7.3 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing the oil in the 7.3 today, I usually get the CJ-4 motorcraft from wal mart with the new ford spec, I dont want to use CK4 in this truck. I stopped at Napa they had 3 jugs of CJ4 Valvoline 15W40, and the guy brought a jug out the back of Valvoline 15W40 CK4. I bought it figuring i'd try to find a jug of CJ4, I remembered I have a jug of Valvoline 15W40 CJ-4 in the shed thats about 10 years old, sealed and unopened. Will it be ok to use this oil? The shed is not climate controlled the oils been sitting next to a metal wall, would the constant heat from the summer/cold winter have an effect on the additive package? Or would shaking up the jug real good before use suffice?

Let it warm up and shake it. It will be fine.

I have a small stash of synthetic 5W40 CJ-4 for my Powerstroke. But I believe the newest Rotella T6 5W40 meets the Ford spec, but have not verified.

I used to own a 2002 F350 4x4 with the good ole 7.3, great motor great truck. If the rust issues had not got to the point of re-occurring, I would still have the truck. Still miss the truck. I now have a 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 with the Cummins, also a great truck.

I remember how easy the oil and oil filter changes were in the 7.3 and buying 3 jugs of the MC 15w40 Oil and MC Oil Filter at WM for a decent price.

I think Donald is right, the new Rotella T-6 should be fine. You can always contact Ford or Shell for verification. The Rotella T6 is a good oil, my Ram likes it.

Last edited:
Why do you have a problem with CK4? I have a little over 2000 miles on the new CK4 T6 in my 7.3 and not a problem one. The "new" Ford spec is only concerning the Scorpion 6.7 engine, not the 7.3 as Ford no longer gives two cents about our old trucks. CK4 supersedes all previous diesel categories and can be used with confidence in the 7.3 and all prior diesels that came long before the 6.7 was born.

As far as the sealed oil in your shed, it's perfectly fine to use. But, if you're that worried about it, it would make great mower oil!

The 7.3 is a Navistar engine, not a Ford engine. Navistar never raised any issues about the CK-4. So why be stuck on what Ford says?

Originally Posted By: NH73
The 7.3 is a Navistar engine, not a Ford engine. Navistar never raised any issues about the CK-4. So why be stuck on what Ford says?

Good point. In my earlier post, I meant to add the 7.3 was built for Ford by Navistar aka: International. Who ever owns a Ford Truck with the 7.3 has a good solid motor, in my opinion the 7.3 was the best Diesel put in the Ford Trucks.

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle

Good point. In my earlier post, I meant to add the 7.3 was built for Ford by Navistar aka: International. Who ever owns a Ford Truck with the 7.3 has a good solid motor, in my opinion the 7.3 was the best Diesel put in the Ford Trucks.
The 7.3 engine was also manufactured under the Navistar name to use in Navistar vehicles and it was called the Navistar T444E engine. The engine is fully a Navistar engine that was engineered and designed by Navistar.

I like and use Chevron Delo 10w30 CJ-4 and CK-4 in my 7.3, especially in the winter. It gives good cold weather starts even if it is not plugged in.

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle

Agreed.

Also, because of Ford's issue with the CK-4 rating, I assume that the Motorcraft diesel oil supplied to dealers is still CJ-4? Maybe the Motorcraft diesel oil sold at walmart carries the same spec?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
... Also, because of Ford's issue with the CK-4 rating, I assume that the Motorcraft diesel oil supplied to dealers is still CJ-4?

Bad assumption.

Ford's (very confusing, nearly schizophrenic) position is that ANY CJ-4 is OK.
ONLY CK-4's with min 1000ppm phos are OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
... Also, because of Ford's issue with the CK-4 rating, I assume that the Motorcraft diesel oil supplied to dealers is still CJ-4?
Bad assumption.
What API specification is it? Ford does not list it on the bottle nor on any PDS that I have found. Who knows what it is...

I will stick with my CJ-4 oil until I hit 150K and then all bets are off.

hMVLYQ.jpg

VUnKyn.jpg

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10148&resultsUrl=%2FDirectory%2FEolcsResults%3FaccountId%3D-1%26brandName%3Dmotorcraft%26viscosities%3D15W-40

Obviously, depending upon when the bottle you have in the photos was produced, it may or may not be "CJ-4" vintage.

But my point, if you see the link above, is that the some CURRENT Ford approved licensed MC oils are indeed CK-4 licensed. The EOLCS shows both CJ-4 and also CK-4 lubes. Those licenses are current for the five products of HDEO Ford has submitted and were API approved. That does not mean Ford is still purchasing the CJ-4 product for aftermarket sale, or even factory fill; it only means the license has not expired for those older-spec specific products.

