2014 Road King - Valv Syn 20/50 Motorcycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon To All,

I've listed my Blackstone Oil Report for review. My bike has 12,991 miles on it, this report has 2,979 miles on the oil, it was in service for 16 months.

I usually won't go beyond a year, but I was curious to see if 16 months vs 12 months would make any difference, and it didn't hurt it at all.

I paid about $6.00 per quart, at Walmart, for the Valvoline Motorcycle Oil, Synthetic, 20/50. I am extremely pleased with the results, and really don't see any need to spend $12+ for a quart of boutique oil.

The oil thickened a tad, but so did the $16.00 Red Line oil. The only oil that didn't was Harley's Syn 3.

Didn't burn any oil during the run.

What do you all think?

RevRider

Excellent results, last year I sold 12 qts. of Valvoline SynPower 20w50 for $3/qt. on CL. Hard to sell on the car parts section but went fairly quick in the motorcycle section. I paid .05/qt. at AAP when it went on clearance. Couldn't pass it up at that price. I topped off a beater with it at 10 F a few weeks ago and it seemed to take forever to drain down in the funnel. Nice light, honey color to it. Unlike the Napa conventional that I also used to top off a beater car but that was 5w30 and poured much better.

Looks good
smile.gif

I run the regular version in my Road King , and while I never had a UOA done, it' seems to work fine for me. I have 66k on it and the only oil it uses is a weep from a valve cover. Motor sounds good as ever. I've tried the more pricier oils and didn't notice any difference, except for the cost. They all perform the same in the drain pan.,,

Hey BC,

I was thinking of trying the non-synthetic version of Valvoline's motorcycle oil, I can get that for about $4.00 at WalMart. I put the syn back in on the change - maybe next time.

I love my Road King.

RevRider

Terrific report!
You cant ask for anything more from an oil.
I stated many times I think Valvoline is the most underrated oil and "zinc" content most over rated.
Its the additive package and Valvoline's is unique.

Me personally? If I was using that oil I might be tempted to stay with the Synthetic.
I primarily use conventional oil in all my vehicles but with your long change intervals of a year or more the synthetic might prove more stable. Not sure if that is true, just my feelings and the price savings per year is nothing compared to the cost of the bike.

Furthermore, YES! Love my 14 Road King too.
Its working so well, its almost, dare I say "boring", not sure what else to do to it! :eek:)

My only complaint is, darn, coldest winter since moving here 11 years ago, havent been out on the bike, there is a chance I will get out for a short run sometime this weekend, will see, supposed to hit a high of 70 on Sunday.

Thanks for posting the UOA.

Last edited:
Hi Alarmguy,

I'm fortunate to live in Southern California, at least for weather purposes, pretty much can ride all year long - but the traffic is a real bummer.
mad.gif

My dealer was trying to tempt me to trade it in for the new M8 engine in a Road King, but I have only a handful of payments left on it, then I am debt free on my bike. The best bikes are the ones full paid for.
grin.gif

I test road the new softails with the M8 engine, and they are nice, a ton of power. But, if I was so motivated I could change out my 103 engine for Harley's 120, and still save a ton of money. The truth is, my 103 really does a great job in the power department, I can ride two up with my wife, be in 6th gear on the highway, and without downshifting, pass just about any car or truck on the road.

By the way, when I changed the oil filter, I put on the HiFlo Filtro, and what a treat with the install, that nut on the end of the filter makes it a breeze to install. I don't think I will go back to the HD filter, although I am sure it's a good one, I don't think it's filtering ability is better than HiFlo's and HiFlo is less messy.

Back to oil, Valvoline makes a GREAT PRODUCT, I am going to stick with the synthetic version of it. I am no chemist, but I do think there is more to making a great oil than just saying one oil has more zinc, or calcium, or phosphorus.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
Hi Alarmguy,

I'm fortunate to live in Southern California, at least for weather purposes, pretty much can ride all year long - but the traffic is a real bummer.
mad.gif

My dealer was trying to tempt me to trade it in for the new M8 engine in a Road King, but I have only a handful of payments left on it, then I am debt free on my bike. The best bikes are the ones full paid for.
grin.gif

I test road the new softails with the M8 engine, and they are nice, a ton of power. But, if I was so motivated I could change out my 103 engine for Harley's 120, and still save a ton of money. The truth is, my 103 really does a great job in the power department, I can ride two up with my wife, be in 6th gear on the highway, and without downshifting, pass just about any car or truck on the road.

