What does it take to test drive a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RANT:
I am currently trying to narrow down the field of possible vehicles to purchase. One possibility is Charger SRT. For the longest time, none of the local Dodge dealerships had any in stock. Now, one finally has one. So I want to come in for a test drive to determine if it's even something that I should continue taking into consideration.

The dealer tells me "the only way to pull it out to test drive it is to get a credit application showing that you are a qualified buyer and we need to have already agreed to numbers, terms, and conditions showing that you are going to purchase the vehicle pending an adequate test drive."

Are you kidding me? I realize they want to filter out joy riders, but this does me no good. There is no way I am going to talk numbers or fill out any applications until I first determine that I like the car.

Is this normal?

If that's the case, then I guess I have to cross this SRT off my list.

Likely the results of many tire kickers wasting their time. If they had one in their demo fleet it might be easier but to pull a new one out and add miles to it requires time and effort.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this practice on a higher end model. Ford did the same thing with the Raptor if I recall when it first came out. Actually, I had a similar experience when I went to text drive a BMW X3. It wasn't even new. It was a used model at a Chevy dealership. I went in asking to test drive it and they refused until the numbers and credit app were taken care of. 1. I wasn't going to apply for credit through GM. 2. They wouldn't even give me the asking price on the vehicle. I turned around and walked out, went about 5 miles down the street and bought a vehicle from the Toyota dealership.

Last edited:
Tell them to get bent, and find another dealer. It's not a Bugatti. They made more than a few SRTs.

Edit: a suit to drive a Dodge? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Tell them to get bent, and find another dealer. It's not a Bugatti. They made more than a few SRTs. Edit: a suit to drive a Dodge? I don't think so.
Maybe they are reducing production of SRT models. Moving more exclusive with 'em.
A suit might be too much. At least a shirt with no mustard stains on the front. (Means I can't ever test drive an SRT I guess....)
19.gif
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
... but this does me no good. There is no way I am going to talk numbers or fill out any applications until I first determine that I like the car.

Is this normal?

Agreed, and completely ridiculous IMO. I don't know if it's normal or not. Maybe normal for this dealer?

Guess they figure if you want it badly enough you'll agree to almost anything including closing a deal before a test drive.

I'd walk and look elsewhere and/or for a different vehicle. I'm thinking lots of other nice vehicles in that price range and dealers that don't make whacked demands for a 'test drive'.

RANT:
I am currently trying to narrow down the field of possible vehicles to purchase. One possibility is Charger SRT. For the longest time, none of the local Dodge dealerships had any in stock. Now, one finally has one. So I want to come in for a test drive to determine if it's even something that I should continue taking into consideration.

The dealer tells me "the only way to pull it out to test drive it is to get a credit application showing that you are a qualified buyer and we need to have already agreed to numbers, terms, and conditions showing that you are going to purchase the vehicle pending an adequate test drive."

Are you kidding me? I realize they want to filter out joy riders, but this does me no good. There is no way I am going to talk numbers or fill out any applications until I first determine that I like the car.

Is this normal?

Find another dealership.

A family friend is a millionaire and test drives AMG Benz in 'normal' clothes.

Maybe salesmen saw him drive up in a 911T.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Would you want to purchase a factory hot rod that's been test driven hard?

I don't see much problem with it. The one in question already has 37 miles on it, so other people must have test driven it.

I guess I need to find a used one. They should be more willing to let me test drive that. But there aren't any used SRTs near me. I see one used R/T Scat Pack...

RANT:

Is this normal?

You just have to play the game. They don't want to put unnecessary miles on the car. Not a big deal to fill out a credit app. But it'd be even easier to just say you're going to pay cash, no need for a credit app in that case. You can test drive it and then just say you want to sleep on it afterwards. The sellers can make whatever rules they want. If they're too crazy, then there's no sale.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You just have to play the game. They don't want to put unnecessary miles on the car. Not a big deal to fill out a credit app. But it'd be even easier to just say you're going to pay cash, no need for a credit app in that case. You can test drive it and then just say you want to sleep on it afterwards. The sellers can make whatever rules they want. If they're too crazy, then there's no sale.

Then we will need to see a bank statement, so bring that with you as well.

It sounds familiar, we did that back in the day when people came in to test drive the Civic SI thanks to the movie Fast and Furious, IIRC. It [censored] a lot of people off, and also eliminated tire kickers and unqualified buyers wasting our time. As a salesman I took a lot of heat. I simply replied I don't make the rules I follow them, if you have a complaint take it up with management, maybe they'll bend the rules for you. We probably lost a deal or two, but other dealerships had a similar policy.

If you really want a test drive one you might have to bite the bullet and fill out a credit application, or go to a lot of dealerships. Maybe someone else has a different policy.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
, or go to a lot of dealerships. Maybe someone else has a different policy.

The problem is that nobody else has one in stock within a 100+ mile range.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Then we will need to see a bank statement, so bring that with you as well.

It's not even that.
I would most likely be paying cash, but I don't want to let the dealer know this up front because then they may be less flexible on the price.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Pretty normal for a boutique car. Surprised they will let you test drive it at all honestly.

Yeah. Completely agree. Boutique/rare cars are totally different than run of the mill

When I pulled up to various truck dealers in the S-class, they were all aggressively pushing the test drive. Trucks are
common, and they had done their “credit check” by eyeballing my ride. I asked about taking one of the rare Mustangs (Shelby, Cobra, something or other) and was told “absolutely not”. Interesting contrast.

Surprised Charger SRT's are that rare; Quattro Pete only found one in stock
Its not like its a Demon or Hellcat. Those would be the true unicorn to find.
The Charger SRT has been out forever, and Chrysler sales have been down lately. There is something we're missing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back