To simplify Ford's very contorted statements over the last year, I can boil it down this way:

1) ANY CJ-4 is OK to use in a Ford diesel
2) ANY CK-4 is OK to use, as long as it meets Ford's spec which requires phos >1000pppm (there are many products to choose from that both meet Ford's spec and are also CK-4 licensed; see the Motorcraft fluids link: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf) If you look closely at the list, there are many 10w-30 and 15w-40 products on Ford's approved list that have "CK-4" right in their product name! So to believe that Ford does not approve some CK-4 products is totally wrong; hence my statement to jeepman about a "bad assumption".

So depending on where/when you got the bottles, it may have been an "older but still current" CJ-4 or a "newer and still current" CK-4. It is an incorrect assumption to make that all Ford products are CJ-4; that is totally wrong. There is no doubt that Ford offers licensed CK-4 diesel products. Whether that's what in your bottle I cannot tell you; it would depend upon what time period it was produced.

The overall view would be thus:
Any CJ-4 is going to be OK for use in a Ford diesel.
Any CK-4 that is also on Ford's licensed list is going to be OK in a PowerStroke.
Any CK-4 that is not on Ford's licensed list is not approved by Ford for use in their diesels.

So if you have a jug of MC branded lube, it may be "CJ-4" or "CK-4". This is a marketing strategy by Ford. They don't put the API rating on the bottle, but they prominently post their "Meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1" right there for you to see. That makes folks who are "unsure" about what to use, feel assured by using the MC brand. But that does NOT mean that only the MC brand is approved by Ford, or even that it's "only" CJ-4.

I will be curious, as a side note, to see the spec on the "new" F150 v-6 3.0L diesel lube application ... as the engine's origin was European, will it have a "newer" Euro spec, or an API one? Will be interesting to see where it plays out.

Last edited:
Obviously, depending upon when the bottle you have in the photos was produced, it may or may not be "CJ-4" vintage.
This is the "brand new" bottle circa late 2017 so it **should** be CK-4.

It is an incorrect assumption to make that all Ford products are CJ-4; that is totally wrong. There is no doubt that Ford offers licensed CK-4 diesel products. Whether that's what in your bottle I cannot tell you; it would depend upon what time period it was produced.
I never assumed that.

So if you have a jug of MC branded lube, it may be "CJ-4" or "CK-4". This is a marketing strategy by Ford. They don't put the API rating on the bottle, but they prominently post their "Meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1" right there for you to see. That makes folks who are "unsure" about what to use, feel assured by using the MC brand. But that does NOT mean that only the MC brand is approved by Ford, or even that it's "only" CJ-4.
Prior to them stepping into the CK-4 mess they have created, they previously listed the API specification on ALL of their oils. Most of the oils they have on the approved list are as available as unicorn tears for most of the population. Except for Shell Rotella, but I have never seen meets Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1 on any of their bottles nor on any PDS despite being on the Ford approved list.

I have enough CJ-4 to carry me well into 2019 (I snag a bottle of Delo every time I am in my local WM to keep my stash full), so I am not hand-wringing over Ford's idiotic viewpoints on CK-4. Once I go past my warranty, things should be calmed down, more majors will be on the list, and time will have proven that CK-4 is not the evil that Ford projects it to be.

Ford's (very confusing, nearly schizophrenic) position is that ANY CJ-4 is OK.
ONLY CK-4's with min 1000ppm phos are OK.

Yes, ironic, isn't it? Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 CJ-4 has low phosphorus, and is okay to the point that it's on Ford's previous E list, not to mention that it's also CJ-4.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It is an incorrect assumption to make that all Ford products are CJ-4; that is totally wrong. There is no doubt that Ford offers licensed CK-4 diesel products. Whether that's what in your bottle I cannot tell you; it would depend upon what time period it was produced.
I never assumed that

Sorry - I was answering jeepman and you at the same time. My apologies because that wasn't really directed at you. I threw a blanket answer out there and caught you in my haste! It was your picture but it was he I was referring to. I got too sloppy in my answer. My bad.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I never assumed that

Sorry - I was answering jeepman and you at the same time. My apologies because that wasn't really directed at you. I threw a blanket answer out there and caught you in my haste! It was your picture but it was he I was referring to. I got too sloppy in my answer. My bad.

Sorry what I typed doesn't really make sense now that I read it. I guess my confusion was assuming that Motorcraft (Ford) diesel oils would theoretically all be CJ-4 and approved for use in PowerStroke trucks. I would think that at least the dealer oils would be to cover themselves warranty-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back