Getting oil sample when not changing out the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I've always taken my oil sample in the middle of an oil drain when I'm changing the oil. However, I would like to take a sample of oil now without draining it all out.

Is it acceptable to thoroughly clean the oil drain plug area and then loosen the plug enough so that oil is running out and fill my sample bottle that way?

I do not have a pump that I can pump oil out of the dip stick tube and would run the engine a few minutes before getting the sample.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Normally I've always taken my oil sample in the middle of an oil drain when I'm changing the oil. However, I would like to take a sample of oil now without draining it all out.

Is it acceptable to thoroughly clean the oil drain plug area and then loosen the plug enough so that oil is running out and fill my sample bottle that way?

I do not have a pump that I can pump oil out of the dip stick tube and would run the engine a few minutes before getting the sample.

You can get a Wix pump at Napa or on line. Got one off my wish list for Christmas haven't used it yet. Think it was on Amazon for $42.

I have a hand held sampling pump but in retrospect should have gotten a one handed brake bleeder vacuum pump instead.

Can use that for other things more comfortably eg brake bleeding, drain and fills of power steering reservoir, brake fluid reservoir etc.

You want the type where the tube is removable and doesn't touch anything ie just like the oil sampling pump.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Another reason to have a Fumoto.

You still have to dump half the sump to get a good sample. It is recommended a sample be drawn after about half the sump has been drained. So if you're using a Fumoto valve to capture a sample w/o changing the oil you'd still have to dump half the sump to get a "good" sample. IMO you'd be better off sucking out the dipstick tube if you didn't plan on changing the oil.

If I had a pump or means of getting the sample from the dipstick I would have already done so.

Anyone else have a technique for getting a sample from either the filter or oil drain plug when not changing the oil?

I've used a small clear vinyl hose snaked down the dipstick tube and siphoned oil out that way. Takes quite a while as it's such a small tube but works great.

Run it for a while so all the oil gets mixed up and loosen the drain plug enough for it to seep into your container.
Tell the sample analysis guys what you did and it'll be fine

...Or just clean your catch pan well....open the drain plug...sample at whatever point you desire....run the plug back in...use a clean funnel and reuse the oil.

Let it all empty. There's no need to "Little Dutch Boy" the flowing oil.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Run it for a while so all the oil gets mixed up and loosen the drain plug enough for it to seep into your container.
Tell the sample analysis guys what you did and it'll be fine

I did it this way and it seemed top work pretty well. I did get the little Dutch Boy effect.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back