So This is the WiFi Router I Ended Up Getting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
TP-Link Archer C59 Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz 801.11a/b/g/n/ac

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C59.html

Basically one product tier below their C7. Paid $43.49 free shipping. Approximately 1/2 the price of a C7. C7 is awesome, but this is all I need for awhile.

Specs:

- 775Mhz processor w/ 16mb cache ram (Atheros chipset)
- 128mb ram onboard
- USB 2.0 port for ext hard drive
- 10/100Mbps ethernet (Not concerned about 100 instead of 1000)
- 450 Mbps (2.4ghz) / 867Mbps (5Ghz)

Hopefully arrives sometime next week. Finally be able to retire the venerable Cisco/Linksys wrt120n after 9 yrs of reliable service. Mainly wanted 5Ghz dual band and a USB port.

Those are pretty good routers. I upgraded from a Archer C5 to a Archer C2300. I really like TPLink's routers never had issues with any of them.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS (wireless-G, 2.4 GHz). Probably about 8-10 yrs old.

What would be the advantages in switching to something like you just got?

Thanks.

If your linksys is still running fine probably none. Mine got flaky and had to be rebooted many time a week until i tossed it.

It depends on how much performance you need. If your internet service is faster than about 20 Mbps, the WRT54 will be a bottleneck.

I have had the same Windstream router for about 5-7 years now,,, since I dumped TW/spectrum. It is probably an el cheapo.. but so far it has worked so I plan on leaving it be.If it ain't broke I am not going to fix it or replace. Sometimes when the our 2 sons visit and they connect to our wifi and run their tablets, phones and laptops it gets a bit slow but that is temporary and we can live with it. If it ever fails might consider buying one though.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Thanks.

Having the 5Ghz band available gives you an escape route from cross talk interference on the 2.4Ghz band if your neighborhood is crowded on 2.4Ghz. As soon as it arrives I'm going to start running my wifi network on the 5Ghz band.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Thanks.

Having the 5Ghz band available gives you an escape route from cross talk interference on the 2.4Ghz band if your neighborhood is crowded on 2.4Ghz. As soon as it arrives I'm going to start running my wifi network on the 5Ghz band.

In addition, odds are pretty good that Linksys doesn't actively support that model any more, so there maybe unpatched security vulnerabilities floating around.

Edit: Forgot to say, nice choice on the new router! Looks like a very good deal. There always seems to be a decent price drop when going down from the top of the line flagship model, but without a commensurate performance drop.

Thanks.

Depends how many active users, range, and over all performance.

Although 5ghz signal doesn't travel as far as 2.4ghz it will give you much more performance. On my 2.4ghz i get around 68-78 Mbps. On the 5ghz I'ts 110Mbps everytime.

For the home this will meet your needs.

All devices do not support the 5ghz band, so you will want to setup two networks, and join the 5ghz band if you can with each of your devices.

Some of my older stuff, and non speed dependent stuff I put on the 2.4ghz band (thermostat, etc).

I would not buy this one because it lacks gigabit ethernet connections, but you may not need it unless you are doing big traffic over the wired network (many people are not).

Not a bad device for $50 bucks at all. Especially if it has the non-broadcom chipset it may be able to do the open source firmwares.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Especially if it has the non-broadcom chipset it may be able to do the open source firmwares.

Qualcomm Atheros, QCA9561 to be exact.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30

Thanks.

Depends how many active users, range, and over all performance.

Although 5ghz signal doesn't travel as far as 2.4ghz it will give you much more performance. On my 2.4ghz i get around 68-78 Mbps. On the 5ghz I'ts 110Mbps everytime.

^^ That ^^

5ghz on our Archer C7 gives us (depending on time of day etc) up to a max of 113 Mbps on our 100mbps service.
2.5ghz gives us a bit less then half that number down max 44 mbps.

Not that you would notice much with basic computing, we just love the speed and insignificant latency, sometimes as low as 14 or so, never ever over 40.

Ive never been so happy with our internet service and set up as I am now. Put a lot of thought into it, placement of router, cables, noise filters, surge suppressor/filters and a UPS so if there is a power loss, we still have internet and phones, simply use our laptops and of course ipad and cell phones.
Thing is, we dont lose power much and only think of one time when we did for a short period of time, got all excited that we could still be on the net. *L*

Last edited:
That c59 looks exactly like the C7, most likely just dumbed down a tiny bit, nice deal.

IF your comfortable you can check to make sure it has the latest firmware.
I updated mine as some point last year, I updated it, "just because" it was there on their site and felt like doing it because ... it was there. *L*
Not the most simple firmware update I ever did, meaning I actually had to follow instructions.

AS you know, Im very happy with TP link equipment. (router and a modem)

We werent happy with a USB TP link AC wifi adapter for one of my wifes desktops, buggy, returned it, bought some noname thing on ebay works perfect. (sofar) Comments on online reviews revealed the same bugs on this one item.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Especially if it has the non-broadcom chipset it may be able to do the open source firmwares.

I am not seeing any third party firmware support for C59. Not that OP asked for it.

In general though, Broadcom chipsets have better open source support than Atheros, IME.

UPDATE:

It arrived today. Nice router for the money. Best speed is to my 802.11ac phone on 5Ghz hit 292 Mbps tonight, but the router is in a/n/ac mixed mode which may have it running slower than capacity. a/n/ac mixed mode for 5Ghz is necessary on account of my laptop is old and supports only 802.11n on 5Ghz band. If I could let it rip in ac only mode, no doubt it would hit it's advertised 867 Mbps.

Absolutely a steal at $43 shipped.

do you have two level house and can it handle from one corner of the house on 1st floor to the other corner on the 2nd floor?

Real happy with my refurbished TP-Link AC1750 (Archer CR700) as well. No dead spots in 3 levels of my 2800 sq/ft home. I gave Spectrum the MAC# when I turned in TWCs equipment. It was plug-n-play.

what? $150 for refurbished wireless router? I thought those things as a rule costs $19.99 or worse $39.99 for the top of the line. May be I have not shopped for one in a long time?

I think the AC1750 / Archer CR700 retails for $130, I paid ~$60 shipped for mine. It was in OEM shrink wrapped packaging. No signs of being refurbed even though is sold as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back