By the way, when I changed the oil filter, I put on the HiFlo Filtro, and what a treat with the install, that nut on the end of the filter makes it a breeze to install. I don't think I will go back to the HD filter, although I am sure it's a good one, I don't think it's filtering ability is better than HiFlo's and HiFlo is less messy.

Back to oil, Valvoline makes a GREAT PRODUCT, I am going to stick with the synthetic version of it. I am no chemist, but I do think there is more to making a great oil than just saying one oil has more zinc, or calcium, or phosphorus.

My niece and her family just recently moved to Southern CA from CT.
My sister visited a month or so ago think the daytime highs were 80s ? Cool nights, good riding weather for sure.

Our winters are short here normally I get out for some short runs here and there, I just did Sunday for the first time in a while this year, temps hit 70 and once Spring comes, well, not much of a spring, lasts a few weeks and temps shoot up. I like heat, had enough cold in NY.
Traffic where we live, well except rush hour if your in the city area its like anyplace else but man, one thing I love about here is the interstates. We ride them and enjoy them, one way its to the mountains, the other to the beach and normal speeds are 75 to 80. I could never go back to NY just for that reason alone!

As far as the rest of your post, I could have almost copied and pasted it and used it for my own.
My bike is paid for by this spring, less then a handful of payments left and thought about paying it off last year but just let it ride. When I bought this bike, we truly bought it on the fly, even though I knew all about the new Rushmores and why I was interested, we were on vacation in the Smoky Mountains, POURING rain outside with our Yamaha Vstar 1300, Road out on a new Road King.
I told my wife, this is it, the Road King is truly the ultimate bike for me and going to keep it forever, she laughed, I was serious. *L*

Fast forward, she REALLY loves the Road King as well, loves riding with me and enjoy our trips together, so I have to keep that in mind, her comfort. ANYWAY ... then they came out with the new 2018 Heritage!!
Darn, what a great write up I saw in one or two magazines a couple months back, posted one on the links in here at the time, even a magazine from the rider/reviewer who admitted being biased against Harley. They loved it!

I tend to get A.D.D. with bikes over time, though the ride this Sunday reminded me how much I love the Road King, I tend to want to try others. If I did, I would seriously look at the new Heritage for a change, just look, havent been to the showrooms yet. New lockable leather saddle bags, etc,etc The one thing I do not like are spoke wheels and white walls, they would have to be changed out, dont get me wrong, the look is great, just not for me, keeping tires clean is not my thing and spoke wheels, besides cleaning them, we do far to many 100+ mile trips, never had a flat yet, but I am prepared to fix a flat on the road with mag wheels, almost impossible with spokes.

As far as oil filters, all good, Im sure you are fine, Hi-Flo is a huge company and in reality that most likely is the same filter that K & N paints orange and puts their name on.
I continue to use the HD filters as long as the price stays reasonable I dont feel the need to switch, I change oil in all my vehicles, I find it easier and faster then getting in the vehicle and taking it someplace, for the Road King oil filter I bought the HD oil filter wrench, piece of cake removing it using the HD special wrench, has a slot in it to avoid that sensor.

You got that right on oil, less zinc in engines then ever and they last longer then ever.

Im looking forward to looking at this bike in the showroom, click

Also find some BMWs interesting and Kawi and Yami and, and, and ... *L*
But since this Harley, wifes favorite of all time, mine too so I do have to keep that in mind. She does not want to be crunched up on a sport bike and think I do way to many longer trips for one anyway. Which brings us back to that Heritage ... if I was going to seriously consider a new bike it would be one to check out, as far as another Road King, that would be possible but not because of the new M8 engine, also with the Road King, I think 2019 or 2020 might be the year they rework the frame?
Which ... brings us back to the Heritage ... *L*
I do know, Aluminum frames have to be the future, If ever a new bike, it better not weigh more then the current Road King, wont settle for that. I like riding, do not like all this stuff that they pack on some of these bikes and why I also like the RK and Hertage, options for other cruisers are just nuts for me personally, I like to escape all the electronics by riding my bike, my occupation is electronics, I enjoy them but when I want an escape, start up the RK.

