New member -- Acura -- oil/filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, have been lurking for some time. Just bought my Fathers 2008 Acura TL from him last week with 112 thousand miles on it. He would get the oil/filter changed when the MM would hit 20% at the local garage with 5W20 conventional oil & there budget filter. The car only seen conventional oil its whole life since he bought it new in 08. Would it be ok to use a synthetic oil at this point of its life? I was leaning on using a high mileage oil. What should I use, a conventional high mileage oil or a synthetic high mileage oil? Does not leak or burn any oil since day one. He bought a new 2018 Toyota Avalon. Gave me a good deal & I bit. Been reading that Fram Ultra filters are good also?

If you're going by the MM then by all means keep going with what's been working. A quality conventional high mileage oil wouldn't be a bad idea but by no means necessary. A synthetic would really only be good for extending your OCIs beyond what the MM tells you.

Fram Ultras are great filters. Be confident using them for two OCIs.

10 years and 100k+ miles might be a good time to pull the valve cover and take a look inside to get a general idea of it's cleanliness, but that's just being anal.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

10 years and 100k+ miles might be a good time to pull the valve cover and take a look inside to get a general idea of it's cleanliness, but that's just being anal.

At ~100k miles, car is due for timing belt/water pump/valve adjustment/plugs. So, time to take the valve covers off anyways.

It wouldn't hurt one bit to switch to a synthetic (high mileage or not, it'll all work fine), and to offset the cost, you can likely run it longer than the MM indicates (at the very least, run it down to 0%). You should be able to run a 0W20 as well, which may make starts on super cold days a little easier, but largely no difference with 5W20.

I believe that's just about time for spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, coolant services. If not done recently, probably doesn't hurt to do the transmission fluid too.

Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic version, 0w20 recommended. Keeps older seals flexible to prevent future leaks. It meets higher standards (dexos1 Gen2). Cheap at walmart.
Fram Ultra is indeed the best, on the merits. It holds a lot of dirt, and is good for up to 20,000 miles.

I would stick with what has worked for the first 112k. If you really feel strongly about running synthetic but worry about any issues then a synthetic blend will work. Any major brand will do.

welcome2.gif
to the asylum. As you can see, plenty of good advice on this forum!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would stick with what has worked for the first 112k. If you really feel strongly about running synthetic but worry about any issues then a synthetic blend will work. Any major brand will do.

+1. I've owned three Acuras with a V-6 through 2008 and all did well on conventional or synthetic blend. You could save some money and messy hands by using a Fram Ultra filter for two of your OLM intervals. Ultra is now rated for 20K miles. Your major vehicle service was due at 105K.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

At ~100k miles, car is due for timing belt/water pump/valve adjustment/plugs. So, time to take the valve covers off anyways.

What mightymousetech said. Be read to pay up if father didn't do the service.

These cars last as long running Jiffy lube oil and filters as any other oil and filter. Todays oils are the not same as the oils run in the 1960's. Since you want to learn, the air filters and sealed intake plumbing is the best oil filter.

Id run a low cost syn or syn blend simply because they recommend it in similar, newer engines. But it's really for peace of mind if the manual allows for conventional.

The same filter is used on most Honda cars, and is a common form
factor. Ive run Honeywell OEM filters bought in bulk for around $4 each, as well as a few others like fram Ultra and Napa platinum.

My Father said Honda VTEC motors are good motors. What is your opinion on these motors overall. Trying to learn as much as possible & I seen your an Acura Tech.

Yes, Fram Ultra is an excellent filter. It is OK to use synthetic at any mileage. Synthetic oil and a Fram Ultra changed when the MM tells you to will give you many more enjoyable miles with no problems
smile.gif

Yes. I currently own a 2008 Acura TL and use 5w-20 Maxlife with a Wix filter. Previously used Mobil 1 syn blend from the dealership until they changed oil to Gulf Brand. Maxlife has done well with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Daulton
My Father said Honda VTEC motors are good motors. What is your opinion on these motors overall. Trying to learn as much as possible & I seen your an Acura Tech.

I didn't know that Honda made vtec electric motors. Did you mean engines?

I drive and abuse an Acura TL type S most every day, it has 234k miles, I change oil once a year whether it needs it or not! Mobil super 5000 5W20 conventional . I leave it idling with heat or a/c on for hour or more often with my dogs in it. It never breaks down! It still runs and drives like it has 50k miles on it.

I buy the standard Wix filters from Rock auto for about $4.40 ea. I buy a case of 12 for each of my vehicles. The Fram Ultra is a great filter also, but cost twice the price of the wix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back