Potholes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man oh man, they're everywhere! Be it highway on ramps, off ramps, shopping plaza entrances, exits, parking lots, you name it. I hit a few bad ones last night since they were covered with puddles from melting snow.

I'm ready for summer!

Chances are, if it was a significant hit, guaranteed the rear out of sight rim flange is bent, and check for sidewall bulges on the out of sight backside. Also, never be on the brakes through a pothole.

By me, folks see potholes & bumps in the road, what do they do, cross over the yellow line head-on into the opposite traffic lane hoping that the cars coming the other way will move over to the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision.

Nothing anyone can do about if if you experience winter freeze/thaw cycles over winter.

They can't properly fix them until warm weather returns, it takes crews time, and if they fix *every single one* in a given stretch of road, they'd never make it to the streets you travel, probably. So they select the worst offenders and move on.

The "winter" pothole mix isn't permanent and has to be replaced or supplemented with a proper mix during consistent above-freezing weather, and note that we mean the pavement temperature, not the air temperature alone.

It's an annoyance for sure but you just need to keep your eyes on the road and know where the corners of the vehicle is. You're going to hit some, eyes need to be downroad for proper driving, so it's just part of life.

Here you can post online the locations of potholes you want looked at and hopefully filled, and they do follow up. If that's not part of your city or rural government's programs, my best advice is to lobby for it. It's not going to solve the problem ... there is no full solution beyond what was outlined above, but it might make your commute easier. That's what an ordinary citizen can do about it.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
By me, folks see potholes & bumps in the road, what do they do, cross over the yellow line head-on into the opposite traffic lane hoping that the cars coming the other way will move over to the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision.

My father cured me of my (very common habit of new drivers) tendency of driving too close to parked cars, by pointing out that "those guys can get out of the way" (referring to oncoming cars). Of course the idea wasn't to cross the centre line, but it did cure me of that habit.

Having had the perfect combination of a couple of decent snowfalls following warmer temps which were then followed with below 0F temps and then well above freezing temps, we're seeing potholes everywhere here, even in concrete.
Given that we have another five or six weeks of potentially bad winter weather, they may only grow worse.
All you can do is try to straddle those that you can and brake before hitting those you can't avoid.

They annoy me, especially what taxes are in this area, but they do an OK job at keeping the roads smooth. Better than back where I used to live in NW Indiana. My vehicles seem to not be effected too much by pot holes, never had one cause any damage that I know of.

We don't have any potholes down here in South FL. The roads are flat, smooth, and clean as well as salt, sand, and gravel free. I spent my last 2 years in the USAF at the Pentagon. Between the traffic, road conditions, and the aggressive attitude of most of the people, there is nothing that could get me to move back up to the nightmare of winter driving in the Northern tier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MedicalDoc
Try Boston. It's cheap and has very calm, understanding people.

Now THAT is really funny!! I lived in that region and did a couple of years of high school there. They have winter (or should I say "Snowflakes") there year around.

Last edited:
Yup even our potholes have potholes.
They keep raising fees/taxes to maintain the roads but it seems they can't keep up.
Some even come up on Waze "Watch out... pothole ahead".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back