Wix XP efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a UOA that can prove that a Wix XP actually filters 50% at 20 microns? I cannot believe that any fiberglass media would filter that poorly. If it did filter that poorly, wouldn't we see a huge increase in wear?

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Does anyone have a UOA that can prove that a Wix XP actually filters 50% at 20 microns? I cannot believe that any fiberglass media would filter that poorly. If it did filter that poorly, wouldn't we see a huge increase in wear?

What parameter(s) of the UOA would you look at to determine filtering efficiency? As for your second question, no it does not appear to work that way in terms of a standard Blackstone UOA.

Does WIX publish ISO filtering results?

There was a member here who claimed that they had done testing at his work, and found this was due to a bad can design. He further stated that taking the filter element out and outtinf it into a better can resulted in much better efficiency.

If there was low test efficiency from a bad can sealing design I'd think WIX engineers would have wondered why it tested so low and investigate why.

WIX won't say anywhere on their website or by a phone call to their their Tech Line what spec they test to, they say it's "propriety information". Seems fishy to me.

I think that the 50% at 20 microns is misinformation. How can a fiberglass media filter worse than a fram extra guard? Look at fiberglass vs. cellulose under a microscope.

I think that the 50% at 20 microns is misinformation. How can a fiberglass media filter worse than a fram extra guard? Look at fiberglass vs. cellulose under a microscope.

Not all synthetic media is the same. It depends on the exact design of the synthetic media.

What kschachn is getting at is that it is arguable that a UOA will give you any information about what you are seeking to prove. It certainly won’t prove it.

With all the torn filters and other issues, this appears to be rapidly shaping up to be a hot topic for (how to quantify filter efficiencies.) 2018.

OH, and why don’t you design a test to gain some information about the subject?

Last edited:
Looking at the microscope media pictures can be misleading. All is not so simple as it appears. Fibers of wood can absorb and trap molecule size particles. Think about a tree. Not only is it intriguing it is amazing, Also boring possibly. Not to me. I like botany.
laugh.gif

I like a blend of synthetic fibers and wood fibers, something like a TG has.
Not a popular idea here.
32.gif

Not that full synth is bad, not saying that at all.

Until someone can prove that a Wix XP can damage an engine, I will continue to use it and reap the benefits of an extremely well-built and free-flowing filter.

It's a free country. Others choose filters for the efficiency as being at the top of the requirements list, since that's the main purpose of an oil filer.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Until someone can prove that a Wix XP can damage an engine, I will continue to use it and reap the benefits of an extremely well-built and free-flowing filter.

It's a free country. Others choose filters for the efficiency as being at the top of the requirements list, since that's the main purpose of an oil filer.
grin2.gif

And someplace in the grand scheme of thins the almost five percent more efficient filter is going to add a lot more life to the average car than it cost the person that bought them. Unfiltered debris cases added wear.

Do we know you with a previous user name? Just wondering as you sound like someone who used to post on here.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Unfiltered debris cases added wear.

Yep, and every paper written on engine wear concludes that the cleaner the oil is kept the less engine wear there will be. A very basic concept to understand.

Yep, and every paper written on engine wear concludes that the cleaner the oil is kept the less engine wear there will be. A very basic concept to understand.

Yes so I say five percent cleaner equals at least 5% more engine life on average.

Yes so I say five percent cleaner equals at least 5% more engine life on average.

Maybe not more "engine life", but less engine wear. A worn engine can still go 300K miles, but be more worn out than the same engine that used more efficient oil filters (but with the same maintenance) over that 300K miles.

Many ppl use cheap filters like the proselect (even cheaper) and my UOA came back great. Something else Bitog overthinks!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Many ppl use cheap filters like the proselect (even cheaper) and my UOA came back great. Something else Bitog overthinks!

Lots of talk about the validity of a normal Blackstone type UOA being a useful tool to measure filter effect on engine wear. Really need an ISO cleanliness particle count test also.

Interesting timing on this subject.I emailed Wix today on the efficiency of the XP line today trying to get clarification. As you all know,their tech department leaves a lot to be desired and their answers are all over the place.It is hard to believe the XP filters do not filter as well and better then the Wix filters below them.If they are better,why would they sand bag the issue? I do not know what to believe with any of the oil filter claims from any of the manufacturers.

I will post what they said via emails over the weekend.For comparison,Fram also emailed me some numbers. Will also post a pic of the bottom of an XP filter that has some interesting numbers written on the base.It looks like beta numbers. Wix says no.

Nobody is going to write efficiency beta numbers on the filter base, or anywhere on the filter itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back