ETCG Q&A With Valvoline Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad for Travis at the very beginning of the video. He said Valvoline started in 1966, only a hundred years off, close enough.

At time point 28:56 (use the video slider to get there), she mentions that Valvoline MaxLife has an "ashless AW & FM" ingredient.
Is this some kind of ester? Or is it the sodium-based compounds Valovline is famous for? I think sodium (Na) is considered a subset of ash, but maybe someone knows for sure. If Na is considered ash, then all I can think of is Polymer Esters to be AW&FM.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Sodium would be considered ash. Ashless would have to be an organic compound (such as the ester you mentioned).

Interesting that Erin in the video would mention ashless AW/FM specifically in their MaxLife High Mileage oils. Implying there is more of that in their MaxLife oils compared to Synpower or VWB. Maybe the time point I posted above is off a bit. Should be 28:43 where Erin is talking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
I remember this vid from years back and everyone commenting about Erin the oil babe

Read that just now. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3440235/1
Completely un-cool and stupid to comment on someone's looks in that environment. Gender doesn't matter here. Wish some people would show some class, even when posting online.

When Erin commented on the ashless AW/FM in MaxLife, I can't figure out why a High Mileage type oil would even need any more of that than normal oil.
Extra seal conditioners, yes, but more AW/FM seems to be unnecessary compared to Synpower.

It seems like the Synpower Maxlife is their top oil. They made it seem like all of the additives were better in it. More detergents, dispersants, and antioxidants, more anti-wear and friction modifiers, including the ester, and seal conditioners. They also said you can use it in a new car from day one.

I like valvoline, but I never understood why anyone would use regular synpower when the maxlife full synthetic is the same price and supposedly a better product. I see red bottle maxlife priced similarly to VWB also.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I like valvoline, but I never understood why anyone would use regular synpower when the maxlife full synthetic is the same price and supposedly a better product. I see red bottle maxlife priced similarly to VWB also.
Further confusing is where the new https://team.valvoline.com/promo/modern-engine flavor of Valv syn fits in. Valv Synpower already meets dexos2 Gen2 which covers modern engines like this new flavor claims to.
And of course MaxLife is meeting dexos1 Gen2 too, so it can be used everywhere as well. Valvoline marketing has gone nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back