2008 Civic LX Sedan not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's automatic and has 155K miles, battery is ~2 months old from Costco - interstate one.

Resting voltage of battery is 12.6-12.65V. It was running fine until past weekend and was parked for almost 4-5 days.

Today I went to start and it's not starting. While cranking battery light on the ODO stays on. Could it be an alternator or a starter? It does have fuel.

Thank you for any of your help.

If it starts with a jump and the voltage is less than 14 (running), probably the alternator. If it won't jump, probably the starter

Try jumping it and if that doesn't work, it's probably the starter perhaps. Any noises like the starter trying to engage/spin?

I'll try to jump it in a bit. It does make a noise when I try to crank, but it's not a powerful one, like maybe starter sound is missing from it?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I'll go ahead and do it. How much should be the voltage while cranking or with headlights on?

Around the same voltage for at least a few minutes. If it drops significantly the battery is shot.

Is it cranking normally and just not starting? If so, the battery and the starter are fine and you're likely just missing spark or fuel. If it's not cranking normally, then you probably have a battery or starter problem.

I don't think it's cracking normally since sound of cranking is kind of faint.

Fuel is there, almost 1/4 of the tank and will check on spark too.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Is it cranking normally and just not starting? If so, the battery and the starter are fine and you're likely just missing spark or fuel. If it's not cranking normally, then you probably have a battery or starter problem.

It's cracking but with a weak crank, I guess?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'll go ahead and do it. How much should be the voltage while cranking or with headlights on?

Around the same voltage for at least a few minutes. If it drops significantly the battery is shot.

So I turned headlights on and measured battery resting voltage, it was showing 12.05V. Then started to drop, say in 5-10 secs was dropping by 0.01V.

Is this normal?

So I turned headlights on and measured battery resting voltage, it was showing 12.05V. Then started to drop, say in 5-10 secs was dropping by 0.01V.

Is this normal?

Sounds like the battery is good.

Fuel doesn't mean in the tank, it means fuel pressure and injector pulse.

How cold is it? Might be a good idea to keep the tank more filled when not driving often to prevent condensation.

Maybe not hurt to dump a bottle of drygas in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back