engine btw. Quite impressive.

Last edited:
We bought it with 100k on it. It had service records every 5k miles from ford dealers only. Car originated out of florida so it has 0 rust (common problem). We have owned it 2.5 years. We do about 25k a year on this vehicle and 5k a year on my truck as i have a company vehicle.

The escape has been super reliable. Ive replaced the front and rear sway bar lengths with moog parts, spark plugs, air filters. I also had to replace the vapor purge valve and front door speakers, other than that i change the oil with on sale name brand synthetics. Fram or MC filters and every 2nd oil change i drain and refill 5qts of ATF with Maxlife LV. Normal maintenance.

Average mpg is 25.6 since we have owned it. It is FWD XLT Trim. We really like the vehicle. They are great transportation for how much they cost. The 2.5L is not very powerful down low. Its average to decent in the high Rpm and can pass on highways and is powerful enough on the interstates. I believe the 2.5l is rated at 170hp or so.

Last edited:
The escape has been super reliable. Ive replaced the front and rear sway bar lengths with moog parts, spark plugs, air filters. I also had to replace the vapor purge valve and front door speakers, other than that i change the oil with on sale name brand synthetics. Fram or MC filters and every 2nd oil change i drain and refill 5qts of ATF with Maxlife LV. Normal maintenance.
I'd avoid the MC oil filters, as they have a reputation for developing tearing (holes) in them since they are made by Purolator. All other brands are OK, but Fram Ultra is really the best oil filter choice. .... Changing ATF any more than every 50k miles is a big waste with no benefit as its not exposed to combustion like engine oil is.
I believe the 2.5l is rated at 170hp or so.
The 2.5L engine is one of those engines where the HP equals the peak torque (ft-lbs): 171 hp and 171 ft-lbs. My '18 Equinox makes 170 hp from a 1.5L turbo-DI, almost the same power, and the weight of the vehicle is about the same too, but it gets some low-RPM torque which peaks at 203 ft-lbs, so its quicker 0-60 (9 sec vs. 10 sec).
The MPG increment is +4 MPG, both city and highway, when powered by the 1.5T vs. the 2.5L, that being what the high-tech turbo-DI hardware does for you.

I like the 2010 Escape Hybrid the most, a model NYC taxi-cab drivers luv and beat mercilessly.
You can't go wrong with an Escape.
We can still get the reliable 2.5L non-turbo 4 cyl on the 2018 Ford Escape S model, BTW.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I will take a 2.5 any day over this 1.6 and 2.0 Turbo LSPI junk!

The downside is that most Escapes are equipped with the 1.6 or 2.0 which are both noticeably more powerful.
But yes, I concur.

Would you be referring to the first or second generation 2.0 Eco-Boost engines? What well documented issues would you be sourcing to refer to them as "junk"? Have they really been on the market long enough to know what their long term durability is or is this just another fear of new technology response that we see so often on BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back