Tips for kicking tires on a fixer-upper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to look at an early 2000s 2.0 Jetta this weekend as a possible cheap commuter car. It's advertised as a "mechanics special" because it's had some issues. After paying for some ignition work that didn't fix the issues, the seller says a mechanic has now told them it's an oil pump issue. The people selling it appear to have little or no mechanical know-how or interest in investing anything in it. I've done research and it looks relatively cheap and easy to replace (under $100), IF that's what's actually wrong.

I'd only pay a little money if I were to pull the trigger on this, just because of the potential risk. My worst-case is that the engine has been starved for oil because of a failed pump.

Is there anything I should look for while checking the car out that would give me an idea of 1) if this really is a failed oil pump; and 2) if so, what kind of damage may have been done?

It's usually not an oil pump that's worn, but the tolerances in the engine are worn to a point where the pressure is low.

If they are saying oil pump be prepared for needing new engine.

if it just needed a 100$ oil pump they would fix it.

Stay away from these, especially since the previous owners sound like maintenance is not their thing. These were some of the worst cars VW ever made. My sister owned a 2001 2.0 auto Jetta and it was trash by 100k miles. VW makes some good cars but the MK4 Jetta was not one of them.

Always expect the worst. And when it comes to 00s VWs, also expect to add in a lot of cursing and anger to replace anything.

I'm with the general consensus here, if it was an easy fix, the mechanic would've told them so when he looked it over. Instead, he probably gave them a list of possible causes, they decided that they didn't want to deal with it/spend money on it, and they listed the cheapest and easiest fix as the recommended fix in their Craigslist ad. I'd keep looking.

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Always expect the worst. And when it comes to 00s VWs, also expect to add in a lot of cursing and anger to replace anything.

This VW has also had a TON of issues with their automatic transmissions. If you do buy the car get an xtool VAG 401 scanner or something similar that reads VW codes, ordinary scanners don't do squat and you will be doing alot of work on the car. VW is a PITA when it comes to fixing them, my wife's 2008 new beetle has been just that, countless issues, [censored] VW has redesigned the brake light switch three time and still hasn't gotten it right. Want a reliable daily commuter buy a honda or toyota. VW suxs, I've had to do more on a 08 new beetle than on my 05 GTO. Also watch out if the car has an Aftermarket radio, improper installation will cause the OBD2 port to fry scanners, that's why most shops don't touch VW with A/M stereos, just Google K-ine issue and you'll see

What is the actual problem with the car?

Pretty clear to me that their "mechanic" has just been guessing. If the car is mint cosmetically and a 5 speed, buy it - only a few hundred bucks though. I'd cap at $500 without seeing it.

There's little risk. A used 2.0 costs pennies.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and skip the VW. Nothing but junk! Get a used Honda or Toyota, they are much better built and much more trouble free overall.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What is the actual problem with the car?

Pretty clear to me that their "mechanic" has just been guessing. If the car is mint cosmetically and a 5 speed, buy it - only a few hundred bucks though. I'd cap at $500 without seeing it.

There's little risk. A used 2.0 costs pennies.

If it were a 5 speed though an "enthusiast" could have formerly owned it and screwed it up six ways to sunday vs "Buffy" who bought the automatic b/c she thought it was "cute".

I'm with the others, though, skip this one.

If you already have a same-body style VW and know the foibles, maybe. If you want a project, get a shoddy copy of whatever you're driving now.

I would buy it assuming the price is right.

I'm a gearhead and like projects I guess.
27.gif

I'll bet 90% of people bashing VWs in this thread have never owned one. The Mk4 2.0 is one of the hardiest and cheap cars currently available. Even here in Toronto, I see TONS of pre 2003 MK4 2.0s still on the road because their only weakness is the auto trans, rear beam bushings (pre 2003) and the inner fender rust.

Most noobs will fear VWs of that era because of the 1.8T which is why you can pick up 2.0s cheap. 2.0s are a simple SOHC 8v design dating back to the 80s. I am biased because my first car was a 2000 golf 2.0 5spd but they are excellent cars and very fuel efficent.

I currently have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T that went 200000km on original auto trans fluid, suck on that VW haters!

Not sure I'd buy anything on Craigslist that has "easy and cheap fix" in the ad lol.

I get tired of the "buy a used Honda or Toyota" bull sheet that flies on websites like this. They have a ton of issues too, they aren't all easy and cheap to fix either. I know and have owned enough of them. Working on 2 Civics now and about over it. Hopefully they stay together since they are going to be my kids rides.

The story of the mechanic fixing the ignition and then thinking it’s the oil pump that is the problem would make me stay far away. You probably will never know the real history of this car. Accidents? Floods? It sounds like a [censored].

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

27.gif

Sound like it’ll be more than just a project. A project is a Jeep or a domestic pickup you can tinker with, not a car that requires heaps of money and is so complicated the average Joe can’t figure it out.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I'll bet 90% of people bashing VWs in this thread have never owned one. The Mk4 2.0 is one of the hardiest and cheap cars currently available. Even here in Toronto, I see TONS of pre 2003 MK4 2.0s still on the road because their only weakness is the auto trans, rear beam bushings (pre 2003) and the inner fender rust.

Most noobs will fear VWs of that era because of the 1.8T which is why you can pick up 2.0s cheap. 2.0s are a simple SOHC 8v design dating back to the 80s. I am biased because my first car was a 2000 golf 2.0 5spd but they are excellent cars and very fuel efficent.

I currently have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T that went 200000km on original auto trans fluid, suck on that VW haters!

Been there, done that, had an MkIV VW. Won’t touch one with a 30 foot pole ever again. It drove and performed great but man, it needed SO much work after a life of being maintained to the T by the same dealer.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

27.gif

Sound like it’ll be more than just a project. A project is a Jeep or a domestic pickup you can tinker with, not a car that requires heaps of money and is so complicated the average Joe can’t figure it out.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Been there, done that, had an MkIV VW. Won’t touch one with a 30 foot pole ever again. It drove and performed great but man, it needed SO much work after a life of being maintained to the T by the same dealer.

I noticed that you left out that it was a TDI or which version of the TDI when this discussion is about gasoline models. The MK4 with a 2.0 mill is about as rock solid as they come. TDI is a different story but you see them with 300+ km for sale here all the time. VWs specifically TDIs are bad for people who don't wrench, or are bad mechanics.
You have to know what you are doing to own them, that's why they are so polarizing.

MK4 v contemporary Toyota or Honda and the interior quality is not even close. The quality MK4 platform helped make VW the biggest automaker in the world. Those early 2000s japanese cars represent the cheapening of those marques.

I haven’t seen it yet. I’d pay $500 tops, so I’d be limiting my damage from the start. I also have my primary vehicle so this one wouldn’t have to be perfect. Like dlundblad said, I kind of like projects. Parts also seem to be very cheap.

We’ll see. I’m back and forth but I’ll at least go look at it. Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back