Dark 5 youtube channel - interesting failed nukes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoking palm trees at 4:48 ... cool. So a little story about a test team at the company I work for. They were somewhere in Nevada doing a remote test for the company, and a military nuclear test occurred up wind from them. The team was supposed to have been given notice to evacuate the area before the test occurred, but there were not notified and all were exposed to radiation. Years later they all developed some kind of cancer and passed away.

Monkeys shouldn't be playing with nuclear devices.
eek.gif

Interesting subject.

The details on Castle Bravo and why the yield was unexpectedly high is an interesting story. If I remember correctly, there was some stuff they thought wouldn't be involved in the reaction, but due to the nuclear reaction of the explosion (nuclear synthesis?), it got converted to "fuel" and gave them more bang than they expected.

Tsar Bomba was a big, big Russian nuke.

The US almost nuked North Carolina in 1961.

There's some amazing stories involving nuclear power and bombs.

Operation Upshot Knothole also is known for the radiation effects on the cast and crew of the movie The Conqueror, starring John Wayne and Susan Hayward. A significant portion of those people developed cancer and died as a result.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_(film)

Has any one ever wondered if the spike in cancers is from the Nuke tests?

Originally Posted By: CT8

It’s very hard to be specific on that but my recollection is that thyroid issues could be claimed as caused by radiation. The downwinders are one example in the PNW, due to Hanford.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Back in the '90s, I read a few papers on the possibility of plutonium particles landing on tobacco crops and being ingested through smoke, lodging deep in tissues, and it's off to the races from there. Similarly the premise was that a plutonium particle could lodge in a skin pore or similar.

There was enough airborne plutonium to give everybody cancer multiple times.

Been trying to find those papers in recent years, but no luck.

Before anyone poopooes the idea, remember that Kodak Eastman were compensated quite heavily due to the corn stalks that they used to package film in being radioactive enough to mess with the film (strawboard)

Radioactive tamale wrappers? Aw schucks

Saw a PBS program demystifying the famous cattle mutilations in the US SW as testing exposure when someone had the bright idea of fracking a geological formation to release natural gas, and it did, seeping, useless, radioactive natural gas out of the ground. Tissue samples for exposure effects. Project Gasbuggy.

Beef - it's what's for dinner!

My wife was living in Norway downwind of Chernobyl when it melted down. The government had to relax their food purity standards for radiation levels in staples like reindeer meat & chicken when that happened.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

An interesting but disturbing video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

Scott

I remember this! About a decade ago I went on a declassified-nuke-video downloading spree, and I saw this video as well. Still have most of the vids on the HD. It's crazy given our storied past with anthropogenic nuclear pollution. We should all apparently be dead or severely mutated by now. Hiroshima and Nagasaki should be wastelands, but instead it's the year 2018 where medical science covets radioactive isotopes from nuclear power plants to inject into peoples' bloodstream to indiscriminately obliterate cell germ lines.... what a world!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Operation Upshot Knothole also is known for the radiation effects on the cast and crew of the movie The Conqueror, starring John Wayne and Susan Hayward. A significant portion of those people developed cancer and died as a result.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_(film)

John Wayne smoked filterless cigarettes like a chimney for decades as well, it wasn't uncommon among the age group on that movie set.

I have some thyroid nodules my oncologist / hematologist referred me to see an endocrinologist about. He kept asking me about unusual radiation exposure, but my cancer was treated solely by surgery & chemo and I was very concientious about radioactive instrumentation I worked with during my working years. So far, no blood test results of concern and the nodules aren't growing, and are too small for biopsy or surgical removal.

“John Wayne smoked filterless cigarettes like a chimney for decades as well, it wasn't uncommon among the age group on that movie set.“

That’s correct and a reason why I mentioned in a follow up post albeit vaguely that trying to blame the cancer on any one particular thing is hard to do. Mesothelioma is directly related to asbestos exposure but that’s not cancer of course. The most common item is the thyroid gland. Smoking was fashionable in that era. The point after all was said and done is that the cancer rate among the movie crew was well above the average.

If 60-70% of the people living in your block got cancer I would be thinking that something is amiss. I think that is what the article was trying to convey but it’s still inconclusive.

After the great Tohoku Earthquake and triple catastrophe of 2011, it was forecasted by some that cancers might spike due to all the different radioactive particles and exposure. It might be too soon yet to see the effect but the fear alarmists quieted down very quickly afterwards.

There's a big difference between recieving doses of radiation, and ingesting radioactive particles, that lodge and cause disaster.

Taiwan, some buildings were built with steel that had received Co60 contamination, and the health outcomes for the residents were better than average...it was their background radiation, not a lodged particle.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Interesting subject.

The details on Castle Bravo and why the yield was unexpectedly high is an interesting story. If I remember correctly, there was some stuff they thought wouldn't be involved in the reaction, but due to the nuclear reaction of the explosion (nuclear synthesis?), it got converted to "fuel" and gave them more bang than they expected.

Tsar Bomba was a big, big Russian nuke.

The US almost nuked North Carolina in 1961.

There's some amazing stories involving nuclear power and bombs.

Stupidity is hardly ever amazing, especially in the context of nuclear power and bombs.

Its an unlimited natural reasource, and, like plutonium, there's a historically high local concentration in the UK.

My dad watched 7 nukes in the pacific as navy on landing ship. After a blast they would load up marines and land on the islands. He was on deck with dark glasses to watch the nuke. But he never drove the landing ships to the island or did decontamination. He was a gunner and later a electrician mate. No cancer, he did develop Parkinson Lewey Body Dementia. Probably not related but who knows. He did very well until 80.

Miss you Dad

Rod

Around the 3:00 mark in the video, they stated that a "boosted" nuke is a fission reaction that is triggered by an initial fusion trigger. They got it backwards. The fusion reaction is triggered by an initial fission "primer".

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
On Google Earth, look up "Sedan Crater". Zoom out and pan south. Crazy amount of craters!

Very interesting. Thanks for that. Looks like it’s right next door to Area 51.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
There's a big difference between recieving doses of radiation, and ingesting radioactive particles, that lodge and cause disaster.
+1
We can all thank that crazy bunch of radical, old baby boomers & their paranoia, for generations of people clueless about radiation, radio activity and nuclear power.

These same idiots equate microwaving food to "nuking" it, rather than simply HEATING it. More than a few believe that the process of "nuking" it equates to the use of ionizing radiation, thus won't eat any "nuked" food. However, they will clamp a microwave cell phone to their head for hours/day without a thought.

What a shame I had to be born after these idiots and suffer their generational "fallout". Talk about the after-effects of "damaging waste" and damaging LEVELS of such waste...

/rant

Go figure.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back