It just doesn't matter (Sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just kidding, oil does matter, but for a Honda J-Series Engine, it really doesn't matter what you use within reason as long as you change it at 6-7500 miles and take care of the car. I present my 220k under valve cover pics. Looking back at my maintenance log I've used:

Mobil1
5W30
10W30
5W20
0W20

Penz Plat
5W20

Valvoline MaxLife
5W20
5W30

Milesyn SRX5W20 - Current

Oil Filters

Supertech
ST3950
ST3593A

Bosch 3323

STP2808

Purolator
L10193 and PL10193

Wix 51334

And my current Partsmaster 61334

The only oil I did not like was Mobil 'Supersyn' Which I ran 1 time and the car developed a leak. I have no clue why, but I swapped it back out for Penz Platinum and the leak went away.

I had the covers off to do the first valve adjustment the car has seen. All the exhausts were tight and all the intakes were loose as you'd expect, but there was still a bit of play on the exhausts (the ones you'd worry about) so they still probably weren't in danger of doing something they shouldn't have.

Car still runs like a champ and will get 30+mpg on the highway if you drive it like a sane person, granted, these days I just use it for my 12 mile commute.

Take care of your machine and they will take care of you.

Varnish seems high even though you mostly ran synthetics. Do these tend to run really hot?

For 220k that is one clean engine. Sure you have some varnish there but I don’t think that’s abnormal for that kind of miles. Reminds me of my old Mitsu 1.8 that had a steady diet of Castrol GTX every 3k.

That engine should go 400k no worries.

Usually if the oil meets todays specs,,it ok...I have used many brands of oil, and never lost an engine due to poor oil..Did have an engine lock up due to an oil pump failure,,thats it.

I know people with 350 to 400,000 miles on their Hondas and Toyotas using oil change place oil and filters. Most of the sludged up engines are from oil changes being over extended for the operating conditions. Starting temps and maximum oil temps matter.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Varnish seems high even though you mostly ran synthetics. Do these tend to run really hot?

Not really, but the climate here can be, plus I'm at a 7500 miles change interval so I would expect to see about that much varnish on things. No gooey oil under the cover is what I'm looking for and there's none there.

Pre-VCM J's are just not that hard and not that picky on oil.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, just curious is this an Accord or a CRV? And does manual specify 5W20 or 5W30 for it? Also, have you changed filter with every oil change or every other one?

I agree with the original poster's assessment coupled with the superior engineering of Honda's oiling system. We worry too much about oil weight but if we didn't we wouldn't have this excellent forum.

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

SF

As soon as I saw the pictures I knew someone was going to comment about "varnish" I'm somewhat surprised no one has recommended an engine flush yet. OP it looks great, thanks for taking the time to post the pics and history of the oils used.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
As soon as I saw the pictures I knew someone was going to comment about "varnish" I'm somewhat surprised no one has recommended an engine flush yet. OP it looks great, thanks for taking the time to post the pics and history of the oils used.

I'm sure it varies from engine to engine, but I've seen under valve cover pics from GM V8s that ran exclusively on synthetic and there was no varnish to be seen at 200k+.

But yeah the varnish is just cosmetic - the OP did good with the oils used and is reaping the benefits.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks for sharing, just curious is this an Accord or a CRV? And does manual specify 5W20 or 5W30 for it? Also, have you changed filter with every oil change or every other one?

Yep, sorry, I could have listed that.

Its a 2003 Accord, I've owned since new. Manual and cap specify 5W20, and yes, filter gets changed every time.

I've also got a 300k 2000 Accord I4 that is due for an adjustment too, I just have to find the time, but looking through the cap, it looks just about the same as my 03. It gets just about the same regimen as the 03...as a Matter of fact, all 3 of our cars do.

2000 Accord I4
2003 Accord V6
2008 Acura TL Type S

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctechbob
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Yep, sorry, I could have listed that.

Its a 2003 Accord, I've owned since new. Manual and cap specify 5W20, and yes, filter gets changed every time.

I've also got a 300k 2000 Accord I4 that is due for an adjustment too, I just have to find the time, but looking through the cap, it looks just about the same as my 03. It gets just about the same regimen as the 03...as a Matter of fact, all 3 of our cars do.

2000 Accord I4
2003 Accord V6
2008 Acura TL Type S

Thanks, so that's a V6. Now I would have no problem in using any of the oil in my Civics, which also specifies 5W20.

I would love to see some UOA or a report, where manual specifies 5W30 and 5W20 has been used and impact of it too? Thanks for sharing
thumbsup2.gif

Looks good. My escalade under valve cover pics looked just as golden as urs at 165k miles and it’s running smooth like new. Thanks for the pics

With a few exceptions (VCM Pilots for instance) if you use an oil that meets the manufacturers standards, change it according to manufacturers schedule and make sure it actually has some oil in it ... it’ll be totally fine from an oil related standpoint.

In other words: It just don’t matter.

Pretty much, none of this stuff matters in spite of all the BITOG hand wringing and nail biting.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Plenty of varnish but no deposits at all.
Looks good!

And he didn't even use Havoline deposit shield and yet still no deposits!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back