Last edited:
I would keep the RK over the Heritage. A much stouter bike for cruising. If you really want to make your wife happy test drive an Ultra.

Yes, I understand the difference between the two, Im really curious with the redesign of the Heritage, simply because many years ago before we owned a Harley we were drawn to the Heritage, then realized the RK I think offers more comfort or whatever, been a while.

As far as "Ultras" Street Glides/Road Glides etc.
For me personally its not for me or us. (my wife and I look at bikes all the time) Having a fairing and all the electronics and heavy (almost massive) weight is not what bike riding to us is, we have cars and trucks for that.

Before anyone comments on that, dont take it personal. We like those fairing bikes, even came close to buying one a year after the Road King, Im sure you know the price difference between the RK and Street Glide is almost nothing. We like ALL bikes, even the larger sport bikes but it doesnt mean every style is for everyone.

I might even own a fairing bike some day, things change but I doubt it, for years now we like (for lack of better words) the stripped down versions of the same exact engine, frame ect touring bikes. Even if I bought a BMW, I would look for the "lite" version in the same class of bike and engine.

I look at the Road King as the sport bike of the touring machines, light, nimble and comfortable in that weight and size class. Its why I also like the Concours, Larger BMWs, the new FJR 13000 with 6 speeds
My bike is my escape in this world and like to leave all the electronics behind and if ever missing something, I can add it myself.

(ok, feel back now, as this thread is about a UOA for Rev Rider, just realised im hijacking)

Revs UOA is impressive for sure and has me convinced if I ever went to a Synthetic I would go with Valvoline which I always liked to begin with.

Last edited:
Well you should ride what you like. Just know that the Ultra will handle very much like your RK. It's amazing how you don't feel like you are on a heavy bike.

I agree, you dont feel the weight, the RK isnt exactly a light weight bike either.
You do feel the weight when stopped though, 2 up with luggage or just pushing around the bike.
For me though, again, I just like the more stripped looking bikes (for lack of better words) and again, my escape from all the electronics. Also the desire to keep it as simple as possible.
Just like buying a car, tastes can change though :eek:)

Last edited:
My son has a 2016 Dyna Street Bob, I ride that from time to time also, it's nice to not always deal with a 800#+ bike especially as I age, I am 61 now, in good shape, no issues dealing with the weight of my Road King, and my Honda Valkyrie - but it's fun riding a "chopper-isk" bike.

I need a bigger garage because I like bikes!

Agree, all points! Yes, tease my wife all the time, I need something like an FJR1300 or Concours or something from HD for quick runs to the store, Red box etc. *L*

I tell my wife it makes sense to have a 3rd one just in case the 1st two bikes are in the shop for service, and I may have to run to the store to pick up milk for her. And, that's the only reason I need another one is to help her.
grin.gif

Literally joined BITOG yesterday because I was so determined to find out more on contents of the Synthetic Valvoline motorcycle oils found at Wal-Mart. RevRider, as far as the hours of searching, you are the only one I know that has ever posted a UOA on this oil (BITOG and beyond). Before yesterday, the only other time I have seen it was in your prior UOA (Redline)... off of the paper, which was by happenstance. I have only found a few anecdotal comments tossed around about it, and much of them are very old comments. After seeing the two UOAs now with the boron, moly, zinc, long lasting KV100, I would say there's little left to objectively justify saying this isn't consistently underrated. The only other key thing I can think of is the HTHS, which i am eager to know, especially for the 10W-40 (synthetic) variant. Lastly, do you think the only difference between this oil and the 10W-40 is the base oil (to say, the additive pack would be the same)?

FYI if you haven't see it, RevRider posted in his Honda Valkyrie with various oils tested and he had a UOA posted this year with the latest one being Valvoline Synth MC 10w-40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back