Cleaning EGR and PCV Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wanted to ask a question about cleaning EGR valve and/or PCV valve for my 2006 Civic EX with AT and 198K.

Question is, should I clean EGR and/or PCV valves? Just as a maintenance item.

I don't have any CEL or anything on the dash or wait until something shows up and then clean it? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I use a little Berryman's B-12 spray down my PCV occasionally. (every 15-20K or so?)
(from the "top down" - - On the F150 4.6, removing it destroys it)

I think it is the original one (154,00 miles)

Why would you clean it? You can likely get a new one for $4 to $8 dollars that will last you 30K or more miles and not be maybe fixed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I use a little Berryman's B-12 spray down my PCV occasionally. (every 15-20K or so?)
(from the "top down" - - On the F150 4.6, removing it destroys it)

I think it is the original one (154,00 miles)

So you just remove the rubber hose and spray it from top of the valve and will drip inside the engine, would it have any impact?

In some Hondas, cleaning EGR passages is more important than cleaning EGR valve. In some Honda V6 engines, cleaning EGR passages is a good maintenance item. Your mileage may vary. At somewhere above 100 thousand miles can prevent incorrect EGR flow problems.

I'd just buy a PCV. Very cheap.

I'd clean the EGR. Very expensive. Scotty Kilmer just had a YouTUbe on that exact subject.

+1 on the EGR passage cleaning.
I've had a clean EGR valve but a clogged passage. Seems downstream of the valve, closer to the intake, black, oily stuff condenses out of the exhaust stream and starts reducing the diameter of the passage.

I've cleaned EGR plumbing on engines prone to EGR passage plugging, by using O2 sensor and catalytic converter safe intake/carb cleaner and spraying it in there with the EGR valve removed and the vehicle idling. Smoke billows out the exhaust, but it gets the job done. Same with the vac side of PCV systems.

You likely accomplished nothing. Cleaning a five dollar part and you could have easily checked for proper EGR flow without taking anything apart.

Last edited:
Oh well, I spent some time with the car and at least not worried it'll fail because of no maintenance.

Worst case, I'll replace them if any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back