Mobil 1 0W30 or 5W30 dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nissan Altima and Frontier, both with the 2.5L engine. I am looking at the Mobil 1 0W30afe and 5W30 for my oil. I want an oil to use year round and want the best oil for immediate start up flow, especially in winter. The lowest temperature I see is around 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I can not find any real information about whether the 0W30 would flow faster in the low temperatures I get versus the 5W30. I see both weights are very close at 40 and 100 degrees celsius. I can find no real reliable information for temperatures such as 32 degrees or even 0 degrees Fahrenheit in relation to the two weights and viscosity. It would seem the 0W30 would flow faster the lower the temperature gets, but I do not know if there is much difference or how much there is at the coldest temperatures I see in my area.

I would appreciate any information and suggestions I can get to make a good decision. Thanks.

It probably only asks for 5w30 conventional
I used the 0w30 when i lived in the capital.
Lots of short trips and i needed something
I felt confident idling for an hour in traffic

Cold startups were always quick and quiet
Much more quiet than others i have used.
5w30 and 10w30
Conventional, semi syn, and other full syns
I liked it. Give it a try.
It says it meets all warranty requiremens for 5w30
And 10w30
Although the fuel savings was too small to calculate

"Flow" is not your concern. There is a difference in pumpability at very low temperatures, but it will be quite a bit below 0F. For my old BMW that sat outside in northern Wisconsin a 0W rated oil was not a bad idea, but a 5W rated oil is still perfectly pumpable at the -25F it sometimes saw. Once you get below that then a 0W rated oil starts to matter more.

Originally Posted By: RRLJR
I have a Nissan Altima and Frontier, both with the 2.5L engine. I am looking at the Mobil 1 0W30afe and 5W30 for my oil. I want an oil to use year round and want the best oil for immediate start up flow, especially in winter. The lowest temperature I see is around 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I can not find any real information about whether the 0W30 would flow faster in the low temperatures I get versus the 5W30. I see both weights are very close at 40 and 100 degrees celsius. I can find no real reliable information for temperatures such as 32 degrees or even 0 degrees Fahrenheit in relation to the two weights and viscosity. It would seem the 0W30 would flow faster the lower the temperature gets, but I do not know if there is much difference or how much there is at the coldest temperatures I see in my area.

I would appreciate any information and suggestions I can get to make a good decision. Thanks.

This is probably the most discussed issue in the forum. Check out “ Mobil1 5W-30 vs 0W30 AFE by ZraHamilton dated 01/15/2018.

At the warmer temps I have the following Dynamic viscosities:

So, at 0 C (32 F) in mPas (mega Pascal seconds)

0W-30. 475
5W-40. 753
15 40. 1328

Sorry, couldn’t find 5W-30.

Realistically you wouldn’t notice much difference at 10 F ( -12 C) between 0-30 and 5-30. However if you still want to check it, take one liter of each and put them in your freezer. A freezer is usually -20 C. Do yourself a pour test. It’s not a dramatic difference but you’ll see the 0-30 pours easier. I run 5-30 year round and am totally comfortable doing starts down to -20 C.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RRLJR

Have you ever used 5w-30 in Oklahoma winters before. If so what is the negative result observed you are now trying to fix?

Last edited:
It would be equally valid to ask which was the better oil at the same bucks, which they are.
I'd personally use the AFE 0W-30 always in a 5W-30 application.
No real downside to it, so why not?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It would be equally valid to ask which was the better oil at the same bucks, which they are.
I'd personally use the AFE 0W-30 always in a 5W-30 application.
No real downside to it, so why not?

The fact is why and its harder to find on sale than a number of other 5w oils you could make a choice from.

I also have a Nissan. One year OCIs don't work on Nissans. The engines thin the oil out by 5,000. That's why that's what is recommended in the owners manual.

If you want to go a full year on Mobil 1 I would recomend the 0w40. It has higher levels of detergents to last longer and they will start just fine in Oklahoma.

Both oils exceed the cold starting need. Pick one and drive the car instead of worrying about the wrong thing.

I run Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my vehicles in Iowa. We just saw temperatures of -16F. I had zero concerns about the 5w30, and both vehicles started and ran just fine even at those temps.

Just run the AFE 0w30. I doubt there is a negative to running 0w vs 5w, so even if it helps flow by .00001% I would deem it worthy of being used over 5w30. I doubt you will see any difference and everyone will just have their own opinions without facts. Hard to prove either way, but my logic is...its more probable that there is more benefit to 0w versus 5w.

I’d run the 0W-30, especially if they cost the same. The 0W-30 has a higher PAO content, from what I’ve read. It might run a tiny bit quieter. Try it and see.

Last edited:
If you put the two in the fridge, around 34 F, you can see that the 0W-30 flows slightly better. If you put them in the freezer, around -2 F, the 0W stays thinner by a larger margin. I may post a video of me demonstrating this soon. Also, it is very likely that more PAO content is in the base oil mix to achieve the 0W rating. PAOs don't require as many viscosity index improvers, so M1 0W-30 is likely a very temperature stable oil.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Just run the AFE 0w30. I doubt there is a negative to running 0w vs 5w, so even if it helps flow by .00001% I would deem it worthy of being used over 5w30. I doubt you will see any difference and everyone will just have their own opinions without facts. Hard to prove either way, but my logic is...its more probable that there is more benefit to 0w versus 5w.

Positive displacement pumps, in the pumpable region, i.e. normal human temperatures, there is no difference between the W ratings.

Again, your feelings, and feelings of probablilities don't make it a fact.

(Oh, and again...flow isn't lubrication)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back