'09 Honda Civic Manual Trans fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I bought a 2009 honda civic, 5 speed with 116k miles.
It's a little "notchy" going into gear, and I'm hoping/assuming, it needs a fluid change.
What do some of you guys recommend?

My friend told me honda fluid should be good, just looking for other opinions

I put the Honda brand MT fluid in my Miata and it shifted beautifully. That stuff is really thin, but for street use should be fine for durability.

Buy the Honda stuff. It's good stuff. In my Nissan MT, the oil viscosity is so niche, that I can just buy it there but it's really good as well.

Last edited:
Thanks folks, I really appreciate the responses, thats why I love this place. Any idea how much these take?

Mine AT's, take about 2.5ish quarts of Honda ATF and love it
smile.gif

I had the Honda oem in there and then switched to Amsoil synchromesh 5w30 back in Minneapolis and in the really cold weather it seemed to shift a bit better.

When we had a couple of stick Accords, I used Honda MTF. They took just over two quarts, so they got two. Seemed to shift pretty well and not at all notchy.
I've also heard good things about both GM and Pennzoil MT lubes but never tried either.
Even Red Line or Amsoil would be worth the money since you're only talking about a couple of quarts.
Now, back in the day, I used 10W-40 in our Civics and those were truly great shifting cars, although the shifters were both vague and stiff on very cold mornings until everything got a little warmed up.

Here is the contrary one...

My experience with Honda MTF in my Honda was it got notchy really quick. I could feel too much through the stick when I shifted. I switched to Amsoil and it lasted bout 25K. The Amsoil got notchy only when it got cold. I switched to Redline and it lasted, well, it was still going strong at 55k.

The Redline gave me the smoothest shifts. They almost felt cushiony and I really liked that. Caveat, my Honda was a 1989 Prelude....

My advice is to try the new Honda fluid but be aware other ones may really work better. There will be so much difference among the various MTF's. I think Molakule has some viscosity charts comparing all the MTF's somewhere on this forum. He'd be a great guy to PM.

Many people are using the synchromesh type fluids in Hondas, specifically the AC Delco Friction Modified Synchromesh. Read the reviews. I have it in my Corolla (totally wrong viscosity), it went from almost needing a rebuild from a notchy 3rd gear syncro, to shifting like brand new. It's the best manual transmission fluid out there IMHO, especialy now that most vehicles call for thinner fluids. Mine specs 75w-90 which is 15 cst at 100c, the synchromesh is 9 cst. Works awesome, has been for 40,000 miles and no failures to speak of going to such a thin fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4014-F...iction+modified

This is "The Fix" for Honda/Acura manual transmissions!
October 27, 2016
Verified Purchase
I will admit I was more than a bit skeptical, but now I'm a True Believer!

I had a 2009 Honda Accord (4 cyl., 5-speed transmission) with a "notchy" 2-3 shift that the dealer couldn't fix. However, I didn't worry about it too much, as it was a "lease" car. When the lease was over I bought another Accord (6 cyl., 6-speed), and I was quite surprised to find that I had the same issue! In an effort to fix the issue (this car I'm going to keep), I visited several dealers, one of which told me that they would have to install a new transmission- but at my cost and not under warranty!

After perusing the Honda forums on the "interwebs" I learned this a common issue with Honda transmissions, and that the fix is to replace the OEM fluid with this GM fluid. So, after my warranty expired, one of the first things I did was change-out the fluid, and.....

What a difference! The "notch" in the 2-3 shift is GONE!

So far I have over 2K miles with this fluid, and the transmission hasn't "stumbled" once!

HIGHLY recommended for Honda/Acura vehicles with manual transmissions!

Last edited:
I have had 3 Honda cars with manual transmissions.
My 2001civic which I ran till 300,000 miles ran on Honda fluid for the first change and then switched to Redline MTL. Very noticeable difference and and never got rough shifting again. Really impressed with the MTL.
My 2006 RSX I had the same experience with. With the Honda fluid it would get notchy after a few thousand miles also. Again I switched to Redline MTL and had the same great experience. Only ran that car till 200,000 and wish I still had it.
My current car is a 2009 Civic .I dumped the factory fill a 25,000 miles and changed things up and put in Amsoil Synchromesh fluid. I have been very impressed with this. I'm running my second fill 130,000 miles later. Car shift great and easily even in winter.
Conclusion- I will never go back to Honda fluid. I really like Redline and Amsoil and would be comfortable using either one from here on out.
I'm sure the honda fluid is good fluid there is just better out there.

I need to look into the Redline and Amsoil MTF for use on my 21015 Si. I've always used the Honda MTF with good results.

w
Originally Posted By: bruckus
I have had 3 Honda cars with manual transmissions.
My 2001civic which I ran till 300,000 miles ran on Honda fluid for the first change and then switched to Redline MTL. Very noticeable difference and and never got rough shifting again. Really impressed with the MTL.
My 2006 RSX I had the same experience with. With the Honda fluid it would get notchy after a few thousand miles also. Again I switched to Redline MTL and had the same great experience. Only ran that car till 200,000 and wish I still had it.
My current car is a 2009 Civic .I dumped the factory fill a 25,000 miles and changed things up and put in Amsoil Synchromesh fluid. I have been very impressed with this. I'm running my second fill 130,000 miles later. Car shift great and easily even in winter.
Conclusion- I will never go back to Honda fluid. I really like Redline and Amsoil and would be comfortable using either one from here on out.
I'm sure the honda fluid is good fluid there is just better out there.

Originally Posted By: Richie
I need to look into the Redline and Amsoil MTF for use on my 21015 Si. I've always used the Honda MTF with good results.

Get the AC Delco Friction Modified MTF. Honda has a tsb out on the Accord V6 manuals to use it when owner's experience grinding going into 3rd gear. Just make sure it's the FM or Friction Modified version since there's a regular AC Delco MTF that won't be as good.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
The Delco fluid is the same as Pennzoil Syncromesh MTF. Pennzoil makes it for them.

Not the Friction Modified